1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HomerTaco's big old bucket o’ bolts build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by HomerTaco, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Dec 19, 2017 at 1:54 PM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    No you are thinking of Centralia. That is completely different from the abandoned PA turnpike tunnels that are now a park and not legal to drive on.

Google Sidleing Hill and Ray's hill tunnels. The one that is closed to the public is Laurel Hill IIRC.

2. Dec 19, 2017 at 1:56 PM
    steele-taco

steele-taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    Jersey shore
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR DCSB white
    I'll check that out thanks.

Blackout14 likes this.
  3. Dec 19, 2017 at 1:59 PM
    steele-taco

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    Jersey shore
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR DCSB white
    Can you even walk to graffiti highway?

scottalot likes this.
  4. Dec 19, 2017 at 2:07 PM
    steele-taco

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    Jersey shore
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR DCSB white
    :(
    I guess we should be getting some new pics on here soon when @HomerTaco starts putting his truck back together.

Any progress on the 3rd gen grills yet?

5. Dec 19, 2017 at 6:09 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco [OP] also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    That picture was taken on the eastbound side of the Pennsylvania Turnpike a couple miles east of the sideling Hill rest area. There is a large shoulder area where the Pennsylvania Turnpike was redirected and I happened to stop in there and the gate was open.
    Most of the section is just used for storage of concrete dividers and there was also some asphalt testing areas. It is separated from the rest of the abandon section by a demolished overpass. I could not access either of the tunnels from where this picture was taken. The 13 mile stretch of abandoned turnpike is accessible if you were to exit off of the Breezewood exit and park there.
    If it wasn’t so far away I would make a day trip out of going out there and doing a bike ride.
    It’s easily a three hour one-way trip just to get there and then a 26 mile round-trip bike ride.

6. Dec 19, 2017 at 6:13 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Also it was abandoned due to the fact it was easier and more cost effective to bypass the tunnels by going over the mountains rather than through them. The two tunnels are both a single bore which only allowed for a single lane in each direction. Essentially creating two choke points before they were bypassed.

The PA northeast extension had the same issue with the Lehigh Tunnel but they added a second bore there.

ChadsPride and Blackout14 like this.
  7. Dec 20, 2017 at 7:02 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    I've been interested in camping locally there and riding through it for a while, ever since I visited a couple years ago. If I throw something together I'll let you know. :thumbsup:

8. Dec 20, 2017 at 7:34 AM
    The Hunter

The Hunter Sailing the high Puddle's

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Monroe NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 Submarine
    Flux capacitor and bi-plane wings
    I like this. I like this alot. I was going to say I can’t believe that they gor the FUBAR bumper on but then read you got it straightened

You say this but then you go outside in the cold and we all cramp up

Blackout14 and ChadsPride like this.
  9. Dec 20, 2017 at 8:26 AM
    The Hunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Monroe NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 Submarine
    LMFAO! I know my hands hurt in the winter months. Yours must hurt like hell

10. Dec 20, 2017 at 11:15 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    So I did the CMC in the dealership parking lot with my angle grinder. Got a lot of weird looks from the employees which was amusing.
    Took less tha 10min.
    Driver:
    Passenger:

Drove home without the front bumper on. I’ve got some mod plans for it so it really didn’t make sense to put it back on immediately. Currently sitting in the bed with a new pair of leaf packs and the stock crossmember.

Shackle flip will need to be reinstalled. They just put the kit in a box in the back seat for me. Used stock hangers on my Dakar pack:

The tech tells me I was missing a breather off of the t-case which is where he thinks the leak is from. Still greasy under there but they put it all back together properly and everything works as it should. (Crawler & 4wd included)

Now to figure out a reconstruction plan... :rolleyes:

P2W, TinyTech626, Kolunatic and 3 others like this.
  11. Dec 20, 2017 at 11:21 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Yup. The GM came out to bitch at me I think but I was already done. :cool:

12. Dec 20, 2017 at 11:22 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
    Frame looks good!

HomerTaco[OP] and scottalot like this.
  13. Dec 20, 2017 at 12:48 PM
    The Hunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Monroe NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 Submarine
    Text inbound about them leaf springs

ChadsPride likes this.
  14. Dec 20, 2017 at 12:51 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Nope, just got a disapproving look. :D
    Vulture. :rolleyes:

15. Dec 20, 2017 at 12:56 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    He wants them for that trailer:rolleyes:

16. Dec 20, 2017 at 3:47 PM
    P2W

P2W Whut?

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Whodatsville
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tacoma DCLB
    Somstuff
    Were you not wearing pants?
    Showing too much plumbers clevage?
    Was he jealous of the 35s?

17. Dec 20, 2017 at 4:05 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Nothing so obscene. ;)

ChadsPride and P2W[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Dec 20, 2017 at 4:05 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    On another note: anyone wanna buy a set of Nitto mud grapplers? :D

19. Dec 20, 2017 at 4:07 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    (5) 35x12.5x17’s
    4 have less than 7K on them and one is brand new.

$1600 firm

20. Dec 20, 2017 at 4:07 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Need something that is moar highway friendly.

To Top