1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

For those who were picking between Tacoma and another Model/Make, why the tacoma?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by TWonder, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Feb 13, 2017 at 4:26 PM
    TWonder

TWonder [OP] Member

Member:
    So sometime in the future I plan on getting a truck. Right now I'm at GMC Canyon and the Tacoma. Right now the Canyon is winning a bit because of how more stylish the interior is but while I am a one and done when it comes to vehicles I can't help but admire the resale value on tacomas.

And while I fully understand that people will always bitch more about the bad than praise the good; I just sit over here thinking "like damn this tacoma comes with problems" I mean what if i end up with a tacoma like that smitty guy?

So those who were picking between two, why the tacoma?

ManBeast likes this.
  2. Feb 13, 2017 at 4:28 PM
    stan23

stan23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    stan
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    I would think if you drove them both back to back, the answer will be pretty clear for you.

arnette64 likes this.
  3. Feb 13, 2017 at 4:32 PM
    CusterFan

CusterFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Silver Sky 2019 Tacoma SR, AC, 4X2, 2.7
    Because Ford did not have a Ranger nor did Dodge have a Dakota in production.

ZJandTacoGuy, Grumpy and def67 like this.
  4. Feb 13, 2017 at 4:33 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Have you looked at a similar website for the GM twins? Seems like they'd have their own Smitty tales. Or more. Just sayin.

Also, since you seem to be into interiors (thus comfort, right?) I'll guess you aren't really looking for serious off road use?

Try on a Ridgeline.

Lots of folks are going to bomb me, I could care less. It's a great choice for those interested in posh, AWD El Camino / Ranchero grade function.

Ginotjr, arnette64, ChemDawg and 4 others like this.
  5. Feb 13, 2017 at 4:37 PM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    There are existing threads with folks talking about Taco vs the GM twins. May be worth doing a search.

Know you'll get a slanted opinion here, of course.

I looked at Canyon and Tacoma. Didn't like the Colorado's styling or interior. Ended up with Tacoma as it was a better fit to my needs/desires. I like the bed setup better, prefer the rear seat fold up/storage setup, preferred the controls/dash layout. No 4WD indicator in the instrument cluster and a knob you easily hit with your knee? Rear locker wasn't directly engageable on the Canyon, only a sort of autolock setup. Carplay is nice enough until you're in and out of the truck a lot and have to keep screwing with a cable. Then it really starts to suck. One of those great on paper, not so great in real world usage things. While Entune has its issues, it's wireless over bluetooth so makes for a much smoother transition. Smartkey is another really nice convenience item nonexistant on the Canyon in September, don't know if that's changed.

Whats right for me doesn't mean its right for you. Figure out whats important, and test drive multiple times. Better yet rent each for a couple days.

mrkabc likes this.
  6. Feb 13, 2017 at 4:37 PM
    ElGatoLoco

ElGatoLoco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB TRD Sport
    Neither car is perfect and you can run into issues regardless. Go with the one that best suits your needs.

kryten likes this.
  7. Feb 13, 2017 at 4:39 PM
    TroutBum

TroutBum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 AC 4x4 Sold, 17 Sport 6MT DCSB, 2020 OR DCSB
    Leer 100R
    Honestly, didn't really give the other mid-size offerings much thought. The '06 was the best truck I've ever owned. It just worked, didn't breakdown / cost anything in repairs. I view the '17 as an evolution of that truck, just has a few more bells and whistles.

Mike

kerrdog and Siblue like this.
  8. Feb 13, 2017 at 4:42 PM
    Paul631

Paul631 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 5-spd Utility Package
    Bilstein 6112/5160 Grabber X3's
    The cheapest 4x4 option, with one of the best reliability & resale ratings out there.

Otis1382, Breaky0self and TroutBum like this.
  9. Feb 13, 2017 at 5:04 PM
    Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell No Pants

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 2.7L/5MT AC Utility 4X4
    Please don't insult those vehicles comparing them to that horse abortion minivan with a truck bed. They both had full frames under them as all trucks should. As internet cannot convey emotion, I'm grinning as I post this but seriously, if I can't throw a chain around the rear spring hangar of my rig and fuck some shit up dragging it out of a ditch then I don't want it--you cannot do that with a unibody like the Tampon Ridgeline.

You and me--eye to eye.

Paul631[QUOTED] and TroutBum like this.
  10. Feb 13, 2017 at 5:07 PM
    daddy_o

daddy_o Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bossier City, La
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport, Inferno, w/tech package
    Factory Blackout package, Soft roll up bed cover, Cheap seat covers, Front and rear dash cam, AVS in channel vent visors
    Currently have a Dodge dakota, was leaning toward a Tacoma, decided to wait for the new Ranger.

4WALKER and CusterFan like this.
  11. Feb 13, 2017 at 5:10 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    manual transmission. i don't consider buying vehicles w/o it.

kinda makes buying vehicles more easy. welp, and more difficult. :rimshot:

12. Feb 13, 2017 at 5:11 PM
    Cb717cls

Cb717cls Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    I sold my Ridgeline to by my 17 DB OF. a couple reasons were because all the bells and whistles, the way toyota holds it value, i got a really good deal, and i was able to find and manual with all the accessories i requested.

Steve Urquell likes this.
  13. Feb 13, 2017 at 5:12 PM
    2GSPointers

2GSPointers Not a well-known member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Bradford, PA
    Vehicle:
    In between
    Always been a Tacoma fan. Especially the first gens. Bought a third gen and have absolutely no regrets.

14. Feb 13, 2017 at 5:15 PM
    Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell No Pants

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 2.7L/5MT AC Utility 4X4
    [​IMG]

jshsltr, Caltech90 and Joe D like this.
  15. Feb 13, 2017 at 5:16 PM
    Midknight

Midknight Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road
    I was looking at the following for a truck:

F150: Too big
    Colorado: Too $$ for what I wanted, and didn't like how it looked compared to the taco
    Nissan Frontier: Too small
    Tacoma: Just right lol. Also liked that there was a huge aftermarket for this truck so finding parts I planned on swapping wasn't going to be an issue.

Otis1382 likes this.
  16. Feb 13, 2017 at 5:19 PM
    Scooby24

Scooby24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    1) Resale
    2) Size
    3) Looks
    4) Capabilities
    5) Price

Fullsize crew cabs won't fit in my garage so that narrowed it down right off the bat. Resale being the most important factor to me, that rules out the GMs. Looks ruled out the Frontier and Ridgeline.

That put it in a class of 1 for me. No other option...so from there it was which model, what features, etc. This generation is not without its flaws, but looking at the big picture...I wouldn't have changed much. About the only thing I'd have done differently was get the manual.

TroutBum likes this.
  17. Feb 13, 2017 at 5:20 PM
    Simpleton

Simpleton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSBOR
    None as of yet
    Resale Value and longevity. If i want to go to something bigger down the road I have a good start for a down payment and if I don't want a full-size truck I have a vehicle that I can keep for 10+ years confidently.

InfernoDiablo, Otis1382 and TroutBum like this.
  18. Feb 13, 2017 at 5:27 PM
    Gnarman

Gnarman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southwest
    Vehicle:
    2016 dbcb trd off road quicksand lb
    ARB Shell, BP51, 255/85/16 ST MAXX, SCS Ray 10 Matte Bronze, Caliraised led 32 inch/side shooter/amber pods, floor mats, start x remote start, auxbeam 8 gang switch panel, diode dynamics hid lows, Australian Shepherd
    Lmfao hahaha Smitty tales lol

19. Feb 13, 2017 at 5:36 PM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    My mother in law has a 2010 Colorado. What a plastic piece of crap. I don't know how they made it seem so cheap and then charge so much. Visually the new ones are much nicer outside. But after selling my wife's Cobalt SS I had to admit that GM is incapable of making plastic feel anything but cheap and flimsy.

Now sitting in my 2017 Tacoma which has lots of plastic like every other vehicle nowadays I don't feel it is cheap. I am not saying it is luxury perfection but compared to GM / Chev I feel it will last much longer. Even the paint on the painted plastic on my wife's SS was as thin as possible. You barely touch it and it scratched. The chrome on her shift knob is non existent from rubbing on her wedding band. So when I looked at two GM products towards the end of their life I look at the issues. My wife's car while reliable has small issues that shouldn't have been so. I look to my Ram trucks and same thing.

So my reasoning for buying a Tacoma was almost more of what it wasn't than what it was. But then I started looking at what the Tacoma did offer. Stainless steel exhaust. I live less than 5 miles from work so exhausts get killed from the condensation so the SS was a HUGE plus. I wanted nav and BIG. I had been using my iPad for nav and didn't want to rig up my Ram mounts in a new truck. I had a nice hands free Bluetooth phone setup with my JVC stereo so I wanted something comparable. My only complaint is my Tacoma won't auto answer my calls like I could set the JVC to. I wanted a spray in bedliner because I HATED my old plastic bedliner. Then I saw Tacomas had the composite bed and add a rubber bed mat and wow what a great idea. Now we are picking up steam and I am really digging the Taco. Bed rails and tie downs right from factory. Corner bed attachment points down low. Small cubbys for bed gear. Now we get to the 120v outlet in the bed. 400w is ok. Much less than the 2000w inverter I ran in my Ram for off-site power on the job but a great addition none the less. I can always hook up my big inverter if really nessecary but for lighting and small power needs it is awesome.

I am really happy with the Tacoma. I might have been just as happy with a GM or Chevrolet but my gut feeling is it would have deteriorated just like all other GM's. Then I would have another piece of crap domestic that I was done with. My hope is I will sit here in 5-10 years and debate if I want another Tacoma because I want a new truck and not because I am fed up with the truck I have.

My only suggestion is to sit back and research everything. Test drive EVERYTHING. Look at stuff you have no intention of buying. That way when you pull the trigger you will KNOW what you want and there be no doubt.

airborndad likes this.
  20. Feb 13, 2017 at 5:40 PM
    specter208

specter208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/ 6MT TRUCK WHITE
    TOYOTA OEM: Cast Aluminum Running Boards Mud Guards Bed Mat All-Weather Floor Liner NIssan Frontier Sliding Bed Extender
    Tacoma looks like a beast and offers 6MT.

lodi781 and shakerhood like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top