1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FOOL PROOF way to improve your gas mileage!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by twhalm, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Feb 21, 2017 at 8:33 AM
    tgear.shead

tgear.shead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Compared to the weight of the vehicle, the difference made by "heavier tires" is negligible. This can only make a marginal change in efficiency, and only during CITY driving (when you are spending your time accelerating).

Wider tires can impact aerodynamics slightly, as well as road resistance, since they will be in contact with a larger patch of ground.
    Taller tires WILL impact aerodynamics, since they will hold the vehicle up higher, increasing the aerodynamic profile made by the vehicle.

2. Feb 21, 2017 at 8:37 AM
    twhalm

twhalm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD/OR Manual, OME , Dual battery
    You will obviously lose MPG with a larger tire, but the 3% (or whatever) is added back after those losses. So your odometer may say you dropped from 20 to 17 with a larger tire, but in reality when compensating for size you may have only dropped from 20 to 18.

3. Feb 21, 2017 at 12:47 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Or get credit to buy anything.

Agreed though, a while back when fuel went way up all the people who overbought were dumping their gas guzzlers

4. Feb 21, 2017 at 12:54 PM
    TACORIDER

TACORIDER Just another statistic

Member:
    First Name:
    JAKE
    EAST TAWAKONI TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    12 TACO and some other Toyota’s
    I bought my diesel in 08 cheap because they jumped to 5$ a gallon and I always wanted one but drove my bike to work so fuel didn't matter to me

5. Feb 21, 2017 at 1:16 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    I agree with all of your points and I actually do these things most of the time. As a result, I enjoy very good MPGs for a pickup truck, as shown in my fuelly tag below.
    Offered as a contrast and not as an argument... here are the issues I have encountered while trying to get better MPG:
    Most driver's can't be bothered to look beyond the phone in their hand, let alone actually pay attention to traffic conditions. They fuck up my MPG when they drift into my lane and I have to hit my brakes, saving both me and them from them. They fuck up my MPG when they make everyone behind them wait through *yet another light cycle* because they didn't go on green.
    Those drivers that are actually paying attention, are not automatically good, safe drivers just because they are paying attention. Drivers who are simply bad drivers fuck up my MPG too.
    Also, how many people carry a valid driver's license, who cannot even read the plain language of the road signs? So, our MPGs are fucked because melting pot-welcome everyone and don't assimilate anything.
    Hybrid drivers... omg I can't even start on that one. What is wrong with people.
    We are not fighting a losing battle for better MPGs, but we certainly have obstacles, they are our fellow drivers.

EDIT: Since hardly anyone else is driving for MPGs like we are, we will be pissing off plenty of people who are simply on auto pilot trying to get to their destination. We are not making friends either.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    tacoguy67 and twhalm[OP] like this.
  6. Feb 21, 2017 at 1:21 PM
    THROTTLE231

THROTTLE231 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    High Dez,Comifornia
    Vehicle:
    2011MGMDCSB6MT With Not So So Cool Shit...
    I LIKE BEER....
  7. Feb 21, 2017 at 3:35 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Good example of the other side. My old Camaro wasn't easy on fuel, nor did my teenage right foot help. But living 5 minutes from work helped.

I worked with a guy who bought a Excursion just because he wanted one. He got a beating that next year when prices jumped and was already upside down in the vehicle.

Products Discussed in

To Top