1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

foiled...

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by VTDave, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Oct 29, 2010 at 4:18 AM
    VTDave

VTDave [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 4x4 Base 5sp Man, 16 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6sp Man
    Last night I did an oil change on my V6 Mustang when I was too tired to pay proper attention, after working 12 hours (Doh.)

I accidentally allowed a piece of the aluminum foil seal (that seals the top of the oil jug) to get poured down the filler tube. This piece is about 1/2" x 2/3". I didn't see it go down the tube, but the jug made a "glug" sound and then I couldn't find the foil anymore. :sadviolin:

For those who don't know the engine layout, the filler tube is at the front of the driver's side valve cover, near the timing chain. I shined a flashlight in there and couldn't find the foil.

Should I:

1) Freak out and start pulling parts until I find the foil - valve cover, oil plan, etc? (Because it might plug an oil return passage, etc.)

2) Hope it eventually makes its way to the pan, filter, or pick-up screen and do a short oil change interval?

3) Do nothing.

4) Plan B - your suggestion.

Lesson learned: when it's late at night, I should stick to jugs that don't contain oil or foil.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Oct 29, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I have no suggestions Dave but I am always worried if I miss a teeny sliver of the foil on those things.
    Can't imagine the whole thing
    best of luck
    here is a bump

3. Oct 29, 2010 at 6:31 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Damn man, that sucks! I dropped the foil top into a motorcycle gas tank (fuel additive) and it's been driving me nuts. Fuel is a little different than engine oil though... I would try 'flushing' the engine oil to see if it comes out the drain plug. I'd buy a few extra quarts, open the drain plug and start pouring into the filler tube. You might get lucky and have it flush out. You'd be able to reuse the engine oil also, since it's new. I'd try that before tearing into anything. I'm not sure of the mechanical ramifications of leaving it vs tearing apart the block so someone else can hopefully help you out with that.

4. Oct 29, 2010 at 7:45 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I wouldn't stop till I found that thing man. I had a gasket break apart on a supercharged dodge dakota. That crap clogged the suction screen and the engine fried.

Don't leave it in there imho.

5. Oct 29, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I never understood why they gotta use that shit on the bottles.

I make sure I peel every bit of that stuff off when I change my oil.

You could change the oil again and hope you find the piece.....

Products Discussed in

To Top