1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fox Life!!! Anything Related to Fox Suspension

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by ThaiChillyTaco, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Apr 24, 2020 at 2:14 PM
    crux

crux Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    OR
    Honeycomb composite sleeper platform.
    Shop told me they would need to take the top off the shock to replace the preload nut. Does it thread off the bottom? or does one need to use spanner?

2. Apr 24, 2020 at 2:15 PM
    AccuTune Offroad

AccuTune Offroad Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    El Cajon, CA
    Nope.

Preload nut will have to come off the top of the shock, which will require the top cap to be removed. The threads on the shock body end , so you will not be able to screw it off the other way. See below

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 2.15.11 PM.jpg

1TACOTONY likes this.
  3. Apr 24, 2020 at 2:25 PM
    theick

theick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Las Vegas
    Ha that's funny. I wasn't even thinking about that. Of course the body isn't threaded all the way down.

4. Apr 24, 2020 at 5:25 PM
    FR1DAYx

FR1DAYx Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma DCLB
    Pulled the trigger on 2.5 RR coil overs with adjusters for the front and 2.0 RR with ajuster shocks in the rear. Big thanks to Tyler @AccuTune Offroad he answered all my questions and got me set for all my needs! Can't wait for them to show up now...

AccuTune Offroad likes this.
  5. Apr 24, 2020 at 5:26 PM
    AccuTune Offroad

Member:
    El Cajon, CA
    Awesome! Thanks for the order :thumbsup:

6. Apr 25, 2020 at 8:19 AM
    Devinm

Devinm Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Ft Benning
    Vehicle:
    '20 OR
    I purchased from bilsteinlifts.com and I have to say, they have awesome customer service. Fox jacked up one of my rear 2.5s during assembly. The resi was going the wrong direction and bilsteinlifts overnighted me a new one.

Sandman TRD[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Apr 25, 2020 at 8:35 AM
    Devinm

Devinm Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Ft Benning
    Vehicle:
    '20 OR
    I just installed the 2.5 DSC all around and the 1.5 icon AAL. I got 2 inches of lift in the rear and 1.75 in the front. Due to the OR already having 1 inch of lift the max you will get is 2 inches in the front. For a total of 3 inches.

8. Apr 25, 2020 at 8:41 AM
    Devinm

Devinm Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Ft Benning
    Vehicle:
    '20 OR
    Does anybody have the DSC dialed in for on and off road driving? Right now I turned both knobs counter clockwise all the way, then the blue knob clockwise 5 "clicks" and the yellow clockwise 7 "clicks. " it was a kinda rough around town.

9. Apr 25, 2020 at 9:39 AM
    1TACOTONY

1TACOTONY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    MICHIGAN
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD Sport 4x4 M/T
    MISC. MODS WEBOOST overland cell booster Blacked out badges Black bedside decal Uptop overland alpha roof rack with inferno armortek and baja designs scenelighting EYECATCHER PRO Tacoma tailgate letter inserts Trd Pro grill with raptor lights(REMOVED) DB CUSTOMS Toyota halo grill with backlighting TRD color match grill badge Color matched Trd Pro shifter Tinted windows Front and Rear MBRP 3" side exit exhaust w tip OCD center console organizer Meso Customs Flip Fob Key Meso Customs blacked out climate control rings Meso Customs blacked out vent rings Meso Customs blacked out 4x4 ring Meso Customs coin organizer M/T Meso Customs blacked out steering wheel emblem overlay Meso Customs blacked out handle covers Meso Customs Overhead hex rack (sunroof model) KTJO4X4 HUD FOR TACOMA Trd pro skid plate Tufskinz glovebox insert ch4x4 custom switches w/ cubby panel Lil B's bed stiffeners with bottle opener Inferno Door sill guard inserts Rear passenger dual USB charge port Rear window switch relocation mod Taco Time plate frame AVS low profile in channel vent shades URD short throw shifter kit Cravenspeed Gauge mount JLT oil catch can N2 Designs remote start with smartphone module Trailer hitch step guard with locking pin Hondo garage unholy mount with ohnap magnetic mounts(driver and passenger side) Diamondback HD smooth bed cover Uptop Overland Diamondback truss rack system Ikamper Skycamp 3.0 mini with insulation liner Wolfbox G900 mirror and dashcam front and rear camera Seat jackers front and rear driver and passenger side Front seat jacker multi panel mounts driver and passenger side ////// (AWAITING ARRIVAL) None at this time (AWAITING INSTALL) Uptop overland rack lights dual function white and amber x8 /////// SUSPENSION COMPONENTS FRONT Fox 2.5 extended travel coilover remote resi with adjuster and added protection for the reservoir Sway bar relocation kit Spc adjustable uca (removed) Icon billet UCA Durobump bumpstops Runnin 4 Tacos lower control arm skids REAR Fox 2.0 extended travel remote resi with adjuster and Fox roost guards Toytec (Deaver)3 leaf progressive aal Durobump 4.25 bumpstops with Ubolt flip kit ///// WHEELS AND TIRES FN FX Pro matte black w import equipment center decal BFG KO2 285/70/17 ///// AUDIO Stinger Heigh10 10in multimedia display w/ tacoma flush mount integration kit and wireless AA adapter OEM Audio Reference 450Q w/ subwoofer Soundskin Pro sound deadening doors,panels,counsol and rear wall ///// LIGHTING Rigid Radiance+ Amber backlighting 30" Hidden Bumper Light Bar Rigid Radiance Scene pods with amber backlighting Morimoto XB Led projector Gen 2 Black headlights with sequential turn signal MESO Customs/ Morimoto led sequential tail lights Morimoto XB Led projector fog lights Meso Customs blacked out ultimate turn signals (REMOVED) Meso Customs blacked out ultimate v5 turn signals with white drl and sequential turn signal (INSTALLED) Meso customs puddle lights w switch TRD pro tail lights Mic tuning 2 bar triple row tailgate bar with brake,reverse and sequential turn VLed upgrade vanity lights Meso Customs ultimate map light Meso Customs dual brightness cab light Led upgrade turn,brake,side markers and plate lights (changed to meso customs headlight and taillights) Import equipment 3rd brake light cover Raptor grill lights (REMOVED WITH PRO GRILL) KTJO4X4 door handle lighting Yota mafia KC hilites v2 rock light 6 light kit with auto on feature UPTOP Overland Underhood lighting with Baja designs pods Baja designs rock lights with scenepods 2.0 for roof rack
    @Devinm how do you mean "jacked up a resi". Just curious? The resi can be rotated slightly to remedy some small complaints people have had like decal not facing out ward or the resi facing towards the front and needed towards the rear. Do you have any pics of the issue to maybe help someone better understand. On the adjustment question its basically all driver opinion on that and there probably isn't a magic adjustment for on and off road,hence why they are adjustable so you can quickly change from highway driving to rough off road with just a few clicks. It would be hard to answer that question so if you feel its to hard/stiff driving add a few more clicks and give it another go until your happy :thumbsup:

10. Apr 25, 2020 at 10:37 AM
    Devinm

Devinm Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Ft Benning
    Vehicle:
    '20 OR
    20200420_152312.jpg

The one on the left should look like the one on the right. The fitting coming out of the main body should be facing 180° the other direction.

11. Apr 25, 2020 at 11:04 AM
    1TACOTONY

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    MICHIGAN
    Vehicle:
    MISC. MODS WEBOOST overland cell booster Blacked out badges Black bedside decal Uptop overland alpha roof rack with inferno armortek and baja designs scenelighting EYECATCHER PRO Tacoma tailgate letter inserts Trd Pro grill with raptor lights(REMOVED) DB CUSTOMS Toyota halo grill with backlighting TRD color match grill badge Color matched Trd Pro shifter Tinted windows Front and Rear MBRP 3" side exit exhaust w tip OCD center console organizer Meso Customs Flip Fob Key Meso Customs blacked out climate control rings Meso Customs blacked out vent rings Meso Customs blacked out 4x4 ring Meso Customs coin organizer M/T Meso Customs blacked out steering wheel emblem overlay Meso Customs blacked out handle covers Meso Customs Overhead hex rack (sunroof model) KTJO4X4 HUD FOR TACOMA Trd pro skid plate Tufskinz glovebox insert ch4x4 custom switches w/ cubby panel Lil B's bed stiffeners with bottle opener Inferno Door sill guard inserts Rear passenger dual USB charge port Rear window switch relocation mod Taco Time plate frame AVS low profile in channel vent shades URD short throw shifter kit Cravenspeed Gauge mount JLT oil catch can N2 Designs remote start with smartphone module Trailer hitch step guard with locking pin Hondo garage unholy mount with ohnap magnetic mounts(driver and passenger side) Diamondback HD smooth bed cover Uptop Overland Diamondback truss rack system Ikamper Skycamp 3.0 mini with insulation liner Wolfbox G900 mirror and dashcam front and rear camera Seat jackers front and rear driver and passenger side Front seat jacker multi panel mounts driver and passenger side ////// (AWAITING ARRIVAL) None at this time (AWAITING INSTALL) Uptop overland rack lights dual function white and amber x8 /////// SUSPENSION COMPONENTS FRONT Fox 2.5 extended travel coilover remote resi with adjuster and added protection for the reservoir Sway bar relocation kit Spc adjustable uca (removed) Icon billet UCA Durobump bumpstops Runnin 4 Tacos lower control arm skids REAR Fox 2.0 extended travel remote resi with adjuster and Fox roost guards Toytec (Deaver)3 leaf progressive aal Durobump 4.25 bumpstops with Ubolt flip kit ///// WHEELS AND TIRES FN FX Pro matte black w import equipment center decal BFG KO2 285/70/17 ///// AUDIO Stinger Heigh10 10in multimedia display w/ tacoma flush mount integration kit and wireless AA adapter OEM Audio Reference 450Q w/ subwoofer Soundskin Pro sound deadening doors,panels,counsol and rear wall ///// LIGHTING Rigid Radiance+ Amber backlighting 30" Hidden Bumper Light Bar Rigid Radiance Scene pods with amber backlighting Morimoto XB Led projector Gen 2 Black headlights with sequential turn signal MESO Customs/ Morimoto led sequential tail lights Morimoto XB Led projector fog lights Meso Customs blacked out ultimate turn signals (REMOVED) Meso Customs blacked out ultimate v5 turn signals with white drl and sequential turn signal (INSTALLED) Meso customs puddle lights w switch TRD pro tail lights Mic tuning 2 bar triple row tailgate bar with brake,reverse and sequential turn VLed upgrade vanity lights Meso Customs ultimate map light Meso Customs dual brightness cab light Led upgrade turn,brake,side markers and plate lights (changed to meso customs headlight and taillights) Import equipment 3rd brake light cover Raptor grill lights (REMOVED WITH PRO GRILL) KTJO4X4 door handle lighting Yota mafia KC hilites v2 rock light 6 light kit with auto on feature UPTOP Overland Underhood lighting with Baja designs pods Baja designs rock lights with scenepods 2.0 for roof rack
    So you had it already torn down when you found it? That would really suck the happiness out of that install. Glad to hear that got you fixed up. These fox shocks are night and day better over factory aren't they? I have played with mine a little just to get it where I want and after a few drives my friends want to upgrade their rides to the fox because they said their trucks feels like bricks in comparison :rofl:.

12. Apr 26, 2020 at 2:28 PM
    Devinm

Devinm Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Ft Benning
    Vehicle:
    '20 OR
    I'm not ganna lie...I definitely started to panic. Haha. So far I'm happy with them but still need to figure out my wheel and tire situation.

Looking back at this thread, I saw you posted pictures of yours. Just curious, what the measurement of threads you have showing or thread count on the left and right front?

Did you use your SPCs to adjust caster and any issues with rubbing? Did you CMC?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  13. Apr 26, 2020 at 3:48 PM
    1TACOTONY

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    MICHIGAN
    Vehicle:
    I can imagine because I would be the same way lol. On the thread count you could probably see where mine is set from my media I have posted on my account but it is about 1 3/4 " on driver side and only slightly less on passenger side to accommodate the all to known taco lean. From top hat to bottom eyelet its about 21" when sitting on the ground. I did use the spc to get the fitment perfect as well as alignement (seeing as they can do camber and caster)and based on the sheet they come with they are spot on with everything they say,like setting caster on the lower arms fully forward and fine tuning using the spc.I did not do a cab mount chop but did use a heat gun to press the factory mudflaps in a bit for better clearance during full articulation. I also decided to trim the air dam because it hit/touched the tire (while turning)slightly when at stock length and with it removed the front bar was visible and I didn't like it. So for trimming it was the air damn about in half and a heat gun for the mud flaps. Otherwise everything is great and no rubbing with my FN wheels on 285-70R17 aka dirty 3s :thumbsup:. These shocks are amazing once fine tuned and I have zero regrets,plus weight reduction based on the wallet :rofl::fistbump:. What is your wheel and tire setup as of now and what issues are you running into if any?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  14. Apr 27, 2020 at 7:49 AM
    AccuTune Offroad

Member:
    El Cajon, CA
    If anyone else encounters this, we made an article to show you which fittings can be adjusted carefully :thumbsup::
    https://accutuneoffroad.com/which-fitting-can-i-adjust/

15. Apr 28, 2020 at 10:56 AM
    commonsense87

commonsense87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Edwards, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB w/ Flatbed
    35’s and a flatbed ‍♂️
    Almost done, just need to get a spring compressor and then that’s all. Let me tell you, not a walk in the park, but totally worth it just to learn about the internals and how they’re put together. A little before and after.

But one question, silver or black springs?

0BA4839E-F561-4717-B1FC-92AD8B5CBEAF.jpg
    CB8D7C65-F871-453E-A1C1-538FEA8D3278.jpg
    6E97EB4E-E436-477D-91A9-8B8F4A27F3A3.jpg

Jowett, 1TACOTONY, TVH475 and 2 others like this.
  16. Apr 28, 2020 at 6:16 PM
    OVR1LND

OVR1LND Whisker biscuit

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    TJM rock sliders, RCI bedrack, Smittybilt RTT, Cali Raised LED bed stiffeners,JDM ASTAR Headlights
    Whats up guys? had a quick question. I just recieved my front 2.5 Fox RR coilovers from @AccuTune Offroad. Still waiting on the rear shocks with RR's. But I was wondering if I could somehow adjust the preload for a 2"- 2.5" lift before I install them on the truck? NOTE: I did have them use the eibach 650lb springs for possible added weight in the future and to possibly prevent sag.
    Id rather not have to take them off and put them back on multiple times to nail my desired ride height. I understand that my goal is to reach 21" total coilover length (tophat to bottom of shock). But Im assuming ill have to adjust them quite a bit based on how I recieved them from @AccuTune Offroad. @1TACOTONY you said about 1 3/4 on both sides? Tells me ill need to adjust this passenger down quite a bit. But may be not because of the 650lb springs??

Also, @1TACOTONY. In reference to another post. Im running BFG KO2s 285/75/r16's currently on stock ride height with minimal trimming like you did. (Air dam,etc) I used TRD Pro 4 runner rims with a -13 mm offset I believe.

15881229394308431431647338298550.jpg

15881236775626531476060701947967.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  17. Apr 28, 2020 at 6:17 PM
    nickrick78

nickrick78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoless for now
    Delete

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    NewMexico yota likes this.
  18. Apr 28, 2020 at 6:44 PM
    Devinm

Devinm Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Ft Benning
    Vehicle:
    '20 OR
    Not sure about your springs but,
    Find yourself a mom and pop mechanic shop that has a spring compressor that won't charge you to use. Don't bother with renting one from Auto Zone. It's pretty sketchy.
    Call those little hole in the wall shops.

I also don't have any issues with adjusting the preload while still on the truck jacked up. On the driver side I'm at 1 3/4" of threads and on the passenger side 1 9/16". Im still sitting 1/8" higher on the passenger side.

Are you installing yourself?

19. Apr 28, 2020 at 6:49 PM
    OVR1LND

OVR1LND Whisker biscuit

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    TJM rock sliders, RCI bedrack, Smittybilt RTT, Cali Raised LED bed stiffeners,JDM ASTAR Headlights
    Yea, I was gonna install myself. The 650lb springs are already installed on coilover setup from accutune. Do you have 600lb springs or 650?
    So you had no problem adjusting the preload while the coilovers are still installed? I read that remote resevoirs get in the way of the spanner wrench.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  20. Apr 28, 2020 at 7:10 PM
    Devinm

Devinm Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Ft Benning
    Vehicle:
    '20 OR
    I have 600lbs.
    I bought a punch set from harbor freight and used the 5/16" punch with an extension pipe I had laying around. On the driver side I ran into an issue with the preload ring not turning after a half turn. I took it off and started calling all the shops in the area and got lucky with a spring compressor. I adjusted it some and installed it back on and had no issues making additional adjustments.

The spanner wrench is worthless. We turned the ring by hand when the spring was compressed.

Make sure the set screw is exposed before installing.

Products Discussed in

To Top