1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Ford Ranger mega thread

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by dnlskier, Jul 7, 2017.

?

Are you trading in your Tacoma for one?

1. Hell yeah brother!

8.9%
  2. Hell no

91.1%
  1. Jul 7, 2017 at 12:57 PM
    Spoon93

Spoon93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rogue valley
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB SR5
    Dare I say it but I miss my 05 4L 5 speed Danger Ranger more often than I enjoy my Tacoma. Taco has better power train and potential reliability and much easier to customize but I wish I would have kept the Ranger for solo hunting/fishing trips and then gotten a full size Tundra/F-150 for DD and family camping/hunting trips.

Bought the Taco thinking I was going to get involved more heavily with wheeling but never really did as I just want to Fish/Hunt/Hike. But I will be keeping this Taco for as many miles as it'll go and maybe it can get passed down one day.

cmack likes this.
  2. Jul 7, 2017 at 12:57 PM
    Frankenstuff

Frankenstuff Busy iracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Vehicle:
    16TRDORDCsb 4x4 & 2020 BMW M2 competition
    16 trd ORdcsb4x4 c4 swingout rear, cbi t3 front , arb lift,16"grabber x3 rtt, hilift,jerry cans,and sliders . 81 hilux trail donkey
    I wouldn't be surprised if they go aluminum..cause the best never "rest" lol. Still keeping my tacoma though :thumbsup:

markelhof likes this.
  3. Jul 7, 2017 at 12:57 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    The current Explorer is the right size for a Ranger cab. Granted, it's unibody based off the Taurus and likely wouldn't be the foundation for a new pickup, but that boosted 3.5 fits under the hood and holy heck it motivates the truck. The wife has one and it is an absolute blast to drive.

HutchJ likes this.
  4. Jul 7, 2017 at 12:59 PM
    Wolftaco0503

Wolftaco0503 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White LONG BED TRD SPORT 4x4
    Maglite mod Bottle Opener in bed Weathertech Mats Front & Back

No I'm not I drive the best Mid Sized truck, Still Made in America, a Toyota Tacoma. Mine was made in Mexico but hey.

5. Jul 7, 2017 at 1:02 PM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Completely random but on the topic of the 3.5 Ecoboost engine, I've been amusing myself by teaching my 2 year old about engines.

Me: "How does daddy's truck sound?"
    mjp3: "Vrrooooom!"
    Me: "How does mommy's truck sound?"
    mjp3: "Vrrooooom pssshhhhhhh!"

:p

6. Jul 7, 2017 at 1:05 PM
    cmack

cmack Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Burrito
    hecho en mexico.....

I don't care where your truck/my truck/ @mjp2 's truck was made. you're statements do not amuse the masses on here, and your opinions are worthless based upon the statements you've made. off you go

7. Jul 7, 2017 at 1:07 PM
    Wolftaco0503

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Not gonna do it. Not going to get banned over a stupid ass like yourself @cmack. Have fun being the masses.

8. Jul 7, 2017 at 1:20 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    ...wouldn't it be funny if the guys who actually owned 3rd gens came into the 2nd gen sub forum and stirred the pot like you guys do? Funny indeed...
    Double standards and all that...

9. Jul 7, 2017 at 1:23 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    ...and another one who is not a 3rd gen owner that just tr... oops I mean strolls through the forum. Pretty sure there is a Tundra forum with your name on it.

10. Jul 7, 2017 at 1:28 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    Sorry. Not worth the effort.

11. Jul 7, 2017 at 1:34 PM
    Wolftaco0503

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Ditto

12. Jul 7, 2017 at 1:40 PM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-ford-ranger-raptor-spy-photos-news

A ranger re-introduced into America, and then a Raptor like option at that, has my attention... even a small twin turbo six and/or small diesel would also have my attention... If they don't cheap out and actually take attributes from the Raptor such as great linear Fox shocks, good travel, good upgrades (additional frame bracing etc), it will be pretty neat- add to that the possible engine options- they might actually have a real winner coming.

:popcorn:

Mugsy7 and 20tacoma17 like this.
  13. Jul 7, 2017 at 2:05 PM
    cmack

cmack Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Burrito
    personal attack

ban

I'm claiming it to be a personal attack since I own a ferd.

ChemDawg likes this.
  14. Jul 10, 2017 at 2:25 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Wrenched for 12 years. Toyota is the way to go. I lie and make things up and have no clue or actual reasoning to hate ford/chevy/dodge, but here it goes....

Can't tell ya' how many ford (and chevy) tranny's I pulled when I did a 1.5 year stint in a trans shop. Only ever pulled one Toyota, a tundra. And even then, the Yota trans was out super easy and quick while the fords were/are a complete and utter pain in the ass. Don't have a 12pt, 12mm socket just for Toyota driveshafts.....95% of ford trannys pulled are ford truck and SUV trannys. With a Taurus thrown in there (those like to quit moving as the input shaft splines to the torque converter like to strip out)

Got a chevy truck? Let me know when you replace your front wheel bearings for the 3rd time. And you guys think the Yota 4x4 hubs are stupid to replace, go replace a Colorado hub. And let me know when those front impact sensors take a shit, cause they will. Cry to me when your cheap plastic coolant passages crack and spew coolant everywhere, on a vehicle with less than, hell, 75,000. And it ages like a fine wine with electrical gremlins. And dexjelly, OMG. Or a Chevy Traverse (or car with same trans) that has a broken wave ring in the trans, a VERY common problem, not such a cheap fix. But....Tacoma or Colorado ZR2......

The raptor frame bends. I just saw a pic on here of a NEWER F150 with a ripped off antenna, from going through a car wash! Lest we forget the spitting out spark plug trick cause Ford can't even design enough thread in their cylinder heads. Plugs spit by ford: A lot. Plugs spit by Toyota: ?? And this is the Ford people go ga ga over.

Chevy/Ford interiors vs Toyota Interiors? Another Yota win, hands down. Chevy/Ford, cheap plastic that feels and looks and is cheap.

You don't hate Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge until you have a simple, little, innocent thermostat housing bolt, break off in the block because Chrysler says "Dissimilar metal corrosion what?" Then you get to spend your time drilling and tapping a little tiny bolt out. Yup. Love me some Chrysler, not. Ever seen a Dodge Nitro with a sheared off pinion head cause the inferior axle seals spewed greases everywhere, got low, pinion got so hot it sheared the head off and is sitting in the bottom of the diff when you pull the cover off.

Or when you pull an Escape tranny. You have to remove the transfer case. To do that you have remove the exhaust manifold. Guess how many manifold bolts/studs break off in the head? About 1/2 of em. Drill and Tap. This vehicle is HORRID for this. Never had a bad time like this on a Honda or Yota, but what do I know, right?

I am not sitting here saying Toyota is perfect, don't mistake me. My thing is, if you're gonna spend ANY amount of money on a vehicle, why in the world would one not put their money into the brands with the best reliability/track record/whatever? (Those being Toyota/Honda) (And I still roll my eyes at the big 3 with lots of miles, it's like..."Great...how much crap have you fixed/money have you spent to get to this point")

And this Diesel fanboy fapclub. Everyone loves a diesel. Until it comes time to maintain/repair it. Guess what, YOU DONT GET THE BENEFITS OF A DIESEL ENGINE WITH COMBUSTION ENGINE PRICING. "But why is my oil change $100 instead of $30." DEF? What is DEF? Gotta work on your ford diesel engine? Just gotta remove the cab from the frame.

rant over. I was civil. Said what I had to say.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Mintswitch, Nickel and NAAC3TACO like this.
  15. Jul 10, 2017 at 3:06 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    They are going to have to add "Ford Ranger" to the do not discuss this topic list.

16. Jul 10, 2017 at 3:56 AM
    Lastplace

Lastplace Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeast VA
    Pull the Logo off the grill and it has potential.

IMG_1010.jpg

17. Jul 10, 2017 at 11:09 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    The Tacoma has a horrible reputation as far as frames go. http://www.toyotaframesettlement.com/

Besides the rust, 05 and the first half of 06 had motor mounts that would collapse into the frame because they weren't properly reinforced.

I'm not saying any make is better than the other, just that you can't use that specific argument to support your case.

Discussions of topics are always encouraged. Issues arise when folks start the "what are you an idiot?!?" approach and start attacking the person rather than the topic.

18. Jul 10, 2017 at 2:13 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    I know about the rust stuff. In a goofball round about way, I'd still rather my truck rust in half after 15 years than have the thing flat out not be made of strong enough metal.

I saw something today that reminded of the photo of this "Ranger". The Ford Explorer Sport Trac.

Ranger

Explorer Sport Trac (2010)
    https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/ford/explorer-sport-trac
    [​IMG]

19. Jul 10, 2017 at 2:48 PM
    20tacoma17

20tacoma17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport AT
    Kings, 275/70/17, a few custom items, lots of Meso mods.
    That ranger looks like a ridgeline and Subaru brat mix....I like rangers but that I wouldn't buy.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    I married my tacoma likes this.
  20. Jul 10, 2017 at 7:27 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Those pictures are of the international Ranger, not going to look like that here.

CusterFan likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top