1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame rust recall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by markey, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Aug 15, 2019 at 7:12 AM
    glockner

glockner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Yep, my trailer hitch did not get replaced when my frame did. Thing is rusted to hell.

robssol and cleats50 like this.
  2. Aug 21, 2019 at 6:50 PM
    cleats50

cleats50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2007 TRD
    air intake push bar running boards
    My bumper support bar was shot and the hitch took alot of work to clean it up. I can't understand why they didnt give me a heads up about the bumper when my frame was replaced. Glad I checked it out before I used it.

3. Aug 26, 2019 at 6:19 PM
    st1ckbow

st1ckbow Active Member

Member:
    Well I got the truck back, couple little things and one big thing that there is serious pulsing of the brakes, way worse than anything I had before the recall work. They did mention my pads were worn, could this be a symptom of the brake lines being freshly flushed but with sad old pads?

4. Aug 29, 2019 at 10:04 AM
    GQ7227

GQ7227 mw survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    J A Y
    309km east of Hazard ...the good life
    Vehicle:
    '97 black SR5 0g ~ MT @ 176k ...
    black woolWax, green IFC, borlaCB, custom Line-X PC drums, skid, nuts, hooks, 1/4 silver frame...
    wtf ... NO REALLY ... I mean WTF

like it doesn't snow and ice on the roads in IA MO NE KS SD ND..
    i once again called 1-800-331-4331 to get some near desperate help (because I am VERY frustrated and have exhausted all local possibilities) and recommendations on my truck i've had for 22yrs now.
    i feel clueless and helpless anymore and would like some answers to this BS situation, its like they scorn me for trying to keep a nice Tacoma where i live :bananadead:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  5. Aug 29, 2019 at 11:55 AM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    Let me help you move on with your rusty frame replacement problems. Your shit out of luck because you don’t live in one of the states that Toyota replacement program covers. So quit thinking your going to get your frame replaced for free. Your stuck with a 22 yr old rust bucket.

So since you can’t trade it or sell it, because nobody’s wants to buy a rust bucket. You have 2 options.

1) Do nothing and let it rust some more.
    2) Undercoating to slow down the rust.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  6. Aug 29, 2019 at 2:35 PM
    GQ7227

GQ7227 mw survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    J A Y
    Vehicle:
    black woolWax, green IFC, borlaCB, custom Line-X PC drums, skid, nuts, hooks, 1/4 silver frame...
    damn dog, you bite like a pitbull!!

Jaypown and spitdog[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Aug 29, 2019 at 3:37 PM
    sgage

sgage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 Red Tacoma SR5
    Actually, I think the Cold Weather State thing is for the crappy CVC coating they tried in lieu of replacement. I don't think it matters what state you're in if your frame meets the criteria. The main one being that 10 mm hole. But your info seems to indicate that your truck is a '97, in which case, you are well and truly SOL. What year is your truck? If its first service date was less than 12 years ago, and it has The Hole, you will qualify no matter what state you're in.

But if your truck is truly '97, well, spitdog described your options pretty well.

GQ7227 likes this.
  8. Aug 29, 2019 at 7:45 PM
    GQ7227

GQ7227 mw survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    J A Y
    Vehicle:
    anybody use this stuff?

[​IMG]

DETAILS
    Internal Frame Coating destroys rust hiding inside the chassis, so it doesn’t rust its way through

Stop Hidden Rust with Eastwood

You spend time and money restoring a chassis, and almost certainly have applied a car undercoating to stop water and moisture from rusting the underside. But what about all that rust inside the frame? Use our Internal Frame Coating to make your chassis rust-free throughout! This special aerosol spray destroys rust hiding inside the chassis so it doesn't rust its way through and destroy the frame from the inside out. Old frames on vintage or muscle cars are hard to come by, and Eastwood Internal Frame Coating is an affordable way to preserve a chassis so you don't need to search out or fabricate a new one. This spray is available in a black or green finish to stop this rust during auto frame restoration before it can reveal itself to the world.

How Frame Coating Works

Each can of Internal Frame Coating comes with a special 24-inch tube that reaches inside the tubular steel bars and frame parts. This tube has a conical nozzle with multiple sprays, which reach outward to completely cover the innards of the metal. Tough phenolic resins in this coating then penetrate and encapsulate the rust on the internal surface, preventing it from spreading. Zinc phosphate seals it to prevent future corrosion. This special coating cures within 24 hours, leaving you a frame that's strong inside and out even in the subframe and cavities.

Expert Tech Service

Wondering how to spray paint inside a tube? Not sure how much you'll need for a project? The Eastwood team is here to help. We offer free product demonstration videos, how-to-articles, over-the-phone advice and more so you can do the job right. Give us a call, send an email or visit the Eastwood Garage online 24/7. Internal Frame Coating is one of several great products we offer for restoring your chassis so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor on the open road.

Features:

• Tough phenolic resin penetrates and encapsulates the rust on the internal surface.
    • Zinc phosphate seals it to prevent future corrosion.
    • 24" long tube with conical nozzle reaches in to spray coating in a radial pattern for complete coverage.
    • Aerosol covers 10 sq. ft.
    • Fully cures in 24 hours.
    [​IMG]

Internal Frame Coating destroys rust hiding inside the chassis, so it doesn't rust its way through. You spend time and money restoring a chassis, but what about all that rust inside the frame? Apply our Internal Frame Coating to make your chassis rust free throughout! Tough phenolic resins penetrate, convert and encapsulates the rust on the internal surface. Zinc phosphate seals it to prevent future corrosion.

Toy4me likes this.
  9. Aug 29, 2019 at 8:01 PM
    GQ7227

GQ7227 mw survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    J A Y
    Vehicle:
    yes, I have read on TW that the CVC stuff is not the proper method to prevention

all i know is what I am now learning thanks to TW and trying to figure the funny business out for my safety, since no dealer or Toyota customer care 1-800-331-4331 I feel give a rats crap about my safety (for real I feel this way) or they would definitely look into this further for me and offer proper expert guidance. I have called them 5 or 6 times to explain my personal situation and can still not get the information to satisfy.

i recently found out that a fellow TW 1st gen guy from PA with a '97 he bot used that received an official notification about this problem about 10 or 11 years ago
    I did not receive an official notice about the ongoing developments and to get it checked, and not sure why? ... the dealers around here were Also clueless when I brought this to their attention in late 2o1o after I had heard about somebodys Tacoma from Indiana in a paltalk chatroom that was having this frame issue. I remember the local dealers, 2 of them I believe, at first refused to service me!

10. Aug 30, 2019 at 12:48 PM
    ClassicVW

ClassicVW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    North and South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR 4x2 2.7 DCSB MGM
    Wasn't these service campaigns to last 12 years from first in-service date?
    And you're looking for a free frame on a 23 year old vehicle?

Either you bought it used and Toyota had no way of knowing you owned the truck (and they probably sent notice to the previous owner and instead of trying to pass along the info to you, he threw the notice in the trash.)

Or, you were the original owner and moved, and didn't inform Toyota.

Either way, it's not Toyota's fault.

Your truck has lasted 23 years (and still going). Toyota owes zip, zero, nada, to a 23 year old vehicle. Recognize it for what it is, a really great run and go buy a new truck already.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    robssol, Stryker420, Jaypown and 2 others like this.
  11. Sep 2, 2019 at 6:30 AM
    GQ7227

GQ7227 mw survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    J A Y
    Vehicle:
    thanks, Mitch, I just discovered that product a couple days ago after endlessly searching online again for the best product to use

https://youtu.be/9HE5k5zU31I

12. Sep 2, 2019 at 9:20 AM
    FRE1809

FRE1809 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island,N.Y. ; USN ( Ret.)

GQ7227[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Sep 2, 2019 at 9:52 AM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    I lol’d as soon as I saw it was a Tacoma. I’ll be doing the same thing as soon as I get my truck back from frame replacement. I’ll probably do inside my doors and tailgate too. I have a bunch off stuff in my Amazon cart. I’ll pay particular attention to the brake and trans lines and all the fittings.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    GQ7227[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Sep 2, 2019 at 4:23 PM
    Davetaco321

Davetaco321 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 06
    I guess I was luckier than some with this Toyota replace my frame, lower control arms loaded, bushings in the front end, brake lines throughout the truck. I was actually happily surprised when I saw that they replaced every brake line

Marc70 likes this.
  15. Sep 3, 2019 at 3:07 PM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    So when I was approved for my frame replacement the dealer said 4-6 weeks for the frame to show up. Since I'm just staring on week 5 I called to ask if they had any info on when my frame was due in. I was told that the frames are on back order and they have no idea when it will come in. I'm not upset at this but wonder what it's going to turn into time wise. Just hoping it gets done before it gets to cold to work outside because I want to drench every square inch of the underside of the truck with fluid film type stuff before winter and NJ salt/brine madness.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Black DOG Lila and GQ7227 like this.
  16. Sep 3, 2019 at 3:12 PM
    Blue92

Blue92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 4x4 2.7L
    My dads truck took almost 2 months on the dot. Begining of April to Begining of June this year. He was quoted 4-6 weeks from the get go like you.

robssol and GQ7227 like this.
  17. Sep 3, 2019 at 4:17 PM
    sgage

sgage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 Red Tacoma SR5
    My truck waited for 2 1/2 months for the frame and parts to come in, but that's pretty much what they told me to expect. This was last summer. I didn't mind too much - they gave me a brand new Tacoma for a loaner all that time (my truck was judged unsafe to be on the road at the frame inspection).

robssol likes this.
  18. Sep 3, 2019 at 5:17 PM
    bobsuruncle

bobsuruncle I void warranties

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    back back to Fall City Fall City, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    ARB bull bumper, warn 9000 with synthetic rope, icon CO's & 700lb coils, road armor rear bumper, dakars + Archive Garage shackle flip.
    I was told 6-8wks, and the parts kits came in before the frame. Pretty much 3 months +/- a day or two and then 4 days to tear down and reassemble.

And then there was another 10 days it took them to fix their fuck ups.

GQ7227 likes this.
  19. Sep 3, 2019 at 5:24 PM
    GQ7227

GQ7227 mw survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    J A Y
    Vehicle:
    it could take me 2 months to 2 years to adequately 'fix' my truck (with absolutely NO F**CKING help) so it don't turn out like this v6 unicorn truck (1 month older than mine with 239k miles) found at local salvage lot :bananadead:

Toyota says or said my state does NOT have the winter problem...
    please help :help:
    thumbnail  6.jpg

thumbnail  20  back box.jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    spitdog likes this.
  20. Sep 3, 2019 at 7:04 PM
    bobsuruncle

bobsuruncle I void warranties

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    back back to Fall City Fall City, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    ARB bull bumper, warn 9000 with synthetic rope, icon CO's & 700lb coils, road armor rear bumper, dakars + Archive Garage shackle flip.
    Even if you where in a winter state, you're outside the extended warranty period for that year of truck. By the end of 2019, 15yrs will be past on the last year run of the 1st gen Tacoma in 2004 and toyota will have washed their hands of anything frame related they've agreed to make right. Even then for a 2004 to be approved for frame replacement today, there's many hurdles and requirements the truck needs to be covered.

I'd hardly call that rusty Tacoma at the junkyard a unicorn. More like a lost soul that became an organ donor because of its previous owners unwillingness to take advantage of Toyotas offer.

Jaypown likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top