1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Buy Back And Dealership

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by hkvan, May 14, 2012.

1. May 14, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    hkvan

hkvan [OP] Member

Member:
    Here is my problem, I recently took my 1998 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 Extra Cab to the dealership to see if it qualified for the frame buy back or atleast to make sure it was safe to drive. They put it on a lift and beat it with a center punch for a good 15 minutes. They were able to create new holes while testing it. Service manager comes out and tells me it qualified for the buy back and a 3rd party rep will be calling shortly. Monday comes and I get a phone call from the 3rd party stating the truck has a salvage title and it does not qualify for the buy back. This was the first I had heard it had a salvage title. I looked at the title and it is clean. The bank that financed it would surely had noticed it if it had a salvage title. So long story short, I now have a tacoma that has 3 holes in the frame caused by the dealership "testing" to see if it qualified. This seems alittle strange that the did not check vin before taking a punch and hammer to the frame. What are your guys suggestions?

2. May 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM
    TawcoTime

TawcoTime Taco Verde

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '01 XtraCab TRD, Manual 3.4
    Your main issue is the salvage title. What's the background? Did the 3rd party tell you if the salvage title was from the same state where your current title was issued? Sounds like that is your only avenue of recourse, if you wish to pursue it. I'd be curious to know how the title got washed, but at what cost ($$).

Toyota will never change their position once it is has been established as salvage title.

The local dealer will not check, nor do they have the capability to determine the status of the title or VIN. Not their job. You brought it to them to check for rust.

As for holes in your frame... if the rust has perforated the frame, then the hammer test reveals that. That is why they do the test.
    No rust perforation = no holes. Even with a hammer & punch (unless it was a sledge hammer and the guy swinging the hammer was the Incredible Hulk).

If all the information is accurate as stated, sounds like you may be holding the short, greasy end of the stick.

3. May 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Do some research on the salvaged title issue. your state DMV is a good place to start. From where did you purchase the truck? If it was a dealership, get hold of them and find out some history on the truck, if private party, do the same. There may be some fraudulent activity there.

4. May 14, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    hkvan

hkvan [OP] Member

Member:
    Just got off the phone with the dealership and they do have a system that is supposed to find out if the vin number ran has a salvage title before they proceed with the test. This specific dealerships National Toyota Vehicle Check showed a clean title where as the Carfax reports a salvage title. My arms are up in the air for now.

5. May 14, 2012 at 12:47 PM
    1FSTLS1

1FSTLS1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Weld the holes up how bad are they?

6. May 14, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    jsmarine

jsmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma SR5 Crew Cab 4x4
    ARB front & rear lockers ARB bull bar Warn XP9000 winch IPF lights
    If you have a clean title in your possesion, I would show them that. Carfax is not always acurate, nor should it be used in determining whether or not the title is clean on a vehicle. If you have a clean title in your possesion, then I dont see why they would second guess that.

Bring the title with you and show them

7. May 14, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    hkvan

hkvan [OP] Member

Member:

I have already supplied the dealership the clean title in which they made copies and sent it to whomever they submit the claim to. If its Toyota or ISG (third party company).

8. May 14, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    hkvan

hkvan [OP] Member

Member:
    Looks like 1/2" punch. I will end up doing that just for peace of mind if nothing comes out of this mess.

9. May 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    hkvan

hkvan [OP] Member

Member:
    Looks like I am out of luck! Talked to Toyota today and since they were not aware of the salvage title before they put it on the lift and punched holes in the frame, they are not responsible for the damage. So much for the customer service. This time they actually caused more damage and then sent me packing. Thanks Yota off to Ford.

10. May 16, 2012 at 10:22 AM
    knucklehead

knucklehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    You are a frustrating read, OP.
    The toyota dealership didn't damage your truck. It was already rusted through, they just HELPED YOU by finding this out (by making it visible). At this point, the frame is compromised and the vehicle is a danger to drive. They may have saved your life in that now you can choose not to drive it and learn about the compromised frame the hard way (crash caused by failure).

You also asked toyota the WRONG QUESTION!!! If you have established that the title is clean, the warranty again applies and they owe you a frame or a buyback according to their policy. You go to them and say the dealer damaged the frame, they're going to tell you to deal with the dealer. You SHOULD go to them to argue the TITLE!!!

11. May 16, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    jsmarine

jsmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma SR5 Crew Cab 4x4
    ARB front & rear lockers ARB bull bar Warn XP9000 winch IPF lights
    Im confused, either you have clean title or you dont...

Why is Toyota saying you dont have clean title, when you say you do? Do you actaully have clean title in your possesion? Or does your bank have the title? Either way, if its clean then show them the title, or have your bank send a copy to Toyota. Toyota should have no problem giving you a new frame once they see the title is clean.

I would be fighting this OP if I were you.

12. May 16, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    hkvan

hkvan [OP] Member

Member:
    I have a clean and clear title in my safe. Carffax says it was salvaged in PA, March 2001. The truck was then sold to a salvage auction and bought by the third owner in Missouri. The MO dmv must have never got the memo it was salvaged. My guess is the reasoning behind all this madness was to wash the title.

In regards to the statement that they did me a favor by punching holes in my frame with a punch and a slegehammer, not really sure how you think that is a favor. I know the frame was rusted but there were not holes. I never had plans to beat it. They did make my frame worse than it was when i pulled up but thanks for your input.

13. May 18, 2012 at 5:51 AM
    knucklehead

knucklehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    Listen very carefully OP:
    The frame is supposed to be made out of STEEL, not out of RUST. RUST is not a structural material. The frame was already rusted ALL THE WAY THROUGH, but this fact was HIDDEN BY ALL THE RUST.

The holes were already there, they just removed the NON-STRUCTURAL RUST in order to PROVE IT. The frame only LOOKS worse, it is in fact NOT worse.

It was already dangerous to drive before you brought it to them. In order to drive safely, the frame MUST BE REPLACED.

And again, who cares about carfags? IF YOU HAVE A CLEAN TITLE, THAT IS EVIDENCE THAT THE TITLE IS CLEAN -- bring that to toyota and demand a new frame!

Products Discussed in

To Top