1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

For those of you with double din dvd/navi players..

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by jefferson, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Dec 30, 2008 at 9:29 AM
    jefferson

jefferson [OP] needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    I was curious if any of you have done a hack to be able to use your dvd player when the parking break is not engaged. My instruction manual states that I should run the green cable to the parking break switch so when the break is not engaged it will not allow the dvd options to work. I don’t want to drive around watching dvds or anything, but I’m not much of a fan of wiring safety switches for myself!

Do you guys/gals know if I just ground out the wire and it will work (or maybe put it directly in line with the negative side of the stereo harness itself??)

Any hints will be great. Otherwise my double din install went in great!

2. Dec 30, 2008 at 9:34 AM
    montgomery_30824

montgomery_30824 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Guyton, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '06 prerunner 4dr
    K & N airfilter, custom built 10" sub boxes, pioneer head, mag-lite mod, Blue LED dash lights, custom painted engine cover, mud flap removal mod, alarm/remote start installed,
    it should just be a ground wire. when i had mine in the ranger i put it on a switch so when i wanted it on i could flip the switch.

3. Dec 30, 2008 at 9:36 AM
    808trdsport

808trdsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport Prerunner
    6000k HIDS, double tint in the back and tint front side windows, CGS cat back exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter
    yup just ground it.

4. Dec 30, 2008 at 9:38 AM
    glk21c

glk21c Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    my jvc exad KW-avx800 just the requires the parking brake wire to be grounded. Ground it all the time and it plays DVD's all the time.

5. Dec 30, 2008 at 9:54 AM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    awesome. thanks =D

6. Dec 30, 2008 at 10:34 AM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    What do you think of just looping my green wire to the negative wire? Would that work or will that cause the wiring gremlins to come out of the dashboard..

7. Dec 30, 2008 at 2:17 PM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    Just connect it to the black ground wire, works great. :D

8. Dec 30, 2008 at 7:15 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    grounded the wire to the neg side of the harness. works great - thanks guys!

9. Jan 2, 2009 at 12:31 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I grounded the parking brake cable to the ground of the wiring harness and I've been watching the entire series of Seinfeld from Minnesota to Texas and back!

10. Jan 2, 2009 at 12:06 PM
    gfisher99

gfisher99 Active Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM TRD Sport DC
    Some radios require just grounding the brake wire while others are more complex.

My Pioneer Avic Z3 requires you to remove an unused wire from one of the Pioneer Harnesses, then place it in a specific unused pin on the same harness. After that, you just ground that newly placed wire and the brake sense wire and you are good to go. I just tapped mine to the black negative on the harness and it works fine.

11. Jan 3, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    thought id post a picture of my install. Got my 3rd gen 20 gig ipod hooked up and works great!

SP_A0935_3feaaf49571aee2e88192fa7ebee2ef173a1d0aa.jpg

12. Jan 3, 2009 at 9:15 PM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    Good work! :thumbsup:

13. Jan 4, 2009 at 9:43 AM
    gfisher99

gfisher99 Active Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM TRD Sport DC
    Is it me or does the head unit look crooked in this picture??

Mine doesnt look like that, see attached.

avic.jpg

14. Jan 4, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    it does look crooked in the picture but not in real life. Must be a bad angle! haha

Products Discussed in

To Top