1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fox 2.0 Coilover IFP and rear 2.0 Remote Reservoir review

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Chaz84, May 21, 2016.

1. Apr 4, 2018 at 11:39 AM
    Chaz84

Chaz84 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr. Chase
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 blk Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    FOX 2.0 coil-overs, rear 2.0 RR's CD adj & roost shield, Wheeler's Off Road progressive 1.5" AAl's & Super bumps front & rear, 1' angled block, airlift bags w/ in-cab control & under hood compressor, trailer brake controller, Warn 1st gen M8000, U.S. Off Road hidden winch mount, Body Armor rear bumper, Trail Gear sliders (all Bullet-lined & welded), Sony touch screen dvd, JL Audio Stealthbox, 500/1 amp, Helix tbs, URD intake w/shield, 4 D-rings, in-cab wEnch controls (pics), door sill guards, weather tech mats, black-out headlights, LED cab/backup/bed/ trail/tag lights w/ hidden in-cab switches, PIAA yellow xenon fogs and PIAA extreme white plus headlights, AVS bug & vent visors, red Devil Horns, Undercover tonneau cover, two 30ft straps, tree saver, snatch block, tire plug kit,125psi compressor w/ 1.5 gal tank, 4 5k lb tie-downs, Mag light Pro w/glass breaker seat mounted (drvr&pass), diff breather mod (behind driver tail light), anytime locker mod, Mobil 1 diff oil, Mobil 1 extended performance oil and filter, 840 amp Energizer battery, 285/70/17 XD's, Nittos, 2x2 Cali Raised hyper spot ditch-light pods. CMC
    Question is if your 2.5's have the Allen collar like my 2.0's?

2. Apr 4, 2018 at 12:12 PM
    MolonLabeTaco

MolonLabeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dude
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC 4x4 OR
    Allen collar. That's why I put (newest version). :thumbsup:

3. Apr 4, 2018 at 1:42 PM
    Chaz84

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr. Chase
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 blk Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    FOX 2.0 coil-overs, rear 2.0 RR's CD adj & roost shield, Wheeler's Off Road progressive 1.5" AAl's & Super bumps front & rear, 1' angled block, airlift bags w/ in-cab control & under hood compressor, trailer brake controller, Warn 1st gen M8000, U.S. Off Road hidden winch mount, Body Armor rear bumper, Trail Gear sliders (all Bullet-lined & welded), Sony touch screen dvd, JL Audio Stealthbox, 500/1 amp, Helix tbs, URD intake w/shield, 4 D-rings, in-cab wEnch controls (pics), door sill guards, weather tech mats, black-out headlights, LED cab/backup/bed/ trail/tag lights w/ hidden in-cab switches, PIAA yellow xenon fogs and PIAA extreme white plus headlights, AVS bug & vent visors, red Devil Horns, Undercover tonneau cover, two 30ft straps, tree saver, snatch block, tire plug kit,125psi compressor w/ 1.5 gal tank, 4 5k lb tie-downs, Mag light Pro w/glass breaker seat mounted (drvr&pass), diff breather mod (behind driver tail light), anytime locker mod, Mobil 1 diff oil, Mobil 1 extended performance oil and filter, 840 amp Energizer battery, 285/70/17 XD's, Nittos, 2x2 Cali Raised hyper spot ditch-light pods. CMC
    I got ya, just wasn't sure if the collars were the same on the 2.5's, new version or not. Appreciate the info and clarification broski.

MolonLabeTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Apr 10, 2018 at 1:37 PM
    Ronniebuilt

Ronniebuilt Ronniebuilt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black Tacoma TRD Sport
    Fox2.0 front and rear. Timbren bump stops, Timbren U-bolt flip kit, Low Range 7/8" rear block,275/70 x17 Kuhmo AT51 tires on Charcoal FJ 8 hole wheels, vent-visors , Alum. skid plates, Total chaos bed stiffeners, n-fab led lightbar bumper, 30" LED light, rollup tonneau cover, bed mat, weather tech floor mats, aftermarket trd emblems.
    Chaz
    Great right up man.
    You answered all my quetions.
    I'm sure I'll be doing the same setup now.
    Was torn about what to do on front. Now I know.

Chaz84[OP] likes this.
  5. Apr 10, 2018 at 2:20 PM
    scottsglock29

scottsglock29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD Sport DCSB
    I just received my Fox 2.0 fronts and Fox 2.0 rears with resi's today. Hoping to get everything installed in the next couple of weeks.

6. Apr 11, 2018 at 4:52 AM
    backcountryj

backcountryj Pending Approval

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    :popcorn:
    I'll be interested to hear your feedback, especially when comparing the on-road ride/performance of the Fox 2.0 to the stock OR suspension. I was pretty well settled on getting the same Fox setup, but when I saw the 2nd Gen Pro Bilstein kit on sale I decided to bite. Now that I have the Pro Bilstein kit installed, I kind of wish I had waited or simply left the suspension stock.

scottsglock29[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Apr 11, 2018 at 5:16 AM
    scottsglock29

scottsglock29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD Sport DCSB
    I will let you know how it is once all installed. Hoping in the next couple of weeks, if it ever warms up here.

backcountryj[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Apr 12, 2018 at 5:20 AM
    Chaz84

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr. Chase
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 blk Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Yeah man, the Billy's valving is super stiff. Yes, giant shock body, but wanted the fox ride and rust resistance/cooling of the aluminum. My truck rides like a dream. "What speed bump?" -wifey

Mully likes this.
  9. Apr 12, 2018 at 5:38 AM
    backcountryj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    So true.

I knew they were digressive valved, but hoped they wouldn’t be too firm. Heck I loved the stock 4600 so I thought it was worth a shot. At ~$640 to my door for front and rear OEM/aftermarket shocks I got sucked in.

I’ve read the stock OR springs are progressive (possibly a lower spring rate than others though, honesty don’t know) so that combo may be what made the stock suspension so plush. Assuming that info is legit.

I’ll likely be going to the Fox or King down the road once the truck is paid for and my wife quits popping out kids (crazy lady). Anyone know where ADS falls on the valving spectrum?

If I hadn’t cut the retainer clip on my leaf pack for the AAL I’d pull/sell the Pro kit and go back to stock for the time being. Oh well. Live and learn I suppose. :notsure:

10. Apr 12, 2018 at 11:52 AM
    Stihlgoin

Stihlgoin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Peoples' Republic of Cuomo
    Vehicle:
    2011 Regular Cab 4x4
    Ride Rites w/ Daystar cradles, Fox 2.0 front coilovers, Fox 2.0 rear shocks w/ reservoirs
    After much research, I decided to go with the Fox 2.0 setup on my 2011 regular cab. I nearly sprung for a 3leaf aal, extended brake lines and longer shocks, but decided to play it safe and get the 2.0 resi's in standard length for the rear (non adjustable). I was reading way too many posts about driveline vibrations and ensuing fiddling, shimming and spacers to make me want to lift the rear of my truck any more than my airbags/cradles already do. When I have the fronts installed, I'm going to have the passenger's side dialed down 9 turns and the driver's side 6 turns. This should give my little lightweight rig about an inch in the front and soften the spring preload. I love the short wheelbase of this truck in the woods, just cannot commit to all the downstream mods of a higher lift.

Pandaman59 likes this.
  11. Apr 13, 2018 at 5:00 AM
    Chaz84

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr. Chase
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 blk Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Can't tell ya about ADS, but do know Fox keeps their details pretty secret... Why nothing is so plush while still feeling perfectly stiff when driving like an ahole.

Factory OF coils are progressive (note how the space between the coils changes). They're rated at 590lbs, but feel softer bc of the prog nature. Billy's come w/ 620lb coils if my memory serves me right and Fox with 600lb coils (not enough to feel a difference, bottom line). It's that digressive valving that makes them feel harsh. Kings are pretty expensive, which was another reason for me going with Fox.

Lastly, you might be able to pull your single AAL and go with the 3 leaf progressive AAL's. I'd call Wheeler's and ask them about the retainer you cut. The 3 is far more plush out back.

12. Apr 13, 2018 at 5:08 AM
    Chaz84

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr. Chase
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 blk Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    No need for extended brake lines/shims if under 2" lift in the rear. Also, remember brand new Tacos have a slight driveline vibration straight from the factory.
    The amount of turns you're thinking will prob put you at stock height without driver's lean imo, but it's up to you. As long as there's a 3 turn difference bt driver's and pass side you'll take care of the driver's lean though. Lastly, the springs are not progressive so "preload" does not exist. The only reason they'll feel slightly more stiff with higher lift is the angle of the lower arms, negligible though.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  13. Apr 13, 2018 at 6:14 AM
    Mully

Mully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    CA
    Vehicle:
    12 DC 4x4 Lifted Sport
    Lifted, Kings, Locked, 295s and more.
    I am just going to update this with I now have 31K on mine. No problems, no leaks, no rust, no squeaks, and will rebuild or buy again. I now tow this, my new base camp home.

20180404_133452.jpg

Chaz84[OP] likes this.
  14. Apr 13, 2018 at 6:41 AM
    backcountryj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    I'm running the 2nd Gen TRD Pro suspension, so very similar to the Billy 6112/5160s, but I think the coils are 600lbs (just what I've read so could be incorrect). Regardless, still probably negligle in terms of 'feel.' I agree the digressive valving of the big 2.5+" shock is the root cause of the harsh feel I'm experiencing.

As for the rear, I've actually already got the HS 3 leaf progressive pack in there. I left out the factory OL leaf as I don't tow or haul heavy stuff often, and I wanted to retain as close to stock rear ride and avoid too much lift in the back vs the Pro front coilovers. The rear is more firm than stock, but not much more than expected to be when adding a lift of any kind. To me, the front presents more firmness/harsh feedback than the rear when comparing to stock. But that is purely my opinion/preference/uses, and someone else may feel completely differently.

Moral of the story, if you're research leads you to a particular setup that you feel meets your needs and uses, stay the course and buy said setup. Don't get distracted or swayed by a 'good deal' on something completely different. It will cost more in the end.

Mully likes this.
  15. Apr 13, 2018 at 10:03 AM
    Stihlgoin

Stihlgoin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Peoples' Republic of Cuomo
    Vehicle:
    2011 Regular Cab 4x4
    Ride Rites w/ Daystar cradles, Fox 2.0 front coilovers, Fox 2.0 rear shocks w/ reservoirs
    I almost ended up with the TRD pro setup, but figured it would jack my 4cyl up too high, with no adjustment possible. Maybe I'll go with 6 turns down on the pass. side, and 3 on the driver's. It can always be changed. If I had added the progressive aal, it would have put me at around 2&1/2 inches in the rear, which makes all sorts of driveline issues. Right now, I have none, and I hope to not need the ECGS bushing in the front, nor aftermarket UCA's. If I have to get UCA's, I'll get JBA regulars. Thanks for the three turn difference info. -learned it from your informative thread.

16. Apr 13, 2018 at 10:39 AM
    catastrofe

catastrofe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 F350 Tremor
    And you have no part in this? :D

Chaz84[OP] and Mully like this.
  17. Apr 13, 2018 at 11:03 AM
    backcountryj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    :cool:

18. Apr 14, 2018 at 6:26 AM
    Chaz84

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr. Chase
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 blk Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    I thought you had a single AAL so my mistake. With the above front collar adjustment you should be solid and level. You only need UCA's if you go above 6+ turns on the passenger side up front from when the coilovers come out of the box.

19. Apr 14, 2018 at 6:31 AM
    Chaz84

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr. Chase
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 blk Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    The 3 leaf AAL's vastly improved the feel of the rear on my truck, so gotta blame those Billy's again. The spring rate I quoted (620 on the 6112's) is what I was told by Wheeler's on their spec sheet. Fire the front coilovers, sell them, and snag the Fox 2.0's... You won't be sorry. Agreed on "staying the course."

backcountryj[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Apr 14, 2018 at 7:26 AM
    backcountryj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    That’s a likely outcome. Considering pulling all the Pro parts off and selling them while they still have low mileage. To get the stock suspension back on I think I’d need to add a 1/2” top plate spacer (should net ~1” of lift) to the stock OR front coil setup to closely match the rear ~1.5” lift of my 3 leaf AAL. I’d prefer to save some more money for the 2.0s, and recoop some money from selling the Pro kit, rather than pulling from family budget for frivolous truck stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top