1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Footwell Lighting help?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by StreetTaco05, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Feb 16, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    StreetTaco05

StreetTaco05 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5 access Cab Mildly moded
    3" Pro Comp Lift 285/70/17 Pro Comp A/T Flowmaster Exhaust AFE Intake Custom Decals ATFL Mod
    I went to autozone and picked up a set of the flat 6 LED flexible light strips. My theory on installing them was i could tap into the dome light so they would come on when i turned the dome light on or when i opened the door. so i went for the black harness connector in the drivers kick panel. ive tried multiple combinations between the dome light harness and the door courtesy wiring connector.Ive gotten them to come on when the door is closed and not when it is open or they were on all the time and very dim. i did however ground to the ground in the kick panel and not directly to the harness to reduce clutter. could this be the reason im not getting the footwells to light up.any help as far as what harnesses/ wire colors or other parts i need or what i could be over looking?

thanks

2. Feb 16, 2012 at 1:29 PM
    Whitster

Whitster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    '09 AC w/SR5 & TRD, 6' bed
    I use a little 9-led flashlight and keep it in the overhead glasses case. Then I can point it anywhere I want it.

Whit

3. Feb 19, 2012 at 12:59 AM
    StreetTaco05

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3" Pro Comp Lift 285/70/17 Pro Comp A/T Flowmaster Exhaust AFE Intake Custom Decals ATFL Mod
    I taped into wires 2 and 9 of the black roof harness in the kick panel. On with the doors opens , fades when closed and on when manually switched to on at the dome
    [​IMG]

4. Feb 19, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    I hooked the foot well lights into the dome light itself. The dome light switch will operate the foot well lights same as the dome light. It was not all that hard to run the wires from the dome to the foot well.

5. Feb 24, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    dylanray

dylanray Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dylan
    henderson
    i installed a memphis 10 in a custom sub box and put a kenwood radio in, fire lights
    i bought those same led strips (i think) i bought some others with a cigarette lights plug and connected the led strip and other lights all to that one plug so i can turn them all on with the push of a button and off the sa.me way

6. May 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    jut619

jut619 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    subs, lift, system, tires, rims
    where do you find the wires to wire into dome light? i want my leds to turn on every time the dome light does. fading all that good stuff. thanks

7. May 25, 2012 at 1:43 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    I ran the wires up to the dome itself. I have an aftermarket LED light installed and I spliced into the wires going to the LED panel. Very simple and quick.

8. May 25, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    jut619

jut619 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    subs, lift, system, tires, rims
    i have an aftermarket led light as well. where did u run the wires? kinda new to this wiring bs

9. May 25, 2012 at 2:11 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Take off the drivers side hand grab on the A pillar and the drivers side sun visor. Pull off the dome light and let it hang down. It is very easy to fish the wire from the dome opening to the front on the windsheild and down the A pillar. You do not have to remove the headliner. Be careful when running the wire dorm the A pillar as to not block the airbag if deployed. From the A pillar it is clean drop into the wheels ell foot area.

10. May 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    StreetTaco05

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Im in the midst of doing a write up on footwell light installs with dim capability using factory wiring

11. May 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM
    tacomafide

tacomafide Cheese it in there!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport+Leather Pkg.
    de-badged, de-stickered, no jewlery, level kit (removed after second front dif), tint, skid plate (now dented), front tow hook off of Land Cruzer, reciever d hook (cleavis), yellow wire mod, abs kill sw. mod, window visors, stubby antena, anytime reverse lights mod, anytime reverse camera mod, blizzacks on stealies, bed lights mod, weathertec mats allround,
    Could u pls expand on this?

12. May 26, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    I looked at the wiring schematics for a long time before just tapping into the dome light. The tapping into the existing dome light just seemed to make more sense then trying to solder on to the existing wiring harness. The added benny is the footwell lights act in the same manner as the dome light and the associated dome light switch.

13. Jun 13, 2012 at 10:02 PM
    Sir Foux

Sir Foux New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    College Station
    Vehicle:
    '01 PreRunner
    I have a 2001 Tacoma Prerunner regular cab. I've been needing to swap out the factory lights for LEDs, but I when I put the LED bulb in I had the flickering problem unless the key was turned to the ACC position. Thanks to otoball in this thread I was able to fix that issue. I also wanted to have lights for my foot wells, so I ordered some 12 inch LED strips here. Now, I wanted the LED strips to be controlled by the dome light switch, so I took the advice from 95SLE earlier in this thread and tied it into the wires in my aftermarket dome light that I purchased here. I had to get the small 4cm X 4cm LED panel, so that it would fit in the dome assembly

Here's my write up:

DomeandFootwelllightinstall_691c27718ea778a4942a04eb5f7f186981f9be68.jpg.

Disconnect the negative battery terminal before you start!

Step 1: Solder the 1w - 100ohm resistor and install it in the assembly (otoball needed 2 resistors for his bulb, but mine worked with just one). Since the wiring in the LED kit is fairly long, and you need to splice the LED strips to them, run the connector out to the back side and back to the front through the holes indicated by the arrows.

Step 2: Splice about 7 ft. of wire to both the positive and negative wires. Solder the wires then wrap them in electrical tape (or use heat shrink, I didn't have any). Splice into the wires that connect directly to the festoon "bulb" so that if you mess up you can just order the connector as opposed to buying another LED panel.

Step 3: Complete the two splices and its ready to go into the truck.

Step 4: Remove the sun visors on both the driver and passenger side so that you can get access to the headliner area easier.

Step 5: Since the wire splices are behind the dome assembly, thread the wires into the frame and back out so that you can tuck it into the headliner.

Step 6: After tucking the wire in the headliner put the visors back and run the wires down the A pillar. The pillar cover is only held on by two clips, so you can pull it out with a little tug.

Step 7: Add a couple of zip ties to keep the installation clean!

Step 8: Pop the pillar cover back on and then attach the LED strip in the foot well area. Tuck the excess wires away and you're finished!

Side note: The LED panel that I used is slightly thicker than needed, so it prevents the dome light cover from lying flat on the assembly. Its only slightly noticeable though.

A couple more pics: The first one has a little glare from my iPhone case..
    Dome_cf04a87e854e8b19e0200783af81236ef2d369b6.jpg
    Passenger_629d5b0496f710c2da6e37080f5c51ad52efb1bb.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Jun 14, 2012 at 4:29 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Great write up Justin. Welcome to TW

15. Jun 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    Sir Foux

Sir Foux New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    College Station
    Vehicle:
    '01 PreRunner
    Thanks for the welcome! I spent hours trying to figure this out and I figured I could combine all the info I found and hopefully help someone save some time!

16. Jun 15, 2012 at 3:52 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Nice work Justin!!!

I found your method to be the easiest for the install. The footwell lights are a nice touch in the cab.

17. Jun 15, 2012 at 4:16 AM
    redz80

redz80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brampton, ON
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 TRD 4x4 SWB
    sub'd Great write up guys!

18. Jun 17, 2012 at 5:04 PM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    Finished this yet?

19. Jun 17, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
  20. Jun 18, 2012 at 6:14 AM
    Sir Foux

Sir Foux New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    College Station
    Vehicle:
    '01 PreRunner
    This was the method I originally wanted to use, but when I removed the kick panel I couldn't figure out which wires connected to the dome light. There is a bundle of 8-10 wires and I didn't want to start blindly cutting them. Do you have a method that I can use to figure it out?

Products Discussed in

To Top