1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Replacement-Warranty Extension

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TGAR, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Feb 14, 2012 at 10:35 AM
    TGAR

TGAR [OP] Member

Member:
    Rochester,NY
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Lots of threads out there about this issue. (Not trying to beat a dead horse mind you) So, I was made aware of this action recently when I received this letter from Toyota. I bought my 2002 Tacoma two years ago and just got this about two weeks ago. So here it is and hopefully it will clear up alot of misunderstanding. (or cause even more!) Keep in mind, this specifically sites New York registration so perhaps deadlines varied by state. NY does tend to squeeze (read extort..) businesses a little more than other states, so maybe that has something to do with it. I am told that my frame will be replaced so we'll see how that goes. Unfortunately, no buy backs for the 2001-2004 yrs. Hopefully this at least gets everybody an actual document so there will be no more "my friend said..his cousin got...my uncle's third wife's brother in law read...

Peace Out!
    Romans 1:16

Attached Files:

2. Feb 14, 2012 at 11:50 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Where is the iowa letter? I wish I could get my frame coated.

3. Feb 14, 2012 at 10:15 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    Thanks for taking the time to post.

4. Feb 17, 2012 at 9:19 AM
    bpkrules

bpkrules Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma4x4 BATMAN
    ARB Front bumper. Custom rear bumper. ARB snorkel. 883s 90004s. 1 inch daystar body mounts lift. Full skids. Leather seats.
    Need one for Texas.

5. Jun 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM
    blackbrit

blackbrit Well-Known Member

Member:
    W. NC Mountains
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCSB 4x4 OR 6 Speed MT
    3 inch lift
    Wow. I thought I'd been following the frame rust saga, but had never seen one of these letters applying to 01-04's. My '98 was bought back by Toyota under the extended warranty, and I couldn't be happier with how it worked out.

I read part of it as stating that under certain conditions, and at Toyota's discretion, that they might buy back a specific truck. Again, at their discretion. Maybe I'm misreading; but there's nothing like seeing the actual letter.

Old thread, I know, but for those of us following this issue I wanted to give the thread a bump. Including the letter is much appreciated! Thank you.

6. Jul 6, 2012 at 9:47 AM
    herbaltonic

herbaltonic New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thom
    VA (PA Truck)
    Vehicle:
    4x4 SR5 TRD Off-Road
    Hey, I'm a new member, and have searched a few forums extensively regarding this issue, and need the forum's help. My 2002 Tacoma is a Pennsylvania vehicle, which I bought in 2008, and has followed me to Virginia, Florida, Mississippi, and back to Virginia. I learned of the frame issue while in Florida (April 29, 2010), and had a local dealer conduct the inspection as instructed by the Toyota owner's website (no mailer). They had no treatment to apply as they are not a cold weather state, but failed to inform me (as far as 2 year old memory serves me)that with no treatment, my future chances of frame replacement would be shot. Fast forward two years to getting the truck in for it's annual inspection in PA while in town. Mechanic finds a hole above the right rear leaf spring on the frame, and informs me that within 1-3 years it will be unsafe to drive. I call Toyota, get a case manager and number to negotiate this problem. After some research on his part, he tells me I am ineligible for replacement because it is a Pennsylvania vehicle. I think, o well I tried. A few weeks go by, I get more and more angry about that reply and call back. He tells me that I am ineligible because the treatment was never applied in April of 2010. I throw everything I can at him, specifically the fact that I feel I held up my end of the bargain by going in and getting it inspected, and now I have no warranty or course of action because the dealer in Florida was not authorized to apply the treatment, nor did they even possess said treatment. My only thought is to try and get a local dealer to at least inspect the frame again and hear me out, but I feel like I am pretty much screwed since Toyota approves replacements. Does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed? I absolutely love this truck, and want to do everything I can to keep it going, but I'm not going to put my family in danger if it's unsafe. Thanks.

7. Jul 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    sportsterchop200

sportsterchop200 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Georgia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Tacoma 4x4
    OME 881, Bilstein 5100 @ 0", OME 10mm JK spacer, Stock rear on 265/70-16
    Please post your results. I live in Florida and bought a truck that came from Ohio. I was unaware of the issue until after I purchased the truck. I was also told that the frame would/could not be coated because of my location and they would only provide a replacement frame if the the original failed. The dealer inspected it and said it's good. The frame does not have any holes that I can see and I have beat on it a few times. So I have began sanding and recoating it myself with spray on bedliner. Very currious to know your outcome.

Products Discussed in

To Top