1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

For my son

Discussion in 'Personal & Emotional Support' started by cntstan, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Nov 18, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Prayers go out for your son, you, and your family. Keep being awesome and there for him, he knows it for sure whether or not it may not seem apparent!

2. Nov 18, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
  3. Nov 18, 2010 at 9:29 PM
    ozark705

ozark705 "f*#@ it, dude. let's go bowling"

Member:
    Mid-MO
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 DBL Cab SR5
    Gray Wire mod, Deckplate Mod w/aFe dry filter, anti-axle wrap u-bolt mod, fog light mod, LED interior lighting mod, & seafoam enthusiast
    Chuck, keep the faith and know that you and your family are in mine and my wife's prayers.

4. Nov 19, 2010 at 5:16 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Surrounding :pray:Porter:pray: and his family in prayer this morning.

5. Nov 19, 2010 at 7:40 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Ahh yes, sorry I forgot to mention that part of it. Depending it should come within a year of the type 1 diagnosis and insulin treatment. I can see the Endo not wanting to start him on a pump just yet for that reason.

Shooting you a PM.

6. Nov 22, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Bump!

How you guys holding up with the diabetes management?

7. Nov 22, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Just found this... thoughts and :pray: for your son and your family.

8. Nov 22, 2010 at 6:17 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Still praying Chuck, be strong through this hard time. :pray:

9. Nov 22, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    cntstan

cntstan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    I think our son is holding up better than we are. It's just a little overwhelming with all of the new information and schedule changes. We obviously are having to change the way we eat, not so much what but how much and when etc. He's holding up surprisingly well with 4 insulin shots per day and all of the finger sticks for checking his BS levels. His numbers are looking great and we had a full day of diabetes education today and will have one more on Wednesday. I guess the hardest part so far is just trying to keep him from feeling hungry.......he can't just go pick up something and eat it now because he's hungry like he used to. I think on Weds. we're supposed to begin to learn how to dose his insulin based on what he's going to eat. I think that will make it a little more tolerable for him and for us, it just sucks seeing him hungry and not knowing exactly what he can have if anything. If you know of foods that don't affect his BS levels I would love to hear some suggestions! Our appt. Weds. is with a diabetic dietician so I think we'll have some better ideas after that.
    I sure do appreciate all the support, it helps me mentally to know that so many people are praying for, and thinking of my little man. It still amazes me all of the knowledge that is on this "truck site". By the way, my wife says to give you guys a BIG "Thanks" also. So............THANKS!!!!!!!!!

10. Nov 23, 2010 at 6:22 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chuck, sounds like everything is moving along well, thanks for the update.

I agree that the people on this site willing to share their knowledge of things other than trucks is amazing.

We'll keep this, you and your wife, as well as the others things you mentioned, in our thoughts and prayers.

:pray:Porter:pray:

11. Nov 23, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
  12. Nov 23, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    Prayers out to your little man and you too !

13. Dec 4, 2010 at 10:03 PM
    JTanner

JTanner Misplaced Texan

Member:
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR MGM
    stock..for now
    I know I'm coming into this thread late but I just wanted to say that it is written, in not so many words that God would never challenge us with anything we could not handle THROUGH HIM. Prayer and faith are two of the greatest things we have been given AND THEY WORK! Stay strong and keep your head up. I'm a father and I hope that if things get tough like this that I can be half of what I'm sure you have been to your little one. God bless your family and know that the prayers are going up from southern California tonight.

14. Dec 4, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Great post, X2! Keep us updated Chuck. :pray:

15. Dec 4, 2010 at 10:25 PM
    VTGrrr

VTGrrr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pt.
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    01 2.7L i4 access cab | The Grrr.
    drop in k&n for now. Deckplated. Got rid of the intestinal airpipe and baffleys. Replaced with shiny big pipe of more straightness.
    Candles lit and thoughts added to a very long list of names right now.
    Much luck and health.

Slange.

16. Dec 4, 2010 at 10:39 PM
    Crazyfrog

Crazyfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Monroe Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4X4 DC
    OME 885's, Bilstien 5100, 2"AAL, Weathertechs, AVS visors, Access bed cover
    Coming in late on this as a newbie on here, but Prayers will be sent your way, for the entire family. Things like this can be trying for everyone, so stay strong and keep the faith.

17. Dec 4, 2010 at 11:03 PM
    STravis

STravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Ruidoso, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad
    I know i'm young, but i've been through a lot in my life. My dad has had diabetes for as long as I can remember. One summer, he got a staff infection and was in the ICU for 2 weeks because it threw off his blood sugar. As a kid it's hard to see your own father in that position, so helpless. It was hard to stay positive and keep the family going. Being positive had an effect on everybody involved and pulled us through it and now my dad is healthier than ever.

My grandma was also diagnosed with terminal lung cancer 7 years ago. They say it is untreatable, but they wanted to do chemo to see if it affected the cancer but my grandma did not want to do it. She did not want to spend what time she had left in that state of health. They gave her only 2 to 3 years left to live, and that was 7 years ago. She has been the most positive and happy and she seems to be dealing with it the best. She has completely left it up to God and she is one of the happiest people I know. We have made it to where we are through God and being positive. Sure, she is getting weaker by the day but she keeps a positive outlook and knows everything happens for a reason.

You need to be there for your son and be positive. I know if I was in your kids position, I would not want to see my parents down because it would make me more worried. You need to be positive and supportive and always try to be happy. Never lose faith in what Gods plan is because he is in contol.

I hope this helps and the best of luck to you and your family.

:pray:

18. Dec 5, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Glad to hear things are getting better

19. Dec 5, 2010 at 11:31 AM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    I couldn't have said it any better. :pray:

20. Dec 5, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    cntstan

cntstan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    Just checking in and saw the posts. Thanks to all you guys!!!! He is doing very well and is adjusting to the shots with no problems. It's amazing how resilient kids are, they somehow seem to lift us up even when we're the ones that need to be strong. He was even able to have some birthday cake at a party this week :) He also got about 50 get well cards this week from a school near us. I'm not sure how the students there found out about Porter but it sure did make him happy to read all those cards. Anything that makes him smile right now makes me smile twice as big! Thanks again guys, and if I haven't said it before....you all are just awesome!

To Top