1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Forkin' Seat Belt Chime!?!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bosmob, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Aug 25, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    Erik

Erik That smells like pure gasoline

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Nashua, NH
    Vehicle:
    10'TRD off-road
    Shrockworks bumper+ IFS skid, 4xInnovations rock sliders, Toytec Bilstein/Eibach 5100 @ 2.5", 3" All-pro leaf pack w/Bilstein 5100, PIAA 510SMR, PIAA 1500, Python LC3 2-way Auto-start, Fog lights on w/Parking lights, ATRAC Hack, Diff breather mod
    I wear it normally, but when im in the woods cutting trees and dragging them, hooking them up and unhooking them and when im off roading i am hopping in and out of the truck and driving short distances all day. It gets annoying as hell and the seatbelt is not neccessary at that point.

The dealer will charge $150 to reprogram for me which is rediculous to spend everytime it resets to default when I work on my truck.

2. Aug 25, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    resq330

resq330 El' Capi-Tan

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCSB TRD-Sport
    K&N Drop-In, Dick Cepek 'Torque' Wheels, Wet Okole Seat Covers, LED Interior
  3. Aug 25, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    textoy

textoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD DC
    uh-huh!

4. Aug 25, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    ATriplett513

ATriplett513 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 Dbl Cb, 4x4, 4.0L, 6-speed
    A) I would say just wear your fuckin' seat belt, but that's too hard.

B) Get a seatbelt extender for fat people and just plug it in all the same.

C) Get in a head on collision, do not procreate, do not pass go. Make the world better for all of us.

5. Aug 25, 2011 at 1:08 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    ^^ angry much?

6. Aug 25, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    ATriplett513

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yeah actually. I see threads like this in every single forum I have ever participated in, it's something for your own safety. Seeing people after they've flown through their own windshield, had their face smashed in, ejected from the window, etc... is more than enough to make me click it every time I get in the car.

My niece is 5 and she knows better. Who gives a rat's ass if it's uncomfortable or whatever makes you not want to wear a seatbelt.

7. Aug 25, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    btw, i wear my seatbelt... just saying.

8. Aug 25, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    ATriplett513

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    haha I didn't assume anything. Just explaining myself.

9. Aug 25, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
  10. Aug 25, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    colder

colder Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab TRD Sport
    I don't have access to a code reader right now, but I wonder if this is one of the things you can program with one?

Seems like when I read them on another vehicle there was a 'customize' screen or something... am I dreaming this up?

11. Aug 25, 2011 at 2:11 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    This does work, just be patient and do a long 12 count...

1) Turn the Car 'ON', but do not start the engine (Leave your foot off the brake). Cycle your trip reset knob until it reads ODO. Turn the ignition back off. Wait a couple of seconds.
    2) Make sure seat belt is not fastened
    3) Turn the ignition back on, do not start the car (Leave you foot off the break) As soon as you see everything light up, press and hold the trip reset knob and do a long 12 second count.
    4) Keep your finger on the trip reset knob. Fasten your seat belt, as soon as you fasten your seat belt, you should see the ODO display go from XXXX miles to "b-on". At that time take your finger off the trip reset knob and press it again. It should cycle to "b-off". You should be all set and turn the ignition off and unfasten your seat belt.

12. Aug 25, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    sir, ive tried that numerous times on the 2011 new cluster..... its a negative.

13. Aug 25, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    And seriously whats with the self righteous aholes that say wear your belt... there are situations where you dont need to wear a seatbelt... why else would toyota make it able to turn off, they dont even make the abs able to turn off

like offroading, yes its good if you flop but if you are going through a technical section that requires you to move to see out the window or windshield the seatbelt is a PITA!

EDIT: i also dont need a chime to remind me when its necessary

14. Aug 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    ok i stand corrected, time to unplug the latch :eek:

15. Aug 25, 2011 at 2:22 PM
    JayARRGHH

JayARRGHH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Bellingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    285/75/R16 Eldarado MTZ, Alpine CDE-102 Deck, DIY Snorkel, 2" Spacer Lift, Uniden Bearcat 880 CB, Custom over head console w/ map lights, CB Mount, and external CB speaker, 2 12" Kenwood Subwoofers, 300 Watt Alpine Amp, Alpine 3" lift 500# capacity
    I was going to suggest what everyone else suggested by wearing it, but from that action above alone, I don't want you to contaminate the gene pool. What some guys at work do is buckle it then sit in front of it, or just let it chime. Now factor in a few racks of beers and continue down a closed course(away from other beings) and let fate take over.

16. Aug 25, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    i read in the owner's manual that you have to bring it into your dealer for them to customize that option for you. The default setting is to have it chime. The customized setting is no chime, but will requre the dealer to do it.

There are a few threads here how to disable it. Whether it be the little modification to where you plug your seat belt into OR removing the buzzer from your gauge OR unplugging the wire frmo under the seat OR unplugging the wire in your steering column.

17. Aug 25, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Absolutely. It's a programmable feature for the customer. If there could be a problem i don't think Toyota would give you the ability to do it.

Like i have said in the other threads we do it all the time. No questions.

Call that Toyota customer hot line number and go to another dealer.

Sorry for everyone having a hard time with this stuff. It shouldn't be an issue.

18. Aug 25, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
  19. Aug 25, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    ATriplett513

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Never once has my seat belt restricted me from seeing where I'm going. A very good man in my off road club thought the same thing, and unfortunately he is no longer with us.

It's great if you flop, but how do you know when you will? Most flops happen in "technical sections". I doubt your reaction time is that quick.

20. Aug 25, 2011 at 8:48 PM
    cooktaco

cooktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11 Dbl. cab TRD 4x4
    Weahertecs, Bed met, Snugtop, Avid sliders, TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's @1.75,
    I hate the damn chime and will eventually rid myself of it. Local dealer said they wont do it and I promised my wife I wont tear out the dash right away.

I live in the country and my driveway is 1/4 mile long. For years I have pulled onto the driveway and unbuckled to get the mail then rolled the rest of the way down MY driveway. Hard habit to break and I have to listen to the damn chime almost every night. It is actually not the first chime that bothers me. It is the fact that that the first chime wasn't good enough it has to get more persistent, beeping faster and seemingly louder.

Products Discussed in

To Top