1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame coverage for 2011+

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by stefanlg55, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Feb 1, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    stefanlg55

stefanlg55 [OP] Toyota Master Technician

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD OffRoad
    We have been informed that there is coverage for 2011 - 2017 frames. Be advised the frame replacement and/or frame coating is not a recall or a warranty enhancement. This is a limited Service Campaign, meaning if your frame has not been serviced within the time frame and is out of warranty it will NOT be covered after the time frame has closed.

Frame corrosion Perforation (ZKA)

The Customer support program for frame replacements will be identified as ZKA. And pertains to replacement of the vehicles frame due to perforation in the frame itself due to corrosion.

Models affected are:
    2011-2017 Tacoma
    Late June 2010 – Early June 2017
    1,102,200 approximate vehicles affected

Frame Coverage:
    12 years from the Date of First Use (DOFU) with no mileage limitation.
    Frame inspection & replacement is eligible in any U.S. states.

Once campaign K0D expires, if a cold climate state vehicle has not had K0D performed, the vehicle will no longer be eligible for ZKA and will be marked as expired under ZKA. ( Once the 12 years from Date of First Use is up the frame will not be replaced. )

Inspection:
    • An inspection will need to be performed before replacement. Contact your dealer's service department to make an appointment to have this inspection done. I do not know if you will be receiving any letters in the mail for this support program.
    Hole location.jpg

Inspect for Frame Rail Seal, If installed there will be no further action. If no Frame Rail Seal is found than perform inspection for a 10mm or larger hole. If a hole is found it will be submitted to Toyota of approval. After approval, parts will be ordered and the frame will be replaced.

Corrosion Resistant Compound - (KOD)

This corrosion-resistant compound will be a limited service campaign identified as (K0D) for certain 2011-2017 Tacoma models. This pertains to frames that have passed the (ZKA) inspection and do not show any signs of perforation.

Models affected are:
    2011-2017 Tacoma
    Late June 2010 – Early June 2017
    302,470 approximate vehicles affected

Spray Coverage:
    K0D will be available fall 2019 for a period of 2 years and only to vehicle registered or regularly operated in these cold weather states.
    Cold states: District of Columbia (DC), CT, DE, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA, VT, WI, and WV.
    Warm weather states will not have the CRC coating applied.

Once campaign K0D expires, if a cold climate state vehicle has not had K0D performed, the vehicle will no longer be eligible for ZKA and will be marked as expired under ZKA. ( Once the 12 years from Date of First Use is up the frame will not be replaced. )

Region Availability:
    Untitled5.jpg

CRC frame application:
    crc location.jpg

The frame will have a CRC coating performed inside the front half of the frame, this includes the inside of the front boxes section and certain areas of the open mid section ( C channel ). There will be no coating at the rear frame sections. The inside frame rails will be dried with a frame dryer for 3 hours to ensure any water inside the frame is removed before the cleaning process can be performed. After the cleaning process is performed the technician will use an endoscope to inspect the inside of the frame before the CRC application can proceed. A heated wax based CRC is used to coat the inside of the boxed frame and locations of the mid open section. There will be no exterior coating in this campaign like used in the 2010 and previous years.

The front wheels, suspension braces and front bumper will be removed for the cleaning and application process.

This will be very similar to the previous year frame replacements. If there is no hole found the vehicle will be coated as previously stated in this post. If a hole 10mm or larger is found it will be submitted for a frame replacement. If approved the process will move further and the frame replacement process will begin. Be advised with this program being released there may be a waiting list depending on your dealers schedule and depending on how many vehicles show the need for replacement.

If your vehicle is affected and replacement is approved this may be the time to have some work done to your trucks, Shocks, body mounts .ect Alot of dealers may be doing this work free of charge if it needs to come apart anyway or at a discounted rate depending on what component it is.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Roadsider, Kuntrykid, SR-71A and 24 others like this.
  2. Feb 1, 2019 at 5:35 PM
    Extra Hard Taco

Extra Hard Taco Survivor of the winter of misery and death.

Member:
    First Name:
    R.J.
    Clown World
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    ARB Bumper, SOS sliders, rear bumper, and skid plate. OME Lift. Some other stuff.
    I thought Toyota corrected the frame issue on all Tacomas produced after 2010? I haven't heard of anyone having frame issues with the 2011+ Tacomas.

GQ7227 likes this.
  3. Feb 1, 2019 at 5:40 PM
    stefanlg55

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD OffRoad
    That is what we thought as well. However we have been seeing some come in that need frame replacements. There is also talk about 4 runners being covered too. So that begs to question if the original issues was with the supplier or a structural design flaw seeing as how the 4 runners are build and manufactured in japan so they don't use American frames.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  4. Feb 1, 2019 at 6:10 PM
    Extra Hard Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    R.J.
    Clown World
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    ARB Bumper, SOS sliders, rear bumper, and skid plate. OME Lift. Some other stuff.
    What part of the country are you in?

5. Feb 1, 2019 at 6:28 PM
    electricmarauder

electricmarauder Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 | Tacoma | RC | White | 4×4 | 5-speed
    So frames not being replaced will get coated? Like when taken in for service or something?

6. Feb 1, 2019 at 7:13 PM
    stefanlg55

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD OffRoad
    New England. Im sure there will be the same procedure as the 05-10 frames. First an inspection to determine if there is a hole or if the frame will be sprayed. If it passes then an appointment will need to be made to leave the truck, most likely a day to be coated.

GQ7227 likes this.
  7. Feb 1, 2019 at 7:17 PM
    Extra Hard Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    R.J.
    Clown World
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    Sounds like loads of fun.

8. Feb 1, 2019 at 8:53 PM
    TOMB

TOMB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Newington Ct. 06111
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access cab Sport -super white
    Changed all drain plugs to Dimple Magnetic plugs UNI filter on air pump
    Yea
    TOMB

9. Feb 2, 2019 at 6:48 AM
    Snowy

Snowy Is neither here nor there

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Winnebago, IL
    Vehicle:
    3 linked 98 Xtra cab
    Stock-ish
  10. Feb 15, 2019 at 9:52 AM
    96carboard

96carboard Well-Known Member

Member:
    The word you are looking for is "improved".
    If their intention was to "correct", they would hot dip galvanize them all prior to application of other coatings.

11. Feb 15, 2019 at 2:40 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    And I assume you have exacting knowledge of just how much that would cost? (Hint: It's effective, but not cheap by any means.) And to the best of my knowledge, exactly no other manufacturer has had to resort to such and expensive finishing process to prevent rust. Oh, and if they did hot dip galvanize them, there would be no need for additional coatings.

12. Feb 15, 2019 at 4:33 PM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Nope.
    Frame issue is still an issue for ALL Tacomas.
    They are all designed the exact same way.

I knew my 2013 was going to rust out in 2015 when I bought it.

TacoBuffet and BillsSR5 like this.
  13. Feb 15, 2019 at 5:26 PM
    Monkeybutt2000

Monkeybutt2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wow you can see into the future o_O

14. Feb 16, 2019 at 3:27 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    No I can get under the truck and see the inevitable growing on the frame already.

15. Feb 16, 2019 at 3:32 AM
    Capt Jrod

Capt Jrod Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Northern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    15 WHITE DCSB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    I know that "hot dipped galvanized" is expensive. It would be nice to have an option up here in the north where for an extra $1500 my shit doesn't rot in half every 5 years. This is why there are packages and options. Arizona doesn't need it and norther Ohio would love it.

16. Feb 16, 2019 at 6:25 AM
    Ddaughen15

Ddaughen15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    New York
    Vehicle:
    15’ Tacoma SR5
    Where does frame rust typically start? I have a 2015 and would love to take advantage of a replacement frame if that’s what ends up happening

17. Feb 16, 2019 at 6:58 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    I hear you. And I live where stuff rots out in only a few years too. But I think you'd find the take rate for that option wouldn't make it viable. Heck, they got rid of the regular cab because the take rate was so low for that!

GQ7227 likes this.
  18. Feb 16, 2019 at 11:21 AM
    96carboard

96carboard Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hint: It costs about $100 to get something the size and shape of a truck frame galvanized. And that's as a regular person like you or me going to a shop to get a job done. It would cost a lot less for a bulk customer like Metalsa (the actual manufacturer of Toyota truck frames, who probably has the facilities to do it themselves anyway). Any time I build something significant out of steel, I get it galvanized. Its dirt cheap and extremely effective.

19. Feb 16, 2019 at 11:27 AM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    thanx for the infos, please keep us posted. I can see some possible trouble spots on my truck

Wixo likes this.
  20. Feb 16, 2019 at 12:56 PM
    2013djb67

2013djb67 They can coexist.

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2013 Charcoal Tacoma TRD
    Six inch lift brush bar roof rack leds all around rims and tires
    I have a 13 Tacoma in the State of Maine where we love to use lots of rock salt on everything, I have been treating my frame with fluid film and it looks like new condition ,good frame bath with baking soda to neutralize the salt and coat twice a year for about 75$.

Products Discussed in

To Top