1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Rust on a 2nd Gen??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bgsmith, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Oct 26, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    bgsmith

bgsmith [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Hingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedway Blue TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ATX Mojaves with 265/75 16 Hankook Dynapro ATMs, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers (front and rear), Bilstein 5100 all around up front set at 1.75", Blacked out badges, Pioneer AVIC D3 DVD/NAV Head Unit, K&N Air Filter, Tyger Tri Fold Tonneau Cover, Rockford Fosgate Punch Speakers.
    OK, so I know that the 1st gens have had some issues with rust, but I recently bought a 2006 and it has been bothering me that there is some surface rust on certain undercarriage components. Doesn't look to be anything serious but I don't want it to turn into anything serious. Recently put wheel spacers on and took a closer look at the rust and it doesn't seem too bad, similar to surface rust that I have often seen on tow hitches.

My truck also came with some Westin running boards that were pretty rusty, I removed them.

Do I have anything to worry about, my truck is certified pre-pwned and I doubt a dealership would certify a truck that has rust issues, just figured I would ask

2. Oct 26, 2011 at 8:48 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Every car in the north east will rust.

3. Oct 26, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    bgsmith

bgsmith [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Hingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedway Blue TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ATX Mojaves with 265/75 16 Hankook Dynapro ATMs, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers (front and rear), Bilstein 5100 all around up front set at 1.75", Blacked out badges, Pioneer AVIC D3 DVD/NAV Head Unit, K&N Air Filter, Tyger Tri Fold Tonneau Cover, Rockford Fosgate Punch Speakers.
    Yeah like I said I an just being paranoid, going to try and clean most of it up this weekend if I get the chance.

4. Oct 26, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    Best way to get some opinions is to post some pictures... "Some Rust" has a different meaning to everyone. One thing that comforts me as a Toyota owner, is the fact that they have owned up to the fact that there have been problems in the past and they compensate owners when there is an issue. Which leaves me not worrying about it...

5. Oct 26, 2011 at 9:10 PM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    "my truck is certified pre-pwned" lololol

6. Oct 26, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Suspension rust and frame rust are very different things. Parts like control arms, leafs and U-bolt plates can be replaced. Frame rust is harder to repair.

1st gen frame, made by Dana, is boxed, which can trap moisture inside and rust. 2nd gen frame, made by Hino, is for the most part two C-channels riveted together.

The front mudflaps, despite their ugliness, are surprisingly effective at preventing rust on the rocker panels.

7. Oct 26, 2011 at 10:49 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    In rust we trust. :)

8. Oct 27, 2011 at 4:36 PM
    MYSUV

MYSUV Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    05 Bone Stock
    I live in Vermont so road salt bath daily for many months of the year. My '05 has been hot oil treated a couple of times, but the frame is still rusty, rusty, rusty. I know things in this neck of the woods rust, but I've driven other brands for years in the same conditions and never worried. Toyota has issues--it's not just normal rust from road conditions.

9. Oct 27, 2011 at 4:38 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    hasnt this subject been covered over and over again. WHippersnapper needs to see this. He would suggest the search button :D.

10. Oct 27, 2011 at 5:01 PM
    speeddemon2588

speeddemon2588 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Columbus, IN
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail
    5100's
    Bought my truck "Certified pre owned" and it had enough rust for me to freak out. Then again I am from the southwest, where things don't rust they melt. So post some pics. Odds are you will spend a weekend or two getting familiar with a wire wheel, and your choice of rust coating. From what I understand rust is something we have to get used too, with all the salt on the roads. I believe a certified taco comes with a 15 yr frame warranty. I'd have to go track down my warranty paperwork. You can always have it inspected at the stealership, but they will most likely do nothing.

Search the forum, lots of useful info. Here are two to start you off.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/172515-frame-corrosion.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/164013-frame-rusted-through-club-11.html

Products Discussed in

To Top