1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fox Shox OEM Replacement Issues

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by mountainprimat2, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Aug 31, 2012 at 5:38 AM
    mountainprimat2

mountainprimat2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Proctorsville, VT
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off-Road 6spd man
    Eibach Pro 2.5 CoilOvers(Front), Icon RXT 2.5 (Rears), Toytec Bumps, ICON RXT Multi-Rate Leaf Spring, Icon UCAs, Toytec Carrier Bearing drop, Toytec Front Diff drop, 33inch BFG KO2s on 17'' American Racing Wheels, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, TRD CAI, Grillcraft Grilles(U/L), MOT's Badge Grille Mod (Red), Black Bed Lined Rear Bumper, Bushwacker Pocket Style Fender Flares, OEM Roof Rack, Husky Floor Liners, TRD 6spd Shifter Knob, Cobra CB w/ Firestick II, Interior LED Map(RED)/Dome(WHITE) Lights, LED Licence Plate Lights, LED Amber Fogs, Plasti Dip Badges, Trailer Harness Relocate, Thule Tail Gate Pad + Bed Rack, LEER Bed Cap
    I figure I would throw it out to you guys to see if anyone has some ideas to rectify my situation.

So I have a 3 inch setup with an Allpro leafs and Fox Piggybacks in the rear and Fox 2.5 coilovers in the front with Total Chaos UCAs and LCAs. Because of the fact that the Allpro leafs lift the rear a full 3inches, the front sags quite a bit with the 2.5s at "0" ride height adjustment. When I crank the ride height up an inch and a half in attempts to match rear height, the ride sucks and is super stiff. Going over seams in the road and speed bumps results in a super loud "Clunk" or "Bang." It almost sounds like the shock is soo compressed that on the other side of the bump, the suspension punches down to full extension, thereby "Clunk." I know this is putting some significant stress on the CVs and struts in general.

I have order the front diff drop and the swaybar relocation from Toyotec and plan on cranking the coilover back to an inch of ride height as my angles are super steep right now and know that can't be good.

Are there any other ideas to achieve the desired ride height without sacrificing the ride quality and durability of these parts that arent cheap parts. I'm calling Fox today to pick their brains but perhaps YOU GUYS HAVE THOUGHTS?

Thanks guys......

2. Aug 31, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Coilovers are meant for 2.5" and even then the ride sucks. People get heavier coils but I think that is meant more for heavy bumpers. If it was me I would have stuck to 1.5 or even 2.25" rear lift.

3. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:01 AM
    mountainprimat2

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Proctorsville, VT
    Vehicle:
    Eibach Pro 2.5 CoilOvers(Front), Icon RXT 2.5 (Rears), Toytec Bumps, ICON RXT Multi-Rate Leaf Spring, Icon UCAs, Toytec Carrier Bearing drop, Toytec Front Diff drop, 33inch BFG KO2s on 17'' American Racing Wheels, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, TRD CAI, Grillcraft Grilles(U/L), MOT's Badge Grille Mod (Red), Black Bed Lined Rear Bumper, Bushwacker Pocket Style Fender Flares, OEM Roof Rack, Husky Floor Liners, TRD 6spd Shifter Knob, Cobra CB w/ Firestick II, Interior LED Map(RED)/Dome(WHITE) Lights, LED Licence Plate Lights, LED Amber Fogs, Plasti Dip Badges, Trailer Harness Relocate, Thule Tail Gate Pad + Bed Rack, LEER Bed Cap
    I hear that, do you have your 2.5s cranked up at all. The rig looks pretty level from your pictures. I know it might not have the same rake as the 2nd gen stock setup but looks pretty level to me.......got to find a way to get it level or close to level and ease the geometry of the CVs, UCAs, and LCAs

4. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:03 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Send the diff drop back, its worse for the truck than leaving the truck alone.

5. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:07 AM
    mountainprimat2

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Proctorsville, VT
    Vehicle:
    Ok, I'm all ears.....the reasoning behind that?

6. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:11 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
  7. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:12 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    It doesn't drop the diff apparently it rotates it. Do a quick search on diff drop and you should be able to come across a few threads about it. I'm mobile right now sp it would take a while.

8. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:17 AM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    unclear if you have the swaybar relocate block or it's on order, if it's not installed that may be your clunk.

9. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:21 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    Just take the sway bar off, off-road your ride quality will be night.and day difference

10. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:24 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Worst case is trade your expo or take some leaf out.

11. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:25 AM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    Or this ;) forget the sway relocate and the diff drop. The set up sounds good, no reason you shouldn't be able to match the front ride height with the back AP 3" leafs.

12. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:27 AM
    mountainprimat2

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Proctorsville, VT
    Vehicle:
    Yeah thats what I want mine to look like, not cranked all the way down. That way I'll actually get the travel I need.

Havent installed it yet, it is on order with the front diff drop, which is going right back after really reading the aforementioned thread

The problem is that I'm on the road 90% of the time. I might take it off for s#*ts an giggles to check out the ride quality. I know my buddies XJ is way more plush and heavenly without the sway bar

13. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:30 AM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    Clunk is probably the sway bar hitting the coil overs, take it off. The on road ride is kinda nice actually :)

Edit: Look in there for paint missing on the coil overs...

14. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:30 AM
    mountainprimat2

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Proctorsville, VT
    Vehicle:
    I know I should know this but "expo"? Yeah a leaf might be nice to take out.

15. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:35 AM
    mountainprimat2

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Proctorsville, VT
    Vehicle:
    Now you got me thinking.....it had crossed my mind, but what are the downsides of taking the sway bar off besides being able to flip the truck more easily....lol

16. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Just read that other thread on post number 6 that's sucks.

17. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    I thought you have the All Pro Expo 3" leaf if not the it isn't a problem with the a standard All Pro 3" you should be able to remove a leaf or two granted if your sway bar trick doesn't work. Even then if you raise it full 3" the rear will still be higher.

18. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    mountainprimat2

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Proctorsville, VT
    Vehicle:
    It is the standard pack as I heard the expo pack is 3 1/2'' which is crazy. Should still be able to take a leaf out I would think. I'm just concerned about over extending the CV joints, I know it is inevitable but with the swaybar off its almost guaranteed, No?

19. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    mountainprimat2

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Proctorsville, VT
    Vehicle:
    yeah doesnt sound good at all

20. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Yep your CV will limit you. We are stuck with mid travel, drop bracket and SAS. Like stated worst case is trade your AP for something with less lift or take some leaf out if you want to go that route.

Products Discussed in

To Top