1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Replacement Questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by cpc12, May 31, 2012.

1. May 31, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    cpc12

cpc12 [OP] Member

Member:
    I have a 01 Xtra cab. It just failed frame inspection and is getting a new frame.

I assume many other parts covered and some are not.

I wanted to hear from people who had there frames replaced, what else was replaced.

I have a 5 spd, do they disconnect the motor and tranny ? would this be a good time for a clutch even though I don't need one ? truck has 120 K

What about shocks ? are they covered or do I have to pay for those to be replaced ?

Any chance they will break my CAT and have to replace that ? I need one LOL

Thanks

2. May 31, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Considering the transmission and engine are attached to the frame, yes they dc them. They will (most likely) replace the clutch for free of labor as long as you provide the parts.

Any part you bring them (pretty much) they will replace free of labor.

3. Jun 1, 2012 at 7:01 AM
    FishinTaco

FishinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D'Arcy
    Sudbury, ON
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 5spd
    5100's all the way around, OME 880's and AAL, BF's 265/75R16. Switched beds from Stepside to Fleetside
    Here you go, have a look at the attachment. It's list all that was free. You have to pay for shocks and extra stuff. But the good deal here is labor is free. They would rather put on new parts than old rusty ones. I added a leaf (no charge) and had billies/ome coils put up front. Ordered from Downsouth Motor sports.com, handed them in with the truck. I Saved a ton. I asked about doing timing belt, new clutch etc and if it would be a good opportunity. They said it really wouldn't be any cheaper? Maybe Supra TT is right though? Maybe my dealership messed up? I'd ask for sure, but I opted for when the propper time comes. Mind you my truck only had 114k (kilometers) on it, which is 70k in miles.

Hope this helps.Frame replacement Bill.jpg

4. Jun 1, 2012 at 7:01 AM
    knucklehead

knucklehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    Unless they are retarded, the engine and transmission will remain together and be removed as a single unit. If you want to change the clutch, you will probably have to pay labor. Talk to them though, see if they'll throw in some extra.

5. Jun 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I don't think your dealership was wrong. I think the only stuff that they'll replace free (of labor at least, you still have to buy parts) is stuff that comes off anyway. If they have to take it off to replace the frame, it's just as easy to put a new part on the new frame as it is to put the old part back on. Timing belts and clutches are contained within the engine/tranny, which won't have to come apart anyway so I'd assume they'd charge extra for that. It's still a great opportunity to replace all kinds of stuff like shocks, mufflers, brakes, leaves, coils, etc. free of labor charges. Good luck with the swap OP! Make sure to check everything as I don't think I've read about a single person being completely satisfied witht eir frame swap experience. It's kind of inevitable to miss something though as the techs are basically building a new truck from the ground and it'll probably require a few trips back to the dealer to straighten things out.

6. Jun 1, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    jeepdude

jeepdude Regular Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2004 ext cab 4x4 TRD, bone stock for now
    New frame! Good for you

7. Jun 1, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    jodjr

jodjr Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma V6

Your right...see the pictures I took last month at the dealership. 2003 frame replacement....

Tacoma 3.jpg
    Tacoma 4.jpg

8. Jun 1, 2012 at 7:20 PM
    jodjr

jodjr Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma V6
    Well here is a guy that had his frame replaced and had no issues at all. Top notch work...no problems at all. Mine was done last month....

I paid for a new front bumper (rust) and timing belt assembly. My 2003 truck has 50k miles. I did have to pay some of the labor for the timing belt because thats something they wouldn't have to get into normally during the frame replacement.

Total cost was around 13k...new rear leaf springs also included, brake lines...parking brake assembly etc.

9. Jun 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    If you have the money I would get front and rear shocks replaced along with your front springs if they are original. I didn't but wish I had. My replacement was good except for a screw up that could have been much much worse. They only put on my exhaust from the cat back finger tight! Luckily my CEL came on and caused me to get under and check things out before the whole thing fell off completely. I called the dealership and told them my cel was on and the exhaust was about to fall off and they told me to bring it in, it would ONLY cost $100 to check things out! I haven't been back since.

10. Jun 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    stowayman

stowayman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Monterey, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4X4 TRD O/R - Debadged
    Kenwood DNX9980HD Nav - BT - Sirius - backup camera, Weathertech digifits, maglite mod, 14" billet antenna
    I love California...

11. Jun 3, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    cpc12

cpc12 [OP] Member

Member:
    Im new to Tacomas Ill need some help here..

Im down for buying a bunch of parts, I just don't know what I need exactly.

For the front do I just replace the shocks or do I do the spring that surrounds the shock to ?

Do I need to replace my leaf springs? DO they do it as part of the frame swap? If the don't where do I find them.

In the rear do get RANCHO shocks or just standard shocks ? do they all last as long ?

My Cat is shot, will they replace that ? Are there any good aftermarket cats that won't spit codes after 3 months

12. Jun 4, 2012 at 1:43 AM
    austinramsay

austinramsay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Yuma, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma TRD Doublecab
    You can buy just the shocks for the front or the shocks and coil springs. It is better if you get both though. The most common combo of shocks are bilstein 5100s with eibach or OME coil springs. For the rear i would go with the same 5100 shocks. I just got some on mine and i love them. Downsouth motorsports sells the full 2 front shocks and 2 rear shocks for about $300. And then youd have to buy the coils seperately. You would pobably have to take the springs and shocks to a shop to put them together because thats not something toyota would normally do with a frame swap. Leaf springs would be good if you want to tow more weight or for rear lift. And as for an aftermarket cat id say go with magnaflow because they make some of the best exhaust parts. There is one for sale in the buy/sell/trade thread on here for $100. Anyways search bilstein 5100s and eibach or ome coils on here and youll find plenty of info

13. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:59 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    If you have the money I'd replace both spring and shocks up front. They have to come off the old frame anyway so if you bought them from somewhere else I'm sure Toyota would put them together for you (probably charge you but still, saves you a lot of time doing it right there).

Toyota gives you brand new leaf springs during the frame replacement so you don't need to worry about that, unless you want something aftermarket.

I think most people on here are going to recommend bilstein 5100's for both front and rear. If you get them for the front make sure they are set for zero lift (they are adjustable, but if you go with stock rear springs you don't want the front lifted).

As for the cat, they have to take the exhaust off anyway so it would be easy to replace it if you wanted. I don't know anything about the aftermarket ones though, and I'm not even sure if a dealer would replace it if you didn't get an OEM one.

14. Jun 4, 2012 at 9:24 AM
    FishinTaco

FishinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D'Arcy
    Sudbury, ON
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 5spd
    5100's all the way around, OME 880's and AAL, BF's 265/75R16. Switched beds from Stepside to Fleetside
    I haven't heard of anyone getting charged for the putting the shock and springs together. They are pretty happy to be dealing with new parts not old rusty worn parts.

Just before the frame swap I spoke with the service manager and asked if I could provide toyota with some stuff to replace while they put the truck back together. They say no problem and no charge, for reasons mentioned above.

I drove my truck in with four billie 5100's, set of OME coils and a Skyjacker 1.5" add a leaf for the rear end in the box. When I drove out with the new frame, everything was installed on the truck, no charge. Again have a look at the receipt above.

I think they (dealerships) charge Toyota like 60hrs for the frame swap, but I've heard of some techs getting in done in 17 -20hrs...but the dealership still gets to charge Toyota 60hrs. Bottom line, the dealerships love this job and are making good coin, they don't mind throwing a shock together or chucking an extra leaf in there for the customer.

I had a main axle seal in the front gone that they replaced for really cheap (because it was apart) and had them re-wire the rear end for a trailer. Those are the only extra things they charged me for.

hope this helps.

D.C

15. Jun 4, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    cpc12

cpc12 [OP] Member

Member:
    So in the frame swap they replace the leaf springs with new ones for sure ??

I don't care about anything bigger or better, mine all rusted so I like new ones if they include them

HAs more than 1 person received new leaf springs in the rear.

do the shock websites sell the springs for the front too ?

What are they called exactly

Thanks

16. Jun 4, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    cpc12

cpc12 [OP] Member

Member:
    Ive been looking at eibach springs with the 5100 shocks, it seems this combo lifts the truck.

I do not want to lift the truck is there a stock height application ?

17. Jun 4, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    cpc12,

1st thing is do a search for "frame replacements" here in the forum....You will find our stories....

2nd Make that service writer your BEST FRIEND NOW ;)...go over your "want" list with them and ask for prices.....then go on line and find those same parts from other companies;Bilstein,OME, KYB, and so on....then give the "Dealer" room to match them...

I did and when they throw in FREE labor( they torched my old shocks off,bolted brand new on) WE both made out...

Last item , If you can Buy that "Wrench" lunch, good things happen too....my emergency brake clips( backing plate @#$%^& ) were re-worked and lubed....and I got spoiled; 2 trips into the "Shop" to see the process transform :thumbsup:

Good luck and hopefully you can report back when finished telling all of us positive notes also....:cool:

18. Sep 21, 2015 at 3:57 PM
    Curtmagurt

Curtmagurt Death from Above!

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD OR DC
    LEER topper, Thule roof rack, predator steps, LineX sprayed grill and bumper caps, debadged, tinted windows.
    So just want to throw this out there the dealer Ik working with In NC specifically Fayetteville NC. Rick Hendericks Toyota. Will not put parts on free of labor while the frame is already apart. I was under the assumption they would so I purchased 5100's front and rear and a wheelers ADL and upper control arms and they want to charge me to put everything on. So now the project is on hold since I've gone through 2 managers and so far they said well we can do labor for 75 dollars an hour and it looks to be about 6 and a half hours.... But... It's all coming off anyways and it's rusted as hell... Why not put non rusted parts on it? And not screw me on labor. So if they don't work with me guess they will be putting on shitty old parts. And I'll do the lift myself lol. Not thread jacking just letting yawl know that some dealers will not install for free.

19. Sep 21, 2015 at 7:17 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Find a new dealer... It costs zero extra time to use new parts!

20. Sep 22, 2015 at 2:58 AM
    Curtmagurt

Curtmagurt Death from Above!

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD OR DC
    LEER topper, Thule roof rack, predator steps, LineX sprayed grill and bumper caps, debadged, tinted windows.
    I would if they didn't already have the frame lol

Products Discussed in

To Top