1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Protection... Alternatives to Fluid Film

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Fitz235, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Dec 23, 2016 at 1:13 PM
    Fitz235

Fitz235 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Black '22 DCSB TRD Offroad 4WD
    - TRD T4R Pro Wheels - TRD Lift Kit - TRD Skid Plate - 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country 3's - OEM Bed Lights - OEM Bed mat - Alpharex Tail Lights - TacomaBeast LED Interior Lights - Green Lane Offroad Aluminum Sliders - Place Holder for More Bad Financial Decisions...
    I'm curious what some of you in the cold weather states have done to protect your frames other than Fluid Film.

I just took my truck to a Line X dealer this week to have Fluid Film applied to the frame, and undercarriage. They were listed on FF's site as an authorized application facility. I just got a new frame last year, and in addition to the frame plug kit (to seal all the holes that the salty water gets in through), I wanted to do whatever I could to try and make this one last longer than the last one.

One thing I was apprehensive about with FF is that it doesn't dry (which for many reasons is a good thing), but it also seams to be attracting dirt, and grit. One unexpected element is the smell. It's FUCKING vile. It's been the better part of a week, and is getting less noticeable, but I won't be satisfied until it's completely gone. It's like a deep pungent musk (it's lanolin based( made from sheep's wool)). FUCKING nasty. One example I remember reading was @File IFR using Thompson's Water seal. I thought of just using car wax.

Anyway, I figured it would help to have a thread with some creative alternatives listed.

1. List what product/method was/is used.

2. Where the truck/you live.

3. How old the frame is/how long you've been using the product/method.

4. Current pics of the frame.

Norton and File IFR like this.
  2. Dec 23, 2016 at 1:17 PM
    Northern Taco

Northern Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma trd off road premium 2023 tundra trd off road
    Fluid film, rust check, krown. All stay liquid. I have yet to see a rust proofing spray that dries protect as good as one that doesn't. They do attract dirt, but the dirt doesn't hurt the rust inhibiting abilities

Markcal and Fitz235[OP] like this.
  3. Dec 23, 2016 at 1:19 PM
    JL911

JL911 Psshh

Member:
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC 2.7L 5spd 4x4
    Rust looks worse than a little dirt on the frame. Krown doesn't smell bad in my opinion and the odor completely fades after about two weeks at most.

Fitz235[OP] likes this.
  4. Dec 23, 2016 at 1:29 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport

Ahh, yes... I remember that thread. Coincidentally I just recently sprayed a coat on for this winter season. I powerwash it all first, let it dry for a day and then pour some water sealer into a paint gun and go to town spraying while laying on a creeper.

I have virtually no rust on my 5 year old frame.

I suppose you could use a car wax, but I think that would be very labor intensive and not get into every tight spot.

Fitz235[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Dec 23, 2016 at 1:53 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Power wash frame - spray with boiled linseed oil - cheap - less then $10 per treatment - drys - slight smell til it drys - no smell after - smell isn't bad at all

ConantTaco, Norton and Fitz235[OP] like this.
  6. Dec 23, 2016 at 1:55 PM
    Fitz235

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    - TRD T4R Pro Wheels - TRD Lift Kit - TRD Skid Plate - 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country 3's - OEM Bed Lights - OEM Bed mat - Alpharex Tail Lights - TacomaBeast LED Interior Lights - Green Lane Offroad Aluminum Sliders - Place Holder for More Bad Financial Decisions...
    I like it. Post some pics when you guys get a chance.

7. Dec 23, 2016 at 2:26 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I have a brand new frame and treated it with linseed oil as soon as I got it home from the dealer. The linseed oil is transparent so there really isn't anything to see. I'd have to get a tutorial on posting pictures B 4 I could do it. My original frame was in excellent shape because I treated it every year so when the recall came I thought I had shot myself in the foot but luckily the tech that checked it out found some rust where the muffler was close to a sandwiched part of the frame - I had missed treating it - the frames rust where salt water from the road collects in the sandwiched layers. FYI I used to use a Wagner spray gun but I switched to the Fluid Film spray gun - much better but it does require a compressor the Wagner does not. If you go this way get a good cartridge mask to protect your lungs.

Fitz235[QUOTED][OP] and Norton like this.
  8. Dec 23, 2016 at 2:41 PM
    anonemoose

anonemoose Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Big Pine, Calif
    Vehicle:
    2015 White TRD Sport V6 DCSB
    Ride-Rites, Everything Weather-Tech Makes Added some 12 volt outlets with relays
    I want to get this done on my 2015, I had searched and just looked again but I don't see any authorized application facility listings on their web site. Where do you see that?

I do see there is a LineX shop close by but I'd like a couple more choices to check out.

9. Dec 23, 2016 at 2:53 PM
    jowybyo

jowybyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB Postrunner 4wd Conversion, Debadged
    Interesting. Is this what you use?

10. Dec 23, 2016 at 2:56 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Don't understand the question

11. Dec 23, 2016 at 3:23 PM
    Fitz235

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    www.fluidfilmundercoaters.com

Living in SD, you shouldn't need to do anything to your frame.

Sugar Silva likes this.
  12. Dec 23, 2016 at 3:33 PM
    jowybyo

jowybyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB Postrunner 4wd Conversion, Debadged
    Sorry. You suggested the linseed oil. I wasn't sure if it was something you just read somewhere or it was something you personally have done.

13. Dec 23, 2016 at 3:35 PM
    Fitz235

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    If you haven't already, order the frame plug kit from Toyota, to seal up all the holes (the vertical ones). Like you said, the last frames rotted from the inside out. As far as I know, all the newer vehicles come from the factory with this plug kit installed.

Edit: Full credit to @Markcal for giving me the initial info on the plug kit, as well as the Toyota CRC .pdf.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    Markcal likes this.
  14. Dec 23, 2016 at 3:38 PM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,
  15. Dec 23, 2016 at 3:49 PM
    Leatherman

Leatherman New Member

Member:
    I live up state NY, brought my 05 to VT. A company sprayed used motor oil on frame, door jambs,even pulled rubber plugs in doors.They did a nice job. 100.00 bucks

Bamo likes this.
  16. Dec 23, 2016 at 3:55 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I'm curious how Amsoil HD metal protector does. I've seen this stuff touted elsewhere. I think you reapply it like fluid film once or 2x a year. Only place I've seen it sold online though is directly from amsoil

Norton and Fitz235[OP] like this.
  17. Dec 23, 2016 at 4:01 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I'll have to look into this - thanks for the suggestion. Wouldn't have a part number would you ?

18. Dec 23, 2016 at 4:03 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    See post #7

19. Dec 23, 2016 at 4:10 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    Unfortunately motor oil will collect dirt.

20. Dec 23, 2016 at 4:12 PM
    Fitz235

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    I'll do you one better, a link to likely the cheapest place to get them, and a write up from Toyota (in the file attachment below).

http://toyotaparts.bochtoyotasouth.com/oe-toyota/0400207104

The plug kit is/was installed as part of the CRC process.

Attached Files:

Norton likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top