1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Protection From Rust, Raptor Bed Liner

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by black_magic2010, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Nov 27, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Comparison pics ? Then and now. Thanks.

2. Nov 28, 2012 at 4:57 AM
    JRod4928

JRod4928 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma SR5
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau WeatherTech Floor Liners Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock Antenna X Black Mesh Grillcraft with Tacoma Badge (Upper) and Cross (Lower) 18" BMF Wheels / Cooper 31.5" Tires 2" Leveling Kit
    x2

3. Nov 28, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    fjrmurph

fjrmurph Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am on the east coast, close to the Atlantic. In the winter here we drive through tons of salt they use to keep ice from forming on the roads. A problem with the type of protection the OP has used is if the frame is not completely sealed salt can get between the frame and the coating and cause problems. I get my truck sprayed once a year Rust Check they use a sticky oil. I also installed Counter Act, an electronic rust protection system. None of these systems are perfect they all have their pros and cons, do the research and see what's best for you and your climate.

http://www.counteractrust.com/

4. Dec 7, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    black_magic2010

black_magic2010 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport DBL Cab
    Looks the same as day one, I mean its bedliner material,it's everything proof. Looks nice and black cause just had the truck washed today, but alls it takes is some armor all:) the op has pics from day one. There is no difference it looks the same..it's the best stuff out there for the frame if you ask me.

image.jpg

5. Dec 8, 2012 at 10:17 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Thanks fir the picture

6. Dec 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM
    JRod4928

JRod4928 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma SR5
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau WeatherTech Floor Liners Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock Antenna X Black Mesh Grillcraft with Tacoma Badge (Upper) and Cross (Lower) 18" BMF Wheels / Cooper 31.5" Tires 2" Leveling Kit
    yeah thanks for the picture man. it makes me feel better about raptor lining my truck in the near future!

7. Dec 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    frrodriguez08

frrodriguez08 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FR
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2006, 4 cyl, 4x4, Access Cab SR5
    Truck still 1400 miles away
    will do, im gearing towards using pneumatic tools with discs brushing pads to remove rust, then depending on how it looks and feels clean with acohol or paint thiner and then decide which of the different coatings recommended in this forum to use in order to prevent more rust or rust coming back, i like the look of your friend's blacken frame pictures.

8. Mar 25, 2013 at 12:47 AM
    black_magic2010

black_magic2010 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport DBL Cab
  9. Aug 16, 2016 at 10:17 AM
    Parabellum

Parabellum Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dcab Man. 6spd v6 Tacoma TRD Offroad elocker
    in the pre mode right now hope to spray this weekend or next week doing frame grill roof part of hood may back bumper can post pic if you would like also using upol raptor spray

10. Aug 25, 2016 at 8:57 AM
    Parabellum

Member:
    North Central PA
    Vehicle:
    end up using 10 bottles of raptor but happy with how it turned out

IMG_20160824_191936.jpg
    IMG_20160824_190904.jpg
    IMG_20160824_191039.jpg

11. Aug 25, 2016 at 9:20 AM
    TRDMountaineer

TRDMountaineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ripley, WV
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC TRD Sport MGM 6-spd S/C
    TRD S/C, aFe Stage-2 Intake, Magnaflow 15315, Leer 100XQ w/ Tracker II Rack, General AT2 265/70R17, OEM skid, TRD FJ caps, Wet Okole Realtree seat covers, TRD grey shift knob, Weathertech floorliners, Weathertech window visors, Salex glove box+console organizers, Grid-It console lid mod, Lamin-X amber fogs, Craven Speed A-pillar phone mount, Debadged
    It's all about surface prep. If the time comes when I need to do the whole frame of mine (instead of spot treating), I will use a dedicated frame product like POR-15. They have a 3 step process that promotes the best adhesion to the rusty metal. I used this on a 94 Toyota Pickup I had. I'm not sure using bedliner is the greatest idea. It's designed to protect, not seal. Plus the bumpy texture would be harder to clean and would hold more salt and dirt than a flat surface.

12. Aug 25, 2016 at 9:38 AM
    Parabellum

Member:
    North Central PA
    Vehicle:
    to each his own many people have used what i have used and worked fine

13. Jan 18, 2017 at 6:27 AM
    jfl1960

jfl1960 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JFL

I have used this product several years ago, bought the whole package, pre-clean, metal prep, primer and topcoat, saw the commercials and read the ads, thought it was the wonder coating of all coatings, bragged to my buddies about how good it was and will last forever, hahahaha had to eat those words, spent a ton of time cleaning. blasting preping and coating just to have the topcoat peel off 6 months later in strips in some areas where the frame hadn't been rusted prior to the POR15 application, but I must say it sticks like dog poop to a wool blanket in previously rusted areas, so if your frame is completely rusted just scrape it down do not clean to bare metal or blast the frame, then paint this POR15 on, it will look like crap because it so shiny and magnifies every surface blemish but it might stay put, also re-coating POR15 must be done within a very short time or the second coat will not stay put, sanding the previous coat does little to help adhesion, in my opinion it isn't worth using POR15 for the package price you pay, a good wire wheel cleaning, some rust destroyer or reformer and then the bedliner option is the route I took after POR15 failure 3 years ago and my frame is still rocking, the bedliner hides surface defects and looks awesome, however it does require some attention, every fall I check before the snow and salt if I have a rock chip or scratch that needs attention as if it isn't fixed then water can get between the coating and frame and cause a bunch more rust, I sand the area lightly to feather the bedliner and clean the exposed frame and use rustoleum rattlecan spray bedliner to touch it up, also I get my truck crowned (rust spray every year) which further protects the hard to get to spots in frame and body, it's a 1999 and looks like a 2016 underneath.

Before anyone says my prep or application wasn't right you should know I paint cars, heavy equipment and machinery and such for a living, own a shop with my own blast booth, and spray booth, so how a backyard guy can get these amazing results is a mastery to me, just my opinion though.

e46_ema likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top