1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fram Oil Filters

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TACOMA TRD, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Jun 3, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    Austin82

Austin82 Active Member

Member:
    Not to thread jack but I've only ever ran conventional oil and have heard its bad to switch to fully sythetic after running only conventional. Is this true?

I've also ran frams on all my vehichles thus far and have never had an issue.

2. Jun 3, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4

I bought a Jeep GC with 120k miles, switched it to Mobile 1 fully synthetic at my first oil change. I never had an issue after the change.

3. Jun 3, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    i run the silver fram oil filters,think they are called the tough gaurds...never had an issue.

4. Jun 3, 2010 at 2:32 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Synthetic and conventional oil mix fine, in fact, they sell it as synthetic blend. However, I have heard that if you put synthetic in an engine that has run conventional for a long time, the synthetic may clean up some of the sludge in the older engine and you may get some oil leaks. This may just be an urban myth, but I would look into it before I made the switch. JMO.

5. Jun 3, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    Fram Extended Guard filters are in the top 5 of all around top filters. Find the part #'s or just Google Fram X2 or X3. I put one on at my last oil change instead of my Amsoil filter, I probably wont go back.

6. Jun 3, 2010 at 2:53 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4

7. Jun 3, 2010 at 2:57 PM
    wlmuncy

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:

8. Jun 3, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    It's urban myth...about the leaks. It might clean sludge in old, poorly maintained engines, though, that could clog a filter pretty quick. It's usually a good idea to change the first fill really quick and only go to extended OCI's after second or even third fill.

A good synthetic has also been known to clean off varnish...Isuzu had a TSB where they changed to use of 0W30 Mobil1 to clean varnish clogged lifters in their 3.2 V6's. It worked for me.

To get back on-topic: I have used Fram filters off and on for over 30 years with no problems. In fact, the only filter failures I've ever seen were a Purolator and German filter...Mann I think. One a split seams at the base, one was collapsed. I think Fram, being about the biggest single name in the market, gets more attention...more filters sold...more to fail. S**T happens.

9. Jun 3, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Everything you said makes sense to me. Good post.

10. Jun 3, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    wlmuncy

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
  11. Jun 3, 2010 at 3:04 PM
    toycar18

toycar18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 Reg Cab 2.7L
    OME Suspension, BFG 33x10.50 AT, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Rear ARB Air Locker, LCE Header, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, K&N Intake
    Royal Purple makes a fully synthetic filter that traps more contaminants than traditional filters.

It is probably the best filter on the market.

Watch the Horsepower TV video on http://royalpurple.com/

12. Jun 3, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Looks like a good filter. Anybody know how much they cost?

13. Jun 3, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
  14. Jun 3, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
  15. Jun 3, 2010 at 3:42 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Not a myth..... anytime you use synthetics in an older engine, it can cleanse the buildup and can seep past areas where conventional oils don't penetrate.

Anytime you switch in an older engine, you need to keep an eye on things just in case you develope any weird occurances. It all depends - each vehicle and situaton is different.

I've had a 96 tacoma that I switched to synthetics when I bought it at 60K miles. It developed a minor 'sweat' at the oil pan gasket. It also consumed 1/2 quart of oil every 4K miles. It wasn't a big deal to me and the truck ran great regardless.

On my 94 Jeep Wrangler, I switched at 85k miles and developed a lifter tap at startup.

16. Jun 3, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Yup, Straight off the Valvoline website regarding their Synpower synthetic oil. Read statement 11. A synthetic oil will make an existing leak worse.
    http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil/

Back on topic. I prefer PureOne filters. Better construction and you can get them from Amazon for the same price as the Fram Orange Can of Death. The PureOne's compare favorably to the Fram Exnteded Guards, Mobil 1 and K&N filter. Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com.

Also there was a member here about a year ago who damaged the front cylinder of the 4.0L because there was a blockage in his.....you guessed it, his Fram Orange Can of Death filter. The cheapo anti drain back valve failed and caused heat sheer to the cylinder. I'll see if I can find the post.

17. Jun 3, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    With the oil filter on the 4.0 being upside down, you better have a good anti-drain back valve.

18. Jun 3, 2010 at 4:11 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Yup and the cheapo orange fram is notorious for having deformed bad sealing end caps and piss poor anti drain back valve. I will never put a Fram Orange can on any of my cars. I prefer Sper Tech's if I am going to go that route, or a Purolator classic.

19. Jun 3, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    This. The OEM Toyota filters test excellently and are inexpensive.

They are made by Denso, no rebranding.

I have wanted to try the Royal Purple filters ever since they came out but can't find a place to purchase them local to me. I love their oil, would love to run their filter as well. The construction is obviously top notch.

20. Jun 3, 2010 at 4:42 PM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Quart of oil every 8K miles? LOL...that's a PLUS with synthetic! You get to add make-up oil and boost the TBN...get's you even more miles before an oil change!

Also, the myth isn't about minor seepage...it's about genuine leaks that leave puddles on the ground.

Products Discussed in

To Top