1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fold-a-cover mounting

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by proff49, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Mar 24, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    proff49

proff49 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Webster, Ohio
    Searched and couldn't find much. I'm considering a fold-a-cover and am wondering how it mounts and are the cleat rails on the bedsides still useable? How hard is it to remove?

I've pretty much narrowed my search to the fold-a-cover or the Advantage hard hat.

2. Mar 25, 2011 at 5:26 AM
    kb1jop

kb1jop Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Springfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona Red 4WD DCSB 6-Speed SR5
    Factory Towing Package Factory Roof Rack OEM Bed Mat Trifecta Tri-Fold Tonneau SeatSaver Custom-Fit Seatcovers WeatherTech Custom-Fit Floor Mats Block Heater: http://www.metrotpn.com/ProductDetails.aspx?CollectionID=13&ProductID=191&SortIndex=9
  3. Mar 25, 2011 at 5:42 AM
    proff49

Member:
    South Webster, Ohio
    I'm looking for the Fold-a-cover G4. I found a link to what I think is the installation instructions in an old thread but it doesn't work. Can't even find a manufacturer site in a google search. I did find pics that show the cleats about an inch below the cover but haven't found anything on how the cover mounts.

4. Mar 25, 2011 at 5:45 AM
    Jere

Jere Outdoorsman

Member:
    Northern Chester County, PA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Access SR5 4x4 4cyl
    ^^^^ What kb1jop said. The Extang Trifecta mounts in about 10 minutes tops the first time you put it on, should take less than 3 minutes to remove, and less than 5 to reinstall. You rally can't get away without lying on your back in the bed and tightening the front mount. The rear is a spring loaded clasp. All four corners mount into the existing bed rail. All existing bed rail cleats stay in place and are still useable. The Trifecta is a three section folding cover that can be flipped up to the front and nylok snapped in place for highway driving while covering only one-third of the bed. Handy for an unexpected need to carry something tall than the bed sides while away from home or handy storage for the top. I have had mine for a year, and only took it off once to do a better cleaning of the bed of the truck. Otherwise the fold forward mode has been sufficient for all my tall hauling needs.

5. Mar 25, 2011 at 7:27 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    The Fold a Cover takes about 1 hour to mount but it can be removed in about 10 minutes. It mounts on the top of the bed sides so the cleats and rails are useable. I've had mine about a year and I'm really happy with it.

6. Mar 26, 2011 at 7:20 AM
    proff49

Member:
    South Webster, Ohio
    I'm looking for a solid, folding cover. Ruled out the Extang solid fold because of the quality issues I've read about. I'm down to the Fold-a-cover G4 elite or Advantage hard hat.

I asked this in another thread but I'll ask again here. When you remove the G4 are the rails held down with tape or clamps. I will have to remove it from time to time. If they are held in place with tape only when the cover is removed I'll probably go with the hard hat.

To Top