1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fox Life!!! Anything Related to Fox Suspension

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by ThaiChillyTaco, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Mar 22, 2018 at 10:20 AM
    Mavrick

Mavrick Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSBOR
    So the shock bodies and springs are the same between the two? I figured the extended version had longer body and longer spring.

2. Mar 22, 2018 at 11:23 AM
    Sub_Par

Sub_Par Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    Nope they are the same, there is an internal spacer that is shorter allowing more travel on the extended version.

Stagarm likes this.
  3. Mar 22, 2018 at 11:57 AM
    KnckleChldrn

KnckleChldrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB MT
    Suspension OME 886 Coils OME Nitro Charger Sport shocks OME Nitro Charger Sport struts Deaver Expedition leaf pack Mickey Thompson wheels 265/70/17 KO2 Total Chaos upper control arms Performance K&N air intake Exterior Southern Style Offroad slim line bumper Smittybilt x20 winch Interior Kicker tweeters, front and rear speakers Anytime front and rear camera Hondo Garage stereo knobs Hondo Garage un-Holley mount MESO black out door handles MESO steering wheel MGM overlay MESO puddle pods MESO ultimate red map lights MESO ultimate red dome MESO gasshole MESO ultimate turn signals MESO BD5 3rd brake light MESO stage 3 side markers Retrofit Morimoto 2.0 headlights RGB halo RGB demons RGB DRL Cali Raised raptor LED tail lights SpartanXCustoms scoop light Baja Designs Squadron Sports fogs (amber) Baja Designs Squadron Pro ditch (amber) Baja Designs S8 20" Matt Gecko bed lights Matt Gecko hood lights Switchpro 9100 OEM bed mat 300 Industries grill Bakflip Fibermax cover
    Thanks to @Sub_Par im looking into these fox’s. How often to they need to be rebuilt roughly and how expensive is that? Do they have to be sent to fox for this?

steiner9er likes this.
  4. Mar 22, 2018 at 12:13 PM
    Sub_Par

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    http://www.ridefox.com/service.php?m=offroad

Check out the link, it has the service intervals based on usage. Also gives you pricing if you send them to fox directly for rebuilds. Unfortunately I don't know anyone on the east coast that services Fox so the closest would probably be @TMFF whose in Colorado I believe. Shipping the shocks out can get expensive when you add that to the total rebuild cost, and downtime of the truck.

5. Mar 23, 2018 at 7:53 AM
    Mavrick

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSBOR
    Another question. I read somewhere that fox changed the adjusting collar, do the new versions just have one split ring now? If so why did they change it?

6. Mar 23, 2018 at 7:57 AM
    MMoreno16

MMoreno16 Cupcake Forest Ranger

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB

whaaat? so its suggesting if i do 50/50 street/offroad i need to remove my suspension and get them serviced after 1000K? that seems insane....am i reading this incorrectly?

7. Mar 23, 2018 at 8:01 AM
    ThaiChillyTaco

ThaiChillyTaco [OP] David aka Chilly aka Booty Freak

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Goose Creek - South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey TRD Off-road 4x4 Longbed
    Rough Country 3.5 Lift SCS BR6 wheels rolling in 285/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks
    A tons of peeps have Fox's on their Tacoma's and you hardly hear of any negative issues. If you bash your truck chances are you will
    break shit. Hopefully I will never need to send my shocks back for work but if I do I'll just buy another new set and have spares. :drunk:

1truckdriver likes this.
  8. Mar 23, 2018 at 8:04 AM
    MMoreno16

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Yea i was already thinking the same shit. I don't do anything crazy, my truck is mainly for camping use and exploring trails. My set up only has about 600 miles on it. Fucking rides beautiful!

9. Mar 23, 2018 at 8:04 AM
    Sub_Par

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    It just says to inspect them and recharge the nitrogen if necessary. For your use you could go 10k miles before a full rebuild. Most will just wait until they can tell the shocks are gone or oil is leaking from the seals.

MMoreno16[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Mar 23, 2018 at 8:16 AM
    KnckleChldrn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    Suspension OME 886 Coils OME Nitro Charger Sport shocks OME Nitro Charger Sport struts Deaver Expedition leaf pack Mickey Thompson wheels 265/70/17 KO2 Total Chaos upper control arms Performance K&N air intake Exterior Southern Style Offroad slim line bumper Smittybilt x20 winch Interior Kicker tweeters, front and rear speakers Anytime front and rear camera Hondo Garage stereo knobs Hondo Garage un-Holley mount MESO black out door handles MESO steering wheel MGM overlay MESO puddle pods MESO ultimate red map lights MESO ultimate red dome MESO gasshole MESO ultimate turn signals MESO BD5 3rd brake light MESO stage 3 side markers Retrofit Morimoto 2.0 headlights RGB halo RGB demons RGB DRL Cali Raised raptor LED tail lights SpartanXCustoms scoop light Baja Designs Squadron Sports fogs (amber) Baja Designs Squadron Pro ditch (amber) Baja Designs S8 20" Matt Gecko bed lights Matt Gecko hood lights Switchpro 9100 OEM bed mat 300 Industries grill Bakflip Fibermax cover
    10k mikes for a rebuild seems insane too. Can anyone with them say what they’ve gotten for miles before having to rebuild?

CementTRDOffRoad likes this.
  11. Mar 23, 2018 at 8:17 AM
    MMoreno16

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    agreed

12. Mar 23, 2018 at 8:23 AM
    Sub_Par

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    Most Coilovers should be good for 20-30k miles; however, usage plays a big part in that. If your beating on the suspension on a regular basis your intervals are going to be shorter.

13. Mar 23, 2018 at 9:13 AM
    TXTaco13

TXTaco13 Taco/T4R Enthusiast

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    4TH GEN V8 4X4 T4R
    '83 CJ7 '19 MT 07
    Maybe if your beating them up a lot, that seems a little early.

14. Mar 23, 2018 at 9:36 AM
    Mavrick

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSBOR
    So tell me this, why do performance shocks need more frequent rebuilding when compared to regular shocks that should last at least 60k or more? Here are my thoughts as of now.

Based on Fox saying you need to recharge them every 1000k tells me that you loose the benefit of these shocks early on and have to keep rebuilding them to maintain top performance. So the real question is how much performance is lost over time and is it negligible for the average guy.

Oil leaking, I would assume that would be the same as any other shock, its just the seals that fail so why would a performance shock leak sooner on ASSUMING its used in the same on road application as a regular shock would be. So how soon are people seeing these leak, has anyone made it to 50~60k without leaking or is that expected to happen earlier no matter how the truck is driven?

It seems like all of these performance shocks are based on off road but many are buying them for just on road use too and I believe most guys that buy these for off roading rarely go off road. The more I read about these for on road use it just doesn't make sense, its way too much work to rebuild them and for me I do about 30k a year and rebuilding every year would suck ass. The only practical way to rebuild these is to have a back up set and even doing that is a pain, its not like you just pull out your shocks and throw a new set in like you swap wheels.

Until I get more data for life span for primarily on road use I will be holding off and go with a throw away shock, I never go off road but was looking for an awesome on road ride. There just isn't that much data out there and you can't compare life span of these to the guy who do use them for off roading, some off roaders beat the crap out of them and some don't, its the longevity of highway use that isn't really out there.

15. Mar 23, 2018 at 9:39 AM
    SirRoytzz

SirRoytzz Taco Enthusiast

Member:
    Looooove my Fox 2.5s - but rebuilding every 10k does seem...excessive? :confused:

16. Mar 23, 2018 at 9:57 AM
    KnckleChldrn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    Exactly my view too. I want to lift my ride and have a good ride and be able to go off-road from time to time but in no way am I rebuilding/replacing them every year. Guess I’ll keep researching and hoping to hear the data we are looking for.

yellowdogpaddler and SirRoytzz like this.
  17. Mar 23, 2018 at 10:07 AM
    Mavrick

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSBOR
    Ive been looking but haven't found any real info and hope more guys post their rebuilding experiences. Either way, for me, it looks like I would be rebuilding at least once per year which is ridiculous. I use my truck for work and can't have it down and frankly just don't feel like dealing with it. If someone can convince me that you can get at least 50 to 60k out of these before rebuilding or replacing I would buy them and could live with that.

18. Mar 23, 2018 at 10:17 AM
    MCDavis

MCDavis Taco life is over. Full time 4wd for the win.

Member:
    RIC, VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4wd (SOLD) - Currently in a 2016 GX460
    @*TRD*
    Ryan, can you lend some professional wisdom on the frequency of the rebuilds?

*TRD* likes this.
  19. Mar 23, 2018 at 11:54 AM
    *TRD*

*TRD* Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Carson, Ca
    It's really hard to predict service intervals, because there are so many things that influence it.

With the disclaimer out of the way it's pretty common for a Tacoma to go 50k+ miles before rebuild. Some go longer, we have a set in here now with a hard 90k on them.

You can increase the shocks life by keeping them clean. When you wash your truck rinse off the shafts, and bodies.
    Rinsing the shocks removes debris the wiper might have to scrape off as well as removing corrosive elements such as brake dust, salt, and road grime.
    High pressure is ok, just don't blast it directly onto the seals.

There are obvious things which decrease life expectancy when frequently encountered:
    Mud, sand, corrosive environments, high temp use, etc
    While these things do decrease the life expectancy, these shocks are designed to be used, so go have fun.

You should rebuild your shocks if you notice a decrease in performance, hear clunking from the shock, or if they begin leaking.
    Delaying a rebuild long enough can cause internal damage.

20. Mar 23, 2018 at 2:00 PM
    heyphillip

heyphillip Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DARRYL
    Question will any Fox Coil Overs fit on my 4 inch BDS lift ?

Products Discussed in

To Top