1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame rust recall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by markey, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Nov 12, 2015 at 3:49 PM
    a.s.

a.s. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stack
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver '07 DCSB Sport
    KO2s/5100s/Eibachs/TRD
    Probably an alignment issue, especially if the vibration happened after the lift install.

2. Nov 12, 2015 at 3:53 PM
    Bryce

Bryce Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Central Wisconsin
    Yeah that's what I was thinking, but it's gone now.

3. Nov 12, 2015 at 4:17 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    After about 2 weeks of the frame replacement, I had a pretty loud clunk that happened several times in a couple days. It was sooo loud, that my neighbor was outside walking her dog and she heard it while I was leaving for work. Had my husband drive it and it didn't happen until he entered our driveway (concrete curb thing). We took it to the dealership immediately that morning. The tech drove it..and of course, it didn't happen. They offered to keep the truck for the day and check everything (suspension & steering) and make sure everything was tight. I got the truck back after work....and they said "We didn't find anything"

Which...I call BS. It hasn't happened since..... I'm convinced they found something that was loose and didn't want to admit it.

4. Nov 12, 2015 at 4:56 PM
    a.s.

a.s. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stack
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver '07 DCSB Sport
    KO2s/5100s/Eibachs/TRD
    Maybe Toyota did an alignment with the frame swap?

5. Nov 12, 2015 at 5:36 PM
    Charlot

Charlot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 2018 Upgraded
    Don t think that this c
    Thanks for the reply.
    They never fixed it,or just told me everything was normal.
    Have to say that everything is great beside that pain in the a.....vibration feeling.
    I wonder if it has to do with taking the motor in and out,or my transmission taken in and out,or my muffler replacement,,which i doubt.

6. Nov 12, 2015 at 6:41 PM
    Bryce

Bryce Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Central Wisconsin
    Yeah I assume that they would have had to do an alignment to make sure it was right after putting the truck back together .

a.s.[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Nov 12, 2015 at 7:07 PM
    a.s.

a.s. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stack
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver '07 DCSB Sport
    KO2s/5100s/Eibachs/TRD
    LOL, I was being sarcastic. :D

It definitely sounds like that was your issue and now it's fixed!:thumbsup: Enjoy the (newish) ride. I just picked up a lift kit in anticipation of my frame swap. I just hope Toyota calls my number soon. Not sure how long I can keep all those parts hidden in the shed before my wife sees them. :p

8. Nov 12, 2015 at 7:31 PM
    Bryce

Bryce Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Central Wisconsin
    Yeah.
    Hopefully you don't have to wait to long

9. Nov 14, 2015 at 2:52 AM
    jofixer

jofixer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    webberville, mich.
    Vehicle:
    SR5 sport 4x4
    Anybody that is getting a frame done, PAY attention. Your power steering return line that follows the crossmember just above the skidplate will almost certainly need to be replaced. The dealer (spartan toyota) told me 500+ bucks. I said "no way". They said they would cut me a break for 300+. Again I said "no way". The service kid said they would do the best they could to put it back without having it leak. I went to drive it off the lot, no warning from the service guy, no power steering...To make a long story short, I drove it home without power steering and replaced the line in my garage with a piece of 7/16 hydraulic line I had. The dealer made it ABSOLUTELY clear they would NOT cover the Power steering line as part of the recall. Point: if you can, and are inclined, diy the piece of line before you take your truck in. It is about the most simple fix I have ever done. Use a 3/8 line instead of 7/16. Also have some hose clamps as a backup.

10. Nov 14, 2015 at 2:32 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Everything they removed or took off has been 'disturbed' and is no longer factory installed. From the factory....and over time, your truck settles in, breaks in, wears in.....becomes 'seasoned'. And then...Toyota comes along and takes everything apart. They can NEVER get it back to the exact condition it was in before. Depending on what it is.....depends on whether its a concern. If you can narrow it down to any given location - you'll know if you should take it back to the dealer and PUSH them to fix it!!

I had a vibe which I narrowed down to the airbox inlet tube. After the 1st trip to the dealer (2 weeks after frame), the vibe was reduced. I still ended up putting foam padding between the inlet tube & the fender. The foam padding that was in there, was soooooooo squashed & brittle

11. Nov 15, 2015 at 4:38 AM
    Charlot

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 2018 Upgraded
    Hi Janster
    You are probably right that certainly it can not be as perfect,but overhaul I am very happy with my new frame,and everything that was replaced at no cost,except my muffler,though again it was a steal fir a brand new one at 250,sometimes i wonder if it has something to do with that muffler ( small vibration) that I feel,even in my foot on the gas pedal when i drive.
    It is nt much,but gets on my nerve sometimes.
    I asked them to look it up last February when they did my frame,but they told me everything was find,,,lololo,I am sure that it was nt there before they changed my frame.
    Well,small price to pay in a way to have a new frame,gas line,etc,etc,,
    Again,i am very happy with my Tacoma,love that truck!
    Cheers from Ontario Canada
    Charly

Janster[QUOTED] and a.s. like this.
  12. Nov 15, 2015 at 7:19 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Oh most certainly..... I'm glad I did it also. I do plan on getting another truck next spring....but hey, anything can happen in life and perhaps I'll need to keep it another 5 years? Who knows...but at least it'll be protected for years (for me or someone else).

When I had my 'vibration' - I had immediately thought it was the muffler also. I crawled underneath and checked everything for something coming lose - found nothing. This might sound crazy, but check your airbox - the inlet tube where it goes into the fender. Put your hand on it while someone revs the engine. Can you 'feel' any vibes? I would've NEVER thought such a vibration would've come from the airbox..... My husband remembered a situation we ran into (with another vehicle) and a Cold-Air intake system that caused a hellish vibration. The oddest thing.....to have such vibes from the airbox. ??

13. Nov 15, 2015 at 9:46 AM
    Charlot

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 2018 Upgraded
    Thanks Janster
    Ill check that out.
    All the best
    Charly

Janster[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Nov 16, 2015 at 6:00 PM
    avidnyhunter83

avidnyhunter83 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD 4WD.
    Tonight I replaced the brake caliper on the passenger side of my truck like the dealer recommended. Well I decided to take the other front tire off and noticed they broke the bleeder screw on the other caliper. They were apparently not going to tell me so we'll see what they say when I call in the morning.

15. Nov 16, 2015 at 7:24 PM
    blazze2005

blazze2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-Runner Sport
    Fuel Off-Road Octane Wheels,Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/65/17.Grillcraft,Borla Exhaust,Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover,Pop n Lock Tailgate Security,Custom Wet Okle TRD Seat Covers,Catch-All Matts,Gatorback Belt,Shorty Antenna,Toyota Bed Matt,Sirius Radio,Vent Sades,20% Lumar Window Tint
    but how much does the return line cost? It cant be that much? My brother in law gets parts for 10% over cost so Im gonna find out how much the line is and have it for them when they swap the frame. anybody have the part# mine is 2005 trd sport pre-runner

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  16. Nov 21, 2015 at 7:30 AM
    Toy Coma

Toy Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon Coil over lift, SPC UCA, Wheelers AAL & Bump stops Relentless fab rear bumper, AVID Sliders, Statoshi Grille Mod, Morimoto LED fogs, Ebay Headlights W/Halos Core Short Throw Shifter, mesojdm Ultimate LED pods. Cali raised ditch light brackets 17" SCS Ray 10 brushed Copper Wrapped in 295/75/17 General Grabbers Wilco prerunner style Tire gate ATH off road front bumper
    Well add my 06 TRD to the list of frame replacements... Took mine in the other day nice size hole in the frame but safe to drive... looks like 6 months or so till replacement. Dealership stated they are now just getting frames that were a\ordered in April

17. Nov 21, 2015 at 9:29 AM
    tinker2

tinker2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Of The Big River
    I just got my call Thursday I've been waiting on for 4 months. My frame and all the parts are in for the change out. As soon as the steering rack bushings come in I ordered mine will go in. :thumbsup:

18. Nov 21, 2015 at 2:11 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    I don't wanna drive in the snow now

19. Nov 21, 2015 at 2:55 PM
    tinker2

tinker2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Of The Big River
    Did you finally get your truck done Shark ?

20. Nov 21, 2015 at 4:11 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    Yeah. Amazing. 8.3 months for the frame...plus 2.5 weeks for touch up work.

Products Discussed in

To Top