1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

For the military people here

Discussion in 'Military' started by pittim, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Mar 4, 2009 at 6:45 PM
    pittim

pittim [OP] Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    IN, PA
    Vehicle:
    Dented and rusty
    Pink slider.
    It's funny, whenever I tell people that I'm thinking about joining the military I get only two responses, either do it or don't do it.

People that are either currently in now, veterans, or have immediate family in the military all say do it.

People that see what the media shows them say don't do it.

But I guess that's obviously how the responses would turn out haha.

2. Mar 4, 2009 at 6:51 PM
    Colinwoods84

Colinwoods84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 Sport Double Black
    The people who say dont do it have no experience. There usually the ones who are doing nothing with their lives any way. What do they know. Was their older brothers friend in and hated it? Its always some bull shit. If you think its something you want to do go for it. If not, then dont. All those people though will still be there if and when you go.

3. Jun 30, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    roughnready62

roughnready62 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5
    K&N Intake SoftTopper
    I've seen both types of officers (prior service, and just O's) and some have been great, and some have been awful. At the end of the day, who you are and your personality will determine what type of officer you are. If you are hard working, selfless, and determined, you will succeed...but if you are a douche bag who has been spoon fed a living from your parents, chances are you will still be a douche bag when you become an officer. Being enlisted does help some, especially being able to relate to your soldiers, and letting them know you have seen the same shit they are seeing right now. However, it can be distracting at times, because you sometimes have a tendency to micromanage....which is a big no no in the officer world.

8 years is a very long time, I would suggest that you pursue a ROTC scholarship because it is an easier transition to military life from college life (whereas being a private will be a complete shock) as giving you a chance to be responsible and lead soldiers (which is the greatest honor). You will be treated like shit in Basic training, and then when you get to your unit, you will have to live in the barracks...among many other things.

Just something to think about. if you have any questions feel free to drop me a line.

4. Jun 30, 2009 at 11:40 AM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    Dude, go AF, you will probably get the most time out of the branches to get your studies done, depending on the job you take. We have 100% tuition assistance like the other branches, we have a great GI Bill that is fully transferable to your family members(people should read up about this one, the new bill is freaking awesome!!), and we also have this great program for people who want to go warrant officer, its called Blue to Green, and all you need to do is make E5 in a certain career field and transfer over to the Army. There are many great things about it, and i am not saying don't join the other branches, because we all know that they are much needed and the brave men and women, but if you want to get your school done while you are in within a couple of years, the AF makes it easy.

5. Jun 30, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR S/C 4x4
    TRD S/C, Full OME Suspension, LR UCAs, Relentless Front Bumper, Derpwerx Fab HC Rear Bumper, 285/75/16 Revos, XD Hoss Wheels, Safari Snorkel, Infiniti FX-R HID Retrofit, Airbags in rear, Optima Yellow top, Besttop, All-Pro Skid, All-Pro HD Sliders
    Holy thread revival batman

6. Jun 30, 2009 at 12:14 PM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    Haha, dude i didn't even notice the OP date, i just noticed the new post, LOL. Oh well, old info or new info, its still info, LOL.

To Top