1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Buyback question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by HiTec, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Aug 25, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    HiTec

HiTec [OP] Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5 Ext 4x4
    I have owned my truck 6 years. I just took my 98 extracab ,4x4 , SR5, 4cyl, 5 spd, cc, tw, radio with single cd, aftermarket alum wheels. with 158000 miles on it into Toyota. They said it would be a buyback and put me in a loaner truck. They said I would be getting a call from the guy that does final approval and he will start negotiations. Negotiations ? How do they negotiate? I thought it was a flat 1.5 kbb offer. I have heard this is retail in excellent conditions regardless the miles. So do they input your miles into kbb or do they put in something like 500 miles? If I put in my miles kbb says about $6000 if I put in 500 miles then it comes back with something like $8800. Although this seems like a good deal I am going to be in a bad spot :( since we were planning on replacing the other vehicle soon and getting another 150k out of my truck. Now I will not be able to find a 2005 4wd extracab Tacoma for the amount they give me without going into debt thus not being able to replace the other vehicle. I say 2005 so I get out of the frame rusting years.
    Thanks

2. Aug 25, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    isu2014

isu2014 RAT Products

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    01 SUPERCHARGED TRD OR MANUAL 4x4 V6
    View the build. Too much to list.
    Yes, the mileage is factored. But it's a set price, they won't negotiate with you I don't think. They called me and told me the number and that was it. I was happy because it was 2x what I paid.

3. Aug 26, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Bay Area NorCal
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    I say go for a 01 to 04 with no rust you will be much happyer almost everyone that down grades to a 2nd gen wishes they had there 1st gen back.

4. Aug 26, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Ha ha not as much as one would think.
    1. I like the idea that my front IFS diff is 30 not 27.
    2 4.0L V6 on 2gen is light years ahead of V6 on 1gen and its pretty much everything you like on 2.7 but in V6 form factor.
    3 Frame although it is rusting too still being open channel is easier to paint, weld etc.
    4 Wider stance does make tuck little more stable
    5 it seems much more clearance under the truck
    6 FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser parts fit :D
    7 I get great mileage on my V6 Auto only 4 MPG less then what I was getting on my 2.7 1gen with manual.

The bad's
    1. Dreaded knobb for 4x4. Although as much as I complain about it has been working flawlessly so far. But I would rather have 1 gen lever action.
    2. Bigger truck. Its definitely bigger in my case I went from reg cab 1 gen to DBL cab LB on 2 gen (twice the amount of truck) But I Reg cab probably would not feel the same.
    3. Extra additions like annoying TPMS, Thortle by wire (that sucks)

all for all can not complain.

To Top