1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Rust 2001 -2004

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by twfsa, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Nov 3, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    killzone90

killzone90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Fairdale,ky
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma
    Man my yoga shop I work in puts shocks on free if u have frame replaced and u buy the shock cause they have to take them off anyway

2. Nov 3, 2011 at 6:25 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4

That is how my dealer treated me also....purchased new on all 4 corners, no labor charge....easier on the "tech"...they were 7 years old;oem ;)...

3. Nov 4, 2011 at 4:59 AM
    Joe02TRD

Joe02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Woodbridge, CT
    Vehicle:
    4cyl 5sp 4x4 SR5 TRD
    He said the 207 was just the cost of the rear shocks no labor. I thought it was kind of high and figured I can get them allot cheaper myself and just pop them in. Should be easy since they took them off already anyway. I would buy a set and bring them there but the dealer is an hr away from me so it will just be easier if I do them myself.

4. Nov 6, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    abugrace

abugrace Member with issues.

Member:
    NWA
    Vehicle:
    01 DBL cab TRD
    ram air intake, 3 in lift, magnaflo exhaust
    My frame just came in & the truck is going in tomorrow for the frame change out. Hopefully all goes well.

5. Nov 6, 2011 at 4:05 PM
    Joe02TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Woodbridge, CT
    Vehicle:
    4cyl 5sp 4x4 SR5 TRD
    cool! Good luck

6. Nov 8, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    Nitro52

Nitro52 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ct
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR/SX
    I emailed Toyota again with a link to this post, especially concerning Joe02TRD also being from CT. I would take a credit towards a new Tacoma in the amount of what the frame is worth; they wouldn't even have to do the work. They wouldn't budge an inch for me.
    Their response, " We note your case has been fully reviewed, and concur with the position previously offered. We have documented your comments at our National Headquarters, where they remain available for review from the appropriate departments. It is through feedback such as yours we are able to monitor and improve upon the quality of our products and services."

How nice is that!!

7. Nov 8, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    Joe02TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Woodbridge, CT
    Vehicle:
    4cyl 5sp 4x4 SR5 TRD
    What did they previously offer you? From what I read on your last post they said the frame replacement program had ended this past May... I would suggest taking it to a different dealer. The dealer in Litchfield is an hr away from my house and I took it there because my local dealer said they were the ones who had undercoated it in 09. But the truck is literally there right now getting the frame replaced so to tell you the program ended is crazy.

8. Nov 8, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    Taco.VR4

Taco.VR4 Fast Cars, Off-Road Trucks, and Hott Women ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma, '97 3000GT
    5100s, Icon 3 AAL, Custom-built front/rear bumpers, Hybrid seats, 3000GT modified intake box, toolbox, D-rings
    ^^^ yup take it to a differant dealer. Besides, even if you would throw an enormous fit and get it pushed through... do you really want them grudgingly tearing your entire truck apart?

no I say let the ones who will do it willingly and who have done multiple other replacements do it. Which is why I'll be taking mine 3 hours away on the other side of the state.

9. Nov 9, 2011 at 5:24 AM
    Nitro52

Nitro52 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ct
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR/SX
    Joe02TRD, their "previous offer" was that there was nothing they can do for me because I missed the deadline. Both Lynch Toyota in Manchester and Gale Toyota in Enfield told me that it was up to me to deal with Toyota.
    Taco.Vr4 to answer your question, "do you really want them grudgingly tearing your entire truck apart?"
    No, I don't. As a matter of fact I don't want it fixed anyway. With 217,000 miles, I would rather have Toyota's cost (for a new frame) credited to me towards a new Tacoma. Lynch Toyota told me the power steering would cost $1,600-1,700 to repair. It needs some brake work. It needs an exhaust system. The shocks have never been changed. Who knows what else is close to quitting.
    So, after all this, I realize that it was only the '95-2000's that got a cash buy-back option and because I really don't want it fixed anyway, I probably don't have the right to expect Toyota to give me a credit because the '01-04's had a frame replacement program only.
    However, I was never even offered a frame replacement. I see a 2000 that got $1200 this past June and I see Joe's 2002 that is currently getting treatment. Both of these Tacomas were purchased used. Here I am with a 2001 I bought brand new from a dealer, (my second new Toyota pick-up), and a program that I was told expired this past May.
    I just find it more than a bit annoying that the company made a faulty product and I suffer because I don't fit through the hoops that they set up to rectify a problem of their creation.
    And now I see in today's news that there's another large Toyota recall.

10. Nov 9, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    Joe02TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Woodbridge, CT
    Vehicle:
    4cyl 5sp 4x4 SR5 TRD
    if you could and are willing to travel. Give Dowling Toyota a call in Litchfield and make an appt to have the frame checked. There were 3 other Tacoma's there waiting when I dropped mine off to have the Toyota rep look at it.

11. Nov 9, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    02tonkatruck

02tonkatruck Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Erieville ny near syracuse
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 4wd
    wish I had the money lol
    I am not sure if anyone has asked this yet but is it free to have your truck looked at? I just bought my 02 this summer and after reading this i am a little concerned that my frame may be rotted. I bought the truck from my grandfather in vermont is this a problem?

12. Nov 9, 2011 at 1:31 PM
    acad54

acad54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North East Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRDOR
    How did the treatment work out? I'm in Kirksville and these knuckleheads won't do anything, claim they haven't even heard of the treatment.

13. Nov 9, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    Joe02TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Woodbridge, CT
    Vehicle:
    4cyl 5sp 4x4 SR5 TRD

Yes its free to have it checked. They looked at mine while I waited and then called me to drop it off when the Toyota rep was coming in to look at 3 of them. They gave me a loaner car with no questions asked. Mine had been undercoated by the same dealer looking at it back in 09 and its there getting the frame replaced right now. I would def take it in for a look if I were you. I bought mine in upsate NY 2 weeks prior to having it inspected.

14. Nov 9, 2011 at 6:56 PM
    abugrace

Member:
    NWA
    Vehicle:
    01 DBL cab TRD
    I really don't know how all this conflicting info is happening. THE WARRANTY IS NOT MILEAGE BASED IT'S A 15 YEAR FROM DATE OF MANUFACTURING!! END OF STORY! I have spoken to Toyota about some of the complaints here on this blog & they are telling me "makes no sense". So I really don't know how some are having problems. Does not add up.

I have my 01 in the dealer right now getting the frame changed out as well. I have been posting my experience all along the way with the hope of helping others with the same problem to get it resolved.

I have speaking with Toyota's reps all along the way cause the dealer here in NW Arkansas is the one I have to constantly keep correcting. I caught them today trying to reuse my old leaf springs when Toyota sent them a new set to install as part of my frame change out. I told the guy I expect every single new part that is included in the frame kit to be on my truck. He tried to tell me it's because of my lift kit. I told him it takes 10 minutes to remove the extra leaf that is included in my lift kit. I was appalled they were trying to take a short cut just to avoid loosening 4 bolts & sliding out the extra leaf. & to add insult to injury my springs are rusty.

Dunning Toyota in Ann Arbor Michigan is BY FAR the best dealership to deal with in regards to the frame issue. I contacted them & they gave me the best info that I passed on to the Toyota dealership here in NW Arkansas. I almost forked out the shipping cash to have them do it, but was convinced by the dealership out here that they want to do it. My truck is there 1st one. The best thing they did for me thus far is give me a brand new Tundra as a loaner.
    I'm just tired of constantly having to double check their work. I'm still nervous to see just how well they did their work. We will see.

15. Nov 9, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    Fiolo

Fiolo Senior member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, 2022 Tacoma, 2019 L5P Duramax
    Lost track many mods ago
  16. Nov 9, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    abugrace

Member:
    NWA
    Vehicle:
    01 DBL cab TRD
    Contact these guys & speak to the service manager. Her name is Jackie. She is very knowledgeable on this issue. http://www.dunningtoyota.com/index.htm

Also did you contact Toyota first? If you have not, you should do that before you take it in to a dealership.

17. Nov 10, 2011 at 5:07 AM
    acad54

acad54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North East Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRDOR
    I called Toyota and got a case number before I took it in. I asked about the coating and they said they had no idea. On one of the lifts was a Tacoma getting a new frame though.

18. Nov 10, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    02tonkatruck

02tonkatruck Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Erieville ny near syracuse
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 4wd
    wish I had the money lol
    what number do you call for toyota to talk to them about this?

19. Nov 10, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    Joe02TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Woodbridge, CT
    Vehicle:
    4cyl 5sp 4x4 SR5 TRD
    :headbang: Dealer just called and the truck is ready!!!

All but the spare tire carrier is done. He said who ever had the truck before me did some funky stuff with the rear brakes. Splitter was plugged going to the back so back brakes were not even working. They installed all new lines and splitters! Man I can't wait to pick it up :woot:

20. Nov 10, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    Joe02TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Woodbridge, CT
    Vehicle:
    4cyl 5sp 4x4 SR5 TRD
    picked up the truck and it feels excellent! Drives like new!! Looked at it closer when I got home with a flashlight and everything looks brand new! Only thing I was dissappointed with is they didnt put the hitch back on. And I planned on using the truck to tow my trailer full of brush to the dump over the weekend so I can clean up after the storms.

Products Discussed in

To Top