1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame rust recall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by markey, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Oct 25, 2019 at 5:18 PM
    tacom08

tacom08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB 2WD Rugged Trail Edition
    Flowmaster Super 10, K&N CAI, bumpers, LED taillights
    I'm seriously considering that as my next ride. Sucks that the V6 isn't available in the SE trim but oh well.

2. Oct 25, 2019 at 5:31 PM
    bobsuruncle

bobsuruncle I void warranties

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    back back to Fall City Fall City, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    ARB bull bumper, warn 9000 with synthetic rope, icon CO's & 700lb coils, road armor rear bumper, dakars + Archive Garage shackle flip.
    Read the law suit first. Print it out and bring it with you.

3. Oct 25, 2019 at 6:46 PM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    Could I bother you for a link? Not lazy but drunk :p, Halloween party :anonymous:

robssol and bobsuruncle[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Oct 25, 2019 at 6:57 PM
    bobsuruncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    ARB bull bumper, warn 9000 with synthetic rope, icon CO's & 700lb coils, road armor rear bumper, dakars + Archive Garage shackle flip.
    http://www.toyotaframesettlement.com/

Download the settlement PDF, read it. There's a page or 2 where it mentions a"parts" or "incidental parts" are to be replaced as a result. Either due to rust or if they where broken during the frame replacement process at no charge to the customer. You shouldn't have to pay a dime if they determine it needs replacement due to rust or if it breaks during removal or reinstallation of the replacement frame.

Then print out the whole thing if you wish, or just the key parts related to Toyota corporate picking up the tab.

Toy4me[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Oct 26, 2019 at 8:56 AM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    Thanks. I read through it and the wording you are directing me to is easiest to find under the FAQs section #4 and I'm quoting here " If any perforation in the frame is found to be 10 mm or larger, then the frame will be replaced, as well as all applicable parts and service items incidental to frame replacement." From all 190 pages of this thread I've understood this to mean hardware and brackets. If someone here has gotten toyota to cover the rack I've missed it. I'll go to the dealer today and see if I can get something in writing and call corporate on monday but I'm not getting my hopes up. I wanted to call anyway to make a complaint about them trying to charge me labor on swapping in new parts.

6. Oct 26, 2019 at 9:45 AM
    fredgoodsell

fredgoodsell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD OR
    Not the steering rack, but my brakes were covered when my frame was done. Dealer found seized parts, called corporate for permission, and covered it.

7. Oct 26, 2019 at 10:23 AM
    bobsuruncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    Ok so for some reason in my previous post, the word "ancillary" was cut out. Here's a page from Toyotas internal memo sent to dealers reguarding replacement of ancillary parts. The power steering rack itself is listed, not just the hardware nuts and bolts etc....

There's many more threads on this and it's hard for me to keep track of where I saw things, but there are others on this forum who have had their rack replaced for free by Toyota during the frame replacement process.

Screenshot_20190317-010323.jpg

TRDSport10 and Muddinfun like this.
  8. Oct 26, 2019 at 10:25 AM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    Thanks. Good for you on the brakes. My dealer wants to charge me $200 to install my provided new rotors and pads. I don't recall anyone in this thread saying they had a rack covered, but I do remember reading that some were at least able to negotiate parts prices with the dealer. I just got off the phone with the dealer and am going there now.

9. Oct 26, 2019 at 12:36 PM
    SWPA Tacoma

SWPA Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevo
    Vehicle:
    2006 White Tacoma DCLB
    It continues to amaze me that the dealerships and techs have no idea what is covered and what isnt. Then people get pissed off that they paid for parts that should have been covered, and Toyota WILL NOT reimburse you after the fact. Same thing happened to me with my power steering lines. I found out 4 months after the frame swap that I paid $400 for something that should have been FREE. Then Toyota told be to go pound salt after I asked to be reimbursed. I even had pictures of the rusted out line, AND an invoice that stated "replaced power steering lines, very rusty, may leak."
    Take a copy of the frame settlement with you, show him the ancillary item list, and ask him WHY IN HELL do you have to pay for it!

spitdog, Muddinfun and bobsuruncle like this.
  10. Oct 26, 2019 at 2:36 PM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    Thank you. This is the most promising document I've seen and will contact the dealer Monday. It will be great to have the the Toyota doc # so they can look it up.

On to my trip up to the dealer. I got nowhere with them. I was either misled or lied to by a service mngr that definitely isn't a mechanic. When I asked about the labor charge for the rack he said it's because it doesn't get disassembled. It stays with the suspension and engine in one unit. What an idiot. Then when I get taken to the truck in service, there's the rack lying there by itself. I took a pic and told the service writer that I should have recorded their mngr lying to me. They won't budge on the $200 to swap in my new rotors and pads. I had asked to have the carrier bearing replaced. When I looked at the work order I misread a price as $113 and thought that that was it. Re reading it at home it says propeller shaft for $1131.31. When I looked up propeller shaft on ToyotaPartsDeal it's the front half of the drive shaft. And even with the drive shaft already out they still add an hour labor. Will have to have that clarified. She misquoted the steering rack at $1700 but still want $1300 + $270 in labor. Oh and my a/c condenser (the a/c radiator mounted to the engine radiator) is "sagging" and will eventually leak. $319.75 for the part and oddly no labor to install. The best was the $3417 they want to replace my exhaust which is supposedly leaking. One plus - I had purchased my own tsb springs and a wheelers progressive aal and installed it all myself. They're going to reinstall those and just give me the new spring set and shackles. Tech said he'd leave it in the box and put it in the bed. I'll either get a new aal from wheelers and install the new stuff in the spring or just hold on to the new leaf springs.

28089FF3-71C4-4CA2-B3F0-9B3C4335D1BD.jpg
    80410406-6A1A-4824-8628-5A11E857BC48.jpg
    C8441D96-5DCF-4C89-AFE6-1EFDD403E762.jpg
    556776B6-2810-4946-8E64-4D05C82C5A88.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  11. Oct 27, 2019 at 1:43 PM
    poorkid99

poorkid99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Got my truck back with a shiny new frame. For the most part everything seems good. I do have a violent shake from the steering wheel when braking from highway speeds. I am wondering if they put the rotors on opposite sides when reinstalling. They def put my coilovers on the wrong side and I will need to adjust the ride height on the driver side. The other thing I’ve noticed is condensation is dripping on my passenger side floor mats and when I have the ac/heat on when the car first starts up there is a crazy noise coming from below the glove box. Sounds like someone is rustling shopping bags together, any thoughts?

CCD07863-1388-4C26-9FFF-172031A5B972.jpg

12. Oct 27, 2019 at 2:20 PM
    bobsuruncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    Leaves in the blower motor? Pull the cabin filter and check inside the housing for leaves and other objects.

cleats50 and JLTIMM like this.
  13. Oct 27, 2019 at 8:37 PM
    roadking1

roadking1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    n.j.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TrdPro 6-speed manual
    They probably over tightened the lug nuts and warped the rotors...That is what they did to mine. Mine were replaced less than 2000 miles before. Of course the dealer denied that it was their fault.I needed an impact gun to take the wheels off.

14. Oct 28, 2019 at 9:50 AM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    Re quoting your post to thank you again. As posted, I got no where with the dealer. I actually forgot to mention that after the manager told me the rack stays in and finding it out of the truck when I was taken to see it I got a different answer from the tech. He said that there is a labor charge because with a new rack he has to assemble it, re center point the steering wheel, and do an alignment because of the new rack. As if those things wouldn’t happen anyway. I mean really, he’s going to reconnect the steering and install new lcas and hardware and not do an alignment. So I’ve given up hope on the dealer and called corporate this morning. Explained the two different labor cost explanations, gave them the bulletin number. They agreed that the parts could be included and they are going to contact the dealer on my behalf so :fingerscrossed:.

15. Oct 28, 2019 at 12:42 PM
    Northern Taco

Northern Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma trd off road premium 2023 tundra trd off road
    The dealer makes all the difference. Once mine realized I'm not an idiot and do a lot of my own mechanical work they installed parts at a reduced cost or no cost (rear shocks)

The dealers really make money off these frame replacements, they get 40.5 hours to do one (at a corporate labour rate) and it took them 2 days to complete mine, plus additional labour for upgrades

bobsuruncle likes this.
  16. Oct 29, 2019 at 8:20 AM
    TacoBreaker

TacoBreaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Rust Bucket
    OME 885, 5100s
    Well that’s awesome... so because I accidentally made one hole due to how rusty my frame is but admitted I did it, that disqualifies my frame from the program even though it has a second one that Ive not touched. At least Toyota Corporate finally said I can still have the frame inspected, but no corrective actions will be taken. gee thanks... and they’re very sorry I feel that way. And yes I realize the settlement agreement is the real reason they finally said I could have a reinspection.

The one I did is the one with the square around it.

Cheap steal is cheap steal. Guess I’m done.

D272B1DF-9AF4-4A48-8278-B12D47700A32.jpg
    C5E04E9C-BFF3-47FB-A298-EA1EBA4A7DAA.jpg

17. Oct 29, 2019 at 2:44 PM
    DLillest

DLillest Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SBM DCSB 6MT 4x4
    How did you make the hole? How do they know you made the whole?

18. Oct 29, 2019 at 3:03 PM
    TacoBreaker

TacoBreaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Rust Bucket
    OME 885, 5100s
    Thumb.... yeah I know how it sounds but there’s a pretty good chance I’ll make a video of me “inspecting” the other one with my index finger. Not saying it was a gentle push, just completely didn’t expect it to pop/crumble like it did. Because I’m an idiot and straight up told them “I put a hole in my frame.” What’s funny is that they treated me like a crook trying to rip them off when I straight up admitted I f’d up and did that one before they seen the truck. That’s why there was chalk around it before they seen it! I literally marked the spot I did. Toyota’s stance is the frame is a single component so by me doing that one, I ruined the entire frame. The guy at Toyota corporate that gave me the final verdict literally tried using an analogy of damaging the screen on your infotainment system.

And that was me trying to minimize my ranting and just answer the question asked. Happy to share the experience if it helps someone else.

Marc70 likes this.
  19. Oct 29, 2019 at 4:36 PM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    We feel your pain. Toyota doesn't give a shit about any of us. I have a feeling corporate isn't gonna do shit for me and my dealer issues. When my truck is done I'm going to the local Dodge dealer, I've been getting flyers in the mail for leases for $199. My friends' is beautiful and hes' had no issues with it. I'd never buy one, but to lease for 36mths @ $199/mth I could be swayed. Turn it in before problems begin. A Ridgeline would really suit my needs but no good deals on one around here. I'll check KBB and Carmax. I'd take a couple grand loss to sell to carmax and avoid C/L tire kickers.

20. Oct 29, 2019 at 8:12 PM
    bobsuruncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    Wow that is fucked.

Products Discussed in

To Top