1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Prep for Bolt-On Sliders

Discussion in 'Armor' started by pinem56, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Dec 24, 2018 at 2:44 PM
    pinem56

pinem56 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRDOR DCSB AT
    There is already a bunch of threads on what to coat sliders with, so this post isn't meant to deal with that, at least not directly. My concern is rusting of the portion of the frame that the bolt on sliders interface with.

Since the backing plates on the sliders will create a very small gap between the backside of the plates and the frame, which thanks to the surface tension of water will cause water to be held between the plates and the frame by capillary action for long periods of time, it would seem that this area will be the most critical to address for corrosion protection.

After giving it some thought, my first line of defense will be this stuff:
    https://www.buycorrosionx.com/index...xhd90104&sid=7dno42m6xh0d5i91u0383rcioc52k495

I have used this in the past on rust on a vehicle, and it has done a very good job of stopping it from getting worse. It also has a relatively thick and strong film adhesion (much more so than water), even when washing the vehicle (as long as I don't point the power washer directly at it). I plan to completely coat the frame and back side of the slider backing plates with this stuff, let the VOC burn off, and then bolt things up. That should basically displace most of the air voids between the backing plates and frame, preventing water from getting in. Even if the water gets in, it should isolate if from the metal parts. This stuff is sort of like Fluid Film as far as the film strength/thickness goes, but Fluid Film is wax based, and Corrosion X appears to be petroleum based, so the chances of it drying out and cracking should be nil, and as such, be more self healing.

I was also thinking of adding a second line of defense in the form of POR-15 or the like to the frame. However, I am worried that with Corrosion X being petroleum based, that the oil might weaken and break down the water based epoxy. Which brings me to my first question: What type of paint or epoxy coating would hold up to long term exposure to petroleum distillates? I would think a solvent like gasoline is going to be more reactive than say motor oil (I would assume the properties of Corrosion X would be more like the latter), such that what might dissolve in gasoline would be fine in contact with motor oil. Could anyone provide any experience they have had with this situation?

The second question is, for coatings that require a metal prep/acid etch step, would the existing coating on the frame (3rd gen) have to be sanded off to get something like POR-15 to bond to the steel? What about self etching primer or Picklex 20? Has anyone used these products directly on the frame coating with nothing more than a degreaser/acetone rinse prior to application, and had good results with long term bonding? I would prefer to not sand the existing frame coating off before applying primer/paint. I should note that there is very little rust on the frame as of yet, so coatings that bond with rust might not work as well for my situation.

2. Dec 24, 2018 at 2:49 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    POR15 in my mind is a no-go unless you are applying it over a rusty surface. Doesn’t have to be flaking rust, but it needs to have some surface rusting at minimum. It can work over properly etched metal if you go by their prep instructions but it definitely will not work over existing paint.

Idk how CorrosionX will interact or “weaken” the underlying paint but I’ve used it on my truck frame in both the HD and regular form and haven’t had any issues to speak of at this point.

3. Jan 17, 2019 at 9:46 AM
    adk_tacoma

adk_tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Waterford, NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 quicksand tacoma sr5
    Westin outdoors man winch brush guard, custom switch board, Custom machined tow hooks, 255/85/r16 tires, trd shocks and struts, oba in bed cubby, ladder rack, JDUB skid plate
    I was going to slather RTV on the plates before bolting them to seal out moisture, I haven't yet because I don't want to install them in salt season.

4. Jan 19, 2019 at 11:38 AM
    Thomas1888

Thomas1888 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD offroad
    Just lithium grease?

5. Jan 19, 2019 at 11:40 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Preventative maintenance is the best solution. @Chux pulled his sliders after 4 years and it was pretty bad, but not the point of no return. So I would suggest removing them once every year or two and touching up what needs touching up.

Chux also slathered the slider mounting plate in antiseize to try and keep the rust at bay. Time will tell if it works.

Chux likes this.
  6. Mar 1, 2019 at 7:41 PM
    yorttam83

yorttam83 Chaotician

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Douglas, MA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GX460
    Soccer Mom Delete Kit
    This is what makes me nervous.. I have sliders on order but living in MA they salt the crap out of the roads.. Guess I'll have to pull them off every year or two and do a little painting.

7. Mar 2, 2019 at 9:01 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I wonder if some sort of very thin polycarbonate sheet or something glued to a painted slider would help mitigate rust issues, because then you reduce friction and don't have metal vibrating/rubbing against metal.

All it probably take is some fine sand or gravel to get in between the two surfaces and then a few years later you have rust starting either on the frame or slider.

yorttam83[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Mar 2, 2019 at 8:58 PM
    pinem56

pinem56 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRDOR DCSB AT
    I decided to paint the back side of the sliders with POR-15 and spray down the frame with Corrosion X. If grit gets between, the hope is that there won't be much way for corrosion to get out of hand. I guess I'll see in a couple years how this works out.

9. Mar 2, 2019 at 9:09 PM
    Metallikatz3

Metallikatz3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process
    I sprayed outside of the frame and I side of the sliders with a very healthy coat of fluid film. 2 years and no signs of rust..

10. Mar 2, 2019 at 9:11 PM
    Drainbung

Drainbung Somedays you are the show....

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Fallabama, NV
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB
    TRD Fleshlight
    Fluid Film the shit out of it and you'll be gold.

upload_2019-3-2_21-11-17.jpg

11. Mar 3, 2019 at 4:29 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy Sweet or sour?

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    RSG sliders, SOS skids, SOS bumper, wheels, tires, etc
    I'm putting sliders on my 4runner Saturday. I am planning on going the fluid film route. Does anyone know approximately how many of the aerosol cans I will need? They are 11.75 oz cans.

Can't wait to get them installed!

20190303_143344.jpg

12. Mar 3, 2019 at 5:04 PM
    Sharpish

Sharpish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    One can is probably enough, get two of you want to go full retard on it.

GunthorNC and Thatbassguy like this.
  13. Mar 3, 2019 at 5:08 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy Sweet or sour?

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    RSG sliders, SOS skids, SOS bumper, wheels, tires, etc
    Thank you! Funny coincidence that this thread had such recent replies. This site rules!

14. Mar 3, 2019 at 6:34 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    One will be PLENTY

15. Aug 14, 2019 at 7:13 AM
    woodsman117

woodsman117 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Barcelona Red TRD OR
    OME HD lift, HD Dakars, Duratraks, RCI IFS Skid
    So I have the undercoating on mine done by the company (Autoshine) that the dealer offers. The undercoating itself is the "Auto-Armor" stuff that eventually hardens on. What should I do to prep my frame for the sliders? Should I scrape the stuff off at all the contact points and do fluid film? I'm wondering if it will actually help keep water out of the joints as it ought to create a seal when tightened since it's slightly raised on the frame. Any help/observations appreciated. Cheers!

16. Apr 3, 2023 at 7:32 PM
    Fifthgen

Fifthgen Member

Member:
    Has anyone pulled the sliders off after fluid film to see if it prevent rust on the truck frame after a few years? Please post pictures of you’ve got them.

GunthorNC likes this.
  17. Apr 3, 2023 at 7:34 PM
    Ricardo13x

Ricardo13x YT: @UrbanOpsOffRoad IG: @urban.ops.offroad

Member:
    Port Hueneme, CA.
    Vehicle:
    05 OR DCSB ProRunner(4X4 conv.)
    random stuff. Oh! and converted to non ADD 4x4.
    3AC7A9D2-0A6E-41CE-AC1C-57AA7843040C.jpg Weld ons gang!

18. Jun 22, 2023 at 11:09 AM
    GunthorNC

GunthorNC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Offroad Access Cab 4x4
    I'm also intertested to know.

Products Discussed in

To Top