1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Rust 2001 -2004

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by twfsa, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Oct 22, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    twfsa

twfsa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.

Do a little research I belive Toyota owes you a free once a year inspection.

2. Oct 23, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    twfsa

twfsa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    http://www.autosafety.org/uploads/phpp6bVyg_TacomaCustomerSupportProgram.pdf

Was it ever posted what was the cause of the pre-mature rust out of the frames, was it cheap steel, or just the salt used on the roads, here in Nebr they have been useing salt forever and I have never seen the kind of frame rust out on vehicles as I have seen on the Tacoma's. Body rust yes!

Read the above link it says as you read it that if you feel un comfortable about inspecting the frame Toyota will do it for free.

3. Oct 23, 2011 at 1:02 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    Thanks for the link. I've seen that before but it doesn't say anything about a 2002. I know there is a letter somebody posted online about extending this protection to 2004 models, but I can't seem to find it. If I had that I would bring it to the dealer and hopefully they get the picture...

4. Oct 23, 2011 at 1:09 PM
    ronman737

ronman737 Dangerous

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Greenville, SC
    2008 4Runner 4x4 Sport
  5. Oct 23, 2011 at 10:59 PM
    abugrace

abugrace Member with issues.

Member:
    NWA
    Vehicle:
    01 DBL cab TRD
    ram air intake, 3 in lift, magnaflo exhaust
    You do not need a letter. You need to call Toyota's customer service line & speak to a rep about the Tacoma frame warranty. Your 02 Tacoma is covered under the warranty.

They will assign you a claim number & tell you where to take it.

If the dealer starts to fuss you need to speak to a manager at the dealer & tell them Toyota sent you here. Take names & extension numbers so you know who you are dealing with at Toyota.

If rust has worked it's way through your frame then Toyota will replace it. If the dealership is not willing to work with you or is trying to get you to pay what your not supposed to then make a claim with the BBB & let Toyota know about it also.

Again there is no letter that is needed to have this process done.

6. Oct 26, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    Joe02TRD

Joe02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Woodbridge, CT
    Vehicle:
    4cyl 5sp 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Well dropped of my Tacoma yesterday so that a Toyota rep could take a look at it today. They gave me an 07 Yarus for a loaner. Dealer called a few minutes ago and said A. they'll be replacing the frame with a new one. B. I should continue driving the Yarus until it is complete. They feel it's unsafe to drive in the condition its in.

He said he'd order the new frame and it would take 2-3 weeks to receive, then 1-2 weeks to complete it. So I probably won't see my truck for a couple months

7. Oct 27, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    abugrace

Member:
    NWA
    Vehicle:
    01 DBL cab TRD

THATS GREAT! I'm still waiting for my frame to come in. I have been told by the dealer out here in Arkansas it could take 2 to 3 months. Now I'm starting to wonder if this dealer knows what it's doing. I'm wondering if I should just pay for shipping & send the truck up to Michigan were they have done a million of these. :annoyed::annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

8. Oct 27, 2011 at 5:38 PM
    Nitro52

Nitro52 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ct
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR/SX
    A couple of weeks ago here in CT I brought by 2001 in for power steering work. The dealer told me they inspected the frame and it was one of the worse they've seen and unsafe to drive.
    Toyota case manager told me that the program covering my truck ended this past Spring and that nothing could be done for me.

9. Oct 27, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    Taco.VR4

Taco.VR4 Fast Cars, Off-Road Trucks, and Hott Women ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma, '97 3000GT
    5100s, Icon 3 AAL, Custom-built front/rear bumpers, Hybrid seats, 3000GT modified intake box, toolbox, D-rings
    OK so has anyone ever gotten the response that is does not apply to their taco?

I called two different local Toyota dealerships and both responded that the frame inspection/rusting did not apply to my '02

???

*edit* these are two Michigan dealerships so they shouldddd be aware of/worked with the frames before

10. Oct 28, 2011 at 3:27 AM
    Joe02TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Woodbridge, CT
    Vehicle:
    4cyl 5sp 4x4 SR5 TRD

Yea man I really can't complain, going to get a new suspension and have a loaner at no cost to me. They said it would be 2-3 weeks to get the frame in, and they've also done many of them too.

11. Oct 28, 2011 at 3:31 AM
    Joe02TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Woodbridge, CT
    Vehicle:
    4cyl 5sp 4x4 SR5 TRD
    I can guarantee you that dealer has no idea what they're talking about. I took my truck in last week to get it inspected and this week to have the toyota rep give the final approval. And it stayed there to get the frame replaced. Where in CT are you?

12. Oct 28, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    Nitro52

Nitro52 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ct
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR/SX
    My 2001 is currently at Lynch Toyota in Manchester, CT. After they inspected the frame, they told me I would have to deal with Toyota myself. I called Toyota and they assigned me a case manager and gave me a case number.
    The case manager told me that I missed a frame replacement program that ended this past May and that it was my fault for not knowing about the recall sooner. A co-worker had a 2000 Tacoma and I asked him about his frame. He said that it was rusted and that Toyota gave him a check for $12,000 this past June. At that time he checked KBB value and it was $6000, $5000 if traded in.
    This gave me hope. He suggested that I contact Toyota again, this time through their financial services department. I did this and the best they could do was to again hook me up with the case manager I had before. She told me that '95-2000's were part of a different program that included the buy-back and a 15 year window. 2001-2004's had a frame replacement-only plan that expired.
    This guy bought his 2000 second or third hand and got $12K; I bought a 1991 and 2001 brand new from a dealer and got my face stuffed in the dirt.
    After all this I hate giving my money to Toyota again, but the Tacoma is the best truck for me. I have a rental car now and am dealing for a 2012.

How's that for a hose job?

13. Oct 28, 2011 at 7:41 AM
    FishinTaco

FishinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D'Arcy
    Sudbury, ON
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 5spd
    5100's all the way around, OME 880's and AAL, BF's 265/75R16. Switched beds from Stepside to Fleetside
    Hey Nitro52, that sucks man, but I think your dealership doesn't have a clue.

Up in Canada the program for the frame swap ends this month. It seems other folks in the states, and yours in particular are stilll getting frame replacements? I would look into it further that's BS. I'd fight hard, if you are like me, the 2nd gen does not compare to the first gens (imho). I've gone through a buy back, a 2010 purchase and sold it, bought 2002 and had it's frame replaced, I'm a happy camper now!

DC

14. Oct 29, 2011 at 8:43 PM
    abugrace

Member:
    NWA
    Vehicle:
    01 DBL cab TRD
    These dealerships are giving you the wrong info. One thing I have found out is their are many Toyota dealerships that are not honoring the 15 year frame warranty that is being given to all of us Tacoma owners.

They will give you every excuse in the book to not do the work. The only reason I can come to is they do not have the expertise to do this work. Avoid them. Toyota can not force them to do the work either.

Taco.VR4 I purchased my Tacoma when I lived in Michigan. I contacted Dunning Toyota in Ann Arbor & spoke to Tracey the Service Manager. She really knows her stuff. I was able to get tons of info from her & then pass it on to the Toyota dealership down here in Arkansas cause they have not done any of them. Dunning Toyota has done a bunch of these frame swap outs. They even have some of them on youtube. I'm not sure how far away Ann Arbor is from you but I would give it a try. Even if you have to drive a few hours it's probably worth it. If the dealership here in Arkansas does not get the parts in soon I'm probably going to have the truck shipped to Ann Arbor to have the work done.

Here is the link to Dunning Toyota ask for Tracey.

http://www.dunningtoyota.com/index.htm

I hope this was helpful.

15. Oct 29, 2011 at 8:49 PM
    abugrace

Member:
    NWA
    Vehicle:
    01 DBL cab TRD
    Did you talk to Toyota or the dealership? YOU HAVE A 15 YEAR WARRANTY on the frame that expires 15 years from date of manufacturing. The dealership how NO say so in the matter. Your buddy was able to get his truck bought back cause they no longer make the frame for the 2000. the 01-04 are still being made. My Taco is an 01 & i'm getting the entire frame replace. Just waiting for the parts to arrive. But then again with a name like "Lynch" I would use caution!! LOL!

16. Oct 31, 2011 at 3:51 AM
    Joe02TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Woodbridge, CT
    Vehicle:
    4cyl 5sp 4x4 SR5 TRD
    They're def confused at your dealer, I literally just bought my 02 3 weeks ago and its at the dealer now waiting on a frame replacement. No questions asked, they inspected it...got Toyota's approval and gave me a free loaner. Mine is up at Dowling Toyota in Litchfield. Guys there were very helpful!

17. Oct 31, 2011 at 7:02 AM
    Taco.VR4

Taco.VR4 Fast Cars, Off-Road Trucks, and Hott Women ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma, '97 3000GT
    5100s, Icon 3 AAL, Custom-built front/rear bumpers, Hybrid seats, 3000GT modified intake box, toolbox, D-rings
    So I called them and talked to a manager named Mark. You were right, he was incredibly helpful, spelled out everything including the difference between the frame replacement warranty and the buy-back years. There is no mileage limit like I have been told by other dealerships, only the 15 year warranty. NOTHING about the warranty ending, the only thing that has started to end is the 15 year limit on the 95's...

So yeah I would HIGHLY recommend calling them even if you are not from the area, if nothing else to get info to bring to another dealership.

18. Nov 1, 2011 at 7:32 AM
    abugrace

Member:
    NWA
    Vehicle:
    01 DBL cab TRD

Very cool man! I hope you get your truck fixed the right way now.

19. Nov 2, 2011 at 6:49 AM
    LoneWanderer

LoneWanderer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 Access Cab 2.7l 5spd
    Bilstein 5100s, Rancho Quick Lift struts, Wheelers 3 leaf aal, Procomp 8069s, General Grabber AT2 31x10.5, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler
    I just got mine done on my '03 at a small dealership in my hometown here in ohio. I dropped it off in the morning on a day off and they said it would be done in the afternoon if it passed which it did. They said the frame was great and had no rust and they called me while they were doing the undercoating and told me there was a recall on the ball joints that wasnt done so they kept my truck overnight to get that done. Got the truck back and they did pretty much everything underneath. Inside the frame, brake lines, suspension parts, gas tank. It really looks nice under there now. Just in time for winter. And I got new balls out of the deal :D

My invoice said the total for the frame work was ~$470 and the ball joints were ~$450. good thing I didn't have to pay anything.

20. Nov 3, 2011 at 4:04 PM
    Joe02TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Woodbridge, CT
    Vehicle:
    4cyl 5sp 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Update on my truck. Service manager called me today and said new frame is already in and partially together. Its scheduled to go in for an alignement tomorrow but the mechanic noted some issues that should be addressed and asked if I wanted to replace them, some with no labor fees:

Rear shocks- $207
    Both inner tie rods- $135
    Sway bar bushings- $32
    Front rotors are under spec and new pads- $400 including labor

I told him to go ahead and do the tie rods & bushings. I can do the brakes and shocks myself and save allot of $$.

He said they're waiting on a new gas tank strap and spare tire carrrier assembly and the truck would be ready. But if the strap came in before the spare tire I could pick it up and drive it until it came in if I wanted. I'm excited to get it back!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top