1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame rust recall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by markey, Feb 14, 2013.

1. May 29, 2015 at 7:58 PM
    CT Yankee

CT Yankee Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR AC AT MGM
    Only aesthetic mods so far Leer 180 cap & Clazzio covers on order.
    Been tardy at updating my situation. Got my Tacoma back in April - 4 months and a day after leaving it with the dealer. Aside from the frame, I had to replace rotors & calipers, replaced the shocks, replace the hitch receiver, a power steering line and other sundry items. Total cost to me about $3K. So far all is good. Had to bring it back for an exhaust leak that confused a sensor triggering the Check Engine light. One week later the magnetic clutch on the A/C pump failed - who would of thought that would list for $700.

After enough complaining to Toyota Corporate they sent me a check for $500 to help offset my costs.

All in all, an okay experience. Just wish Toyota had more realistic MSRPs for their parts. Hoping to get another 9 years out of this truck. Hopefully retiring to a southern state will help.

2. May 30, 2015 at 12:24 PM
    R0dzilla75

R0dzilla75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport
    HID fog light 265-70-17 Firestone destination ATs Led interiors lights TRD seat covers
  3. May 31, 2015 at 4:11 PM
    tacofish

tacofish Well-Known Member

Member:
    N NJ
    Vehicle:
    14 ext cab 4x4
    3/1 lowrange spacer lift 285/70/17 wildpeaks
    1one1 - The only thing I had to pay for was $65 for new u bolts for rear. I have 1" lift blocks and they told me had to cut bolts because they were frozen.
    Dealer try to scam me for a bunch of stuff but I told him give me the truck back when frame was done.
    Call Toyota corp. and complain to them

4. Jun 1, 2015 at 7:33 PM
    1one1

1one1 addicted...

Member:
    First Name:
    Keone
    Eastside Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB Sport 4x4
    blk headlights, 6k hid's, blk grillcraft top n bottom, led taillights w/ smoked reverse, blk wet okoles, extang trifold cover, 265/70 duratracs, bilstien 5100 @ 2.5, 1.5" aal rear, spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers, super white led interior lights, 2 JL 10" subs in custom box, alpine m-1000 amp, Pioneer 3200dvd head unit, husky floor liners, more to come...
    Tacofish please elaborate one the dealer trying to scam you. My dealer tried to clarify what they meant. Now it's sounding like if other parts are rusted that aren't covered they require you to buy new parts if they are unsafe to put on the new frame. I guess similar to what CT Yankee described. If there are worn or unsafe parts they pretty much force you to replace them all at that time.

5. Jun 2, 2015 at 8:00 AM
    Stuligan

Stuligan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    Billy 5100 level lift (0.85" front) White/Amber DRL/Signal Kit GTA Car kit for AUX/IPod Satoshi Grill 2x 20" LED Light bars behind grill HID headlights LED Taillgihts LED interior lights.
    Finally heard from Toyota Canada.

All costs, including bolts and anything that people seem to be charged for are going to be covered for me, after waiting 10 months I told them I was not paying for any of it, either the dealer or corporate will have to cover it.

I also complained about the excessive wear that my frame took over this past winter. The golf ball size hole in my frame is now a football sized hole. Toyota Canada told me to take it back to the dealer, they will inspect the truck again, and if it is deemed to be unsafe for road use Toyota will provide me with a rental until the parts are in for my frame and the dealer is able to change it. I am fairly confident that I will be driving a rental away and at this rate I could be in it for 3 or 4 months until the frame is done.

6. Jun 2, 2015 at 9:35 AM
    Koam

Koam Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport DCLB
    I haven't done mine yet, waiting for frame. I'm dealing with Servco at Mapunapuna and they have been very good. I asked for a parts printout which they gave me listing all the supplied parts that come with the frame and it matches up with what others have posted. They said that after the truck is apart they would recommend what else should be done with some of labor either being free or reduced. I can see there being extra reasonable charges to have some service done while the truck is apart. I think it depends what the customers had done extra. A factory hitch is about $1k and isn't covered by recall so if someone didn't want their rusty hitch put on their new frame for example, I can see things adding up. My front black splash shield/skid plate rusted off years ago. The service guys didn't think it would be covered but sounded like there is some room to negotiate. I found one on CL awhile ago so it's not important to me but other things might come up like that and I wanted to get an idea if there's wiggle room for them. I get about a 15% discount on parts at Servco but find I can do better than that buying from OEM parts dealers online even with the freight. I have about 140k miles on my 05 so will be doing some extra stuff like shocks, hoses, belt, water pump, drive shaft carrier bearing, plugs, misc rusted brackets etc. I'm already up to about $1k in discounted parts I'm ordering so it does add up quickly.

Decide what works best for you and use the time to shop around for the best price on parts online or local craigslist.

BTW There were three rusted frames they had already done on the side of the building when I was there. One had obviously been rust proofed.

It would be nice if there was a list somewhere of recommended things to do while the truck is apart.

7. Jun 2, 2015 at 5:20 PM
    tacofish

tacofish Well-Known Member

Member:
    N NJ
    Vehicle:
    14 ext cab 4x4
    3/1 lowrange spacer lift 285/70/17 wildpeaks
    I posted this a few pages back so this is a repeat. Was told in Nov I needed a frame at first they told me I had to bring truck back in a few days because rust was by brake lines. The Rep said if they found any parts that needed to be replaced they would do them at parts cost. When I called to bring it back I was told to keep it because frame would not be in for a few weeks. If the brake light did come on call them immediately. LOL
    Took 5mnths to get frame was given a corolla, about 21/2 weeks later they called and said I needed wheel bearing and new steering rack because tie rods were worn and it was a sealed rack(never heard of that) also stated they could no do alignment (This makes sense).
    Asked why they didn't replace parts when truck was apart was told they didn't notice then.
    I asked them to give me a price since I had corolla and would be easier.
    Price for wheel bearing $800!!
    Steering $1200 plus labor.
    I said put wheels on Ill pick it up, drove it to mech by my house replaced it for $350 (toyo parts) said tie rods were OK
    New front wheels and alignment done at different shop they said rods were OK
    Theres more to the story but didn't want to make post to long.

8. Jun 4, 2015 at 9:12 AM
    05DoubleTaco

05DoubleTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2005 Lifted DoubleCab
    3" Toytec Lift, 285/75/16 Cooper STT, Moto Metal 951 Wheels, Magnaflow Exhaust, K&N Intake, URD MAF & Tune, Full Stereo w/ Marv Custom Box
    I picked mine up from Younger Toyota last week. Frame looks good and drives nice. The dealer did nickle and dime me for things that I dont necessarily agree with. The hitch looks hacked to pieces and they wouldnt reinstall the hitch or rear bumper, asking for $460 for rear bumper brackets because they were rusted. I didn't pay that and took the truck home without a bumper. Rear u-bolts were cut and they wanted $180 for a full rear kit stating they couldnt just order longer ubolts. I paid the $180 just so I wouldnt have to deal with it at my home garage. And lastly they said the truck wouldnt align due to a bad bushing in the steering shaft, and got me for $280 for that. Total cost of non-warranty repairs was $470 and I drove home without a bumper and hitch. Confused as to why that was my problem when I brought them a truck with a bumper and aligned? Maybe a call to Corporate is in order?

9. Jun 4, 2015 at 10:27 AM
    spicer

spicer Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD tacoma
    stock
    hey you shouldn't have to pay sh!t I will be picking mine up this afternoon, they better now try any bullsh!t when I pick it up
    !

10. Jun 4, 2015 at 10:35 AM
    R0dzilla75

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport
    HID fog light 265-70-17 Firestone destination ATs Led interiors lights TRD seat covers
    Good luck Spicer! How long was your wait?

11. Jun 4, 2015 at 10:49 AM
    spicer

spicer Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD tacoma
    stock
    It took 6 months for the frame to make it too the dealer and one week to change it out, they put new front end entire break lines and new leaf springs................

12. Jun 4, 2015 at 6:17 PM
    R0dzilla75

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport
    I'm hoping all I have to wait is 6 months. 4 months in still behind 6 trucks. Dealer hasn't done a single truck in over a month. I was kind of hoping that production would, at some point, ramp up to meet demand. Enjoy the truck!

13. Jun 5, 2015 at 6:21 AM
    spicer

spicer Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD tacoma
    stock
    Well people got my 2005 4x4185,000 miles, back from the dealer after one week, new frame complete new front end, wire harness, new leaf springs, new break lines and a warranty, free of charge! Truck drives like new, very happy with toyota .................

14. Jun 5, 2015 at 6:29 AM
    spicer

spicer Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD tacoma
    stock
  15. Jun 5, 2015 at 8:36 AM
    NJ.TACOMAN

NJ.TACOMAN Active Member

Member:
    Spicer- Glad to hear you got your truck back. When you say complete new front end, what did they replace? I know from other posts that lower control arms are included with the frame, but what about uppers, ball joints, tie rods, etc. Did they replace those no charge too?

PS- I bring my 05 DCLB in on Monday for inspection. Spoke to the service manager, he told me I can supply any parts I want and they will install with no labor charge.

16. Jun 5, 2015 at 10:22 AM
    spicer

spicer Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD tacoma
    stock
    A arms ,tie rods everything looks brand new in the front end even the rubber boots....

17. Jun 5, 2015 at 11:41 AM
    MGH-PA

MGH-PA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northcentral, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD AC 4x4
    265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bestop
    Mine goes in at the beginning of July. I told them that I do not want the coating. Either replace it, or call me and I will come pick it back up. It's getting sold and/or traded in within the next few months anyways.

18. Jun 5, 2015 at 12:29 PM
    NJ.TACOMAN

NJ.TACOMAN Active Member

Member:

Good to know. I will mention it to the service mgr when I go in Monday. Thanks.

19. Jun 8, 2015 at 6:05 AM
    spicer

spicer Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD tacoma
    stock
    FYI they didn't coat my frame like I read in this form,( stuff dripping from the frame) my frame is completly dry just black paint........

20. Jun 8, 2015 at 6:24 AM
    R0dzilla75

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport
    That's for those who didn't qualify for a new frame and Toyota instead, offered to spray some anti corrosion stuff. From what most say, that stuff sucks bad. Dripping off and making a real mess.

Products Discussed in

To Top