1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

For those of you with the Shrockworks Bumper...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kyzmyss, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Jan 11, 2010 at 10:29 PM
    kyzmyss

kyzmyss [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl. Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Do you notice a difference in the way the truck drives given the extra weight?

I plan to purchase either the All Pro or Shrockworks but don't want to change the drivability of the truck. I know Shrockworks weighs considerably more than the All Pro but do like the heavy duty-ness of it.

Any help that you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Kris

2. Jan 12, 2010 at 6:18 AM
    Boomtacoma01

Boomtacoma01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston
    Drivability? Granted there is added weight its pretty easily delt with. Your main concern with any aftermarket bumper is whether or not your suspension set up can handle it or not. I have some King CO's which will be upgraded to 650 or 700lb springs after I install my winch. Thats just the price to play in my opinion. I love my Shrock due to its strength, as I do my Bud Built Skids and Armortech Rear Bumper. Just make sure that your suspension is able to handle any added weight to your vehicle, front or rear. My truck is definately easier (safer) to drive now that I dont go as fast as I did stock :)

3. Jan 12, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO

I want to get that same bumper for my 09. Did you have to buy there skid plate? I think there site says the factory front skid plate wont work with there bumper.

I bumped my suspension up with plans of getting this bumper and went with 650 springs and Tundra valving on my shocks to handle the extra weight.

Last I checked it was like a 6 month lead time from order to delivery. I sent them an email yesterday to ask how long delivery times are now.

4. Jan 12, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    Boomtacoma01

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston
    The skid was included in the price at the time I purchased my bumper. It is pretty Heavy Duty but kinda PITA to insatall. Good call on the 650 lbs springs. I only have 600's as of right now. I'd give them a call before an email. John is the owner, Mitch is one of the fab guys and Josh is there also. Ask to speak with one of those guys. I got mine in about 6 weeks or so.

5. Jan 12, 2010 at 6:39 AM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    I think the weigh difference is like 40-50 lbs. HBmurphy has one, just don't run stock suspension. It is very beefy and the welds look great.

6. Jan 12, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    Chris you can fit the stock fogs in the bumper correct? I have been trying to get a hold of them but no response...at least on Email.

7. Jan 12, 2010 at 9:30 AM
    Boomtacoma01

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston
    The factory fogs will fit on the Shrock bumper. I have some pics on my build page...The Boomtaco Build. Im sure there is a better to do it. Mine was easy and free since I had the parts on hand and some time to kill.

8. Jan 12, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    How do you like the bumper Chris? I have the Shrockworks sliders on the way anyday now. I like how the bumper looks on the website. I'm considering one eventually to go with my sliders.

9. Jan 12, 2010 at 2:32 PM
    Boomtacoma01

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston
    I love my bumper. Its solid, well designed, excellently fabbed and welded. It functions well for me and beleive me I have tested it. My only gripe is not having a winch at the time of the install of the bumper. Thats neither here nor there. I bought it because it looked like it was the stoutest on the market and so far it hasnt let me down. You will be pleased with yourself if you purchase one in the future.

10. Jan 12, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    m771401

m771401 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm kind of looking around at bumpers for a future purchase. I like the look of the shrockworks but every picture I see of one it isn't aligned very well. Especially following the lines around the lights to fender. Is this an alignment issue or design issue? I'm a little OCD about small things like that.

11. Jan 12, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    Boomtacoma01

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston
    Its all about how well the installer aligns the bumper. After the bumper is aligned, there are 2 alignment holes that need to be drilled through the brackets on the bumper and frame to ensure the alignment stays true. I did a shitty install on mine at the time and havent re leveled it yet. The black truck on the Shrockworks website is mine.

12. Jan 12, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Thanks Chris
    Good to hear. If all goes well I'll be ordering one this summer. How do you like the sliders? I can't wait to get mine

13. Jan 12, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    Boomtacoma01

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston
    They are pretty tough. Mine are the bolt ons that I welded also. The only problem that I have is keeping paint on them :)

Dont forget guys, there is a kickout option for the Shrockworks sliders if that is your preference. You just have to ask them when you order.

14. Jan 13, 2010 at 11:54 PM
    kyzmyss

kyzmyss [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl. Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    By drivability I guess I meant does it take more to stop the truck because of the added weight in the front? And does it take more to accelerate due to the weight?

Obviously the bumper weighs more than stock. Do we know how much more?

Thanks again...

15. May 6, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Yeah - I also have a 60 pound winch - I am shopping for 650s right now, I wonder about the 700's guess I need 775's :D

Just some 2c - The nice thing about the Shrock is that I can hit things like a drunken sailor, or a drunken Marine for that matter! - And not skip a beat!

Also - One other VERY important issue - the Shrock is VERY weak when it come to winch accessibility! Actually it is part of the strength of this bumper but it is a PAIN IN THE ASS to access the winch. So what I did was I cut the bottom of my satoshi and removed the mesh. Now I have a nice big opening that allows me great access - I can remove the whole winch without removing anything other than the winch bolts.

16. May 8, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    Expect 2+ month wait times so factor that in when you order. I "really" wanted s Shrockworks front bumper but an 11-13 week estimated wait time sent me to All Pro.

Also, I've averaged a 1 mpg drop after installing just the All Pro plate bumper and IFS skid plate.

Products Discussed in

To Top