1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame rust recall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by markey, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Nov 22, 2015 at 4:57 AM
    Charlot

Charlot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 2018 Upgraded
    Hi 81Shark
    So you finally got it done,great!
    You mentioned that you don t want to drive it in the snow!
    Don t know if you do live where you really have snow like where I am,though I would defnitely suggest that you have your under truck treated for anti rust.
    I went and had a Krown done the very same week that my truck came out of Toyota.
    We were right in the mid February time,and we do have pretty good winter here.
    The guy that ownes that Krown business is also an old friend of mind,and he drives a 2015 Tundra,and he surely does the very same with his truck.
    I think that it is worth having it done,specially with all of these salt,and sand that they put all over our roads around here.
    Hope that your Tacoma is find now and that you are happy with it!
    Cheers from Canada
    Charly

2. Nov 22, 2015 at 7:37 AM
    Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dianna
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    -06 Tacoma Sport -77 FJ40 -14 4Runner Trail Premium
    Took my truck in Thursday, it was deemed unsafe to drive so they kept it and told me that it will be done in a few weeks. They said it only takes them 2 weeks to get frames in. They gave me a Corolla, I wasn't going to cry about it until I drove home in it, it smells like BO and Febreeze :( and there was a thick layer of nastiness on the inside of the windshield, along with a sticky steering wheel :annoyed:. There is NO way I can drive around in this thing, when I got home I felt like the stench was on my clothes.
    They told me that when they did a general inspection of the truck, that the front wheel bearing was loose, they wanted $800+ to fix it. I just noticed that they must disassemble that when they do the frame swap, I planned on just fixing it myself, but if they must disassemble it anyway, I will ask them to install new bearings at the cost of the parts.

We need a thread dedicated to what parts you had installed at a reduced labor rate when you had your frame replaced.

george101 and theredofshaw like this.
  3. Nov 22, 2015 at 8:42 AM
    Fitz235

Fitz235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Black '22 DCSB TRD Offroad 4WD
    - TRD T4R Pro Wheels - TRD Lift Kit - TRD Skid Plate - 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country 3's - OEM Bed Lights - OEM Bed mat - Alpharex Tail Lights - TacomaBeast LED Interior Lights - Green Lane Offroad Aluminum Sliders - Place Holder for More Bad Financial Decisions...
    I think the valet from Seinfeld is working for Enterprise now. I had two cars from them, and both were nasty.

Dianna[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Nov 22, 2015 at 11:21 AM
    Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dianna
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    -06 Tacoma Sport -77 FJ40 -14 4Runner Trail Premium
    Hahaha! "Don't you see what's happening here? It's attached itself to me! It's alive! ... And it's destroying the lives of everyone in its path."

the.sight.picture and Fitz235 like this.
  5. Nov 22, 2015 at 4:53 PM
    Fitz235

Fitz235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Black '22 DCSB TRD Offroad 4WD
    - TRD T4R Pro Wheels - TRD Lift Kit - TRD Skid Plate - 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country 3's - OEM Bed Lights - OEM Bed mat - Alpharex Tail Lights - TacomaBeast LED Interior Lights - Green Lane Offroad Aluminum Sliders - Place Holder for More Bad Financial Decisions...
    The O is supposed to stay with the B!

Dianna likes this.
  6. Nov 22, 2015 at 5:53 PM
    blazze2005

blazze2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-Runner Sport
    Fuel Off-Road Octane Wheels,Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/65/17.Grillcraft,Borla Exhaust,Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover,Pop n Lock Tailgate Security,Custom Wet Okle TRD Seat Covers,Catch-All Matts,Gatorback Belt,Shorty Antenna,Toyota Bed Matt,Sirius Radio,Vent Sades,20% Lumar Window Tint
    why do you need new steering rack bushings?

7. Nov 23, 2015 at 6:05 AM
    tinker2

tinker2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Of The Big River
    If directed at me ? My truck is @125,xxx, they have to remove the rack assembly for the swap and the stock bushings are a wear item. This is the time to replace them @ no labor cost to me. I'm replacing them with Energy Suspension Poly Urethane components.

8. Nov 26, 2015 at 7:29 AM
    95ninety

95ninety New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 ACLB 4x4 TRD OR V6 6spd
    A quick update:

Of course it took longer than 2 months, more like 6, but I picked the truck up yesterday from the dealer!

They did a pretty decent job... replaced all fluids, cabin air filter, rotated and balanced the tires, alignment, etc...

I had them put on my old suspension and cut off the rock sliders that were welded to the old frame. They threw the new suspension in the back of the truck along with the sliders.

Only a couple issues - reverse camera isn't working (although it's hooked up) and the clutch pedal start sensor seems to be borked. Other than that, it drives like new!

[​IMG]

9. Nov 27, 2015 at 6:15 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    If your frame was swapped check bolts on suspension, especially wheel bearings.... One of the things I had to now re-tighten to make my truck stop wondering on the road.

10. Nov 27, 2015 at 6:51 PM
    coryip

coryip Active Member

Member:
    WNY
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver AC
    Same here i drive my truck about 2 to 3 times a week and everytime i drive it now I get so aggravated. When i drive 40-50mph i get this vibration that was never there before. My dealer claims they can't feel it but I call BS. I am not sure what approach to take with them but my advice to anyone taking their truck in make a short video inside and out just in case. Another annoying thing is they broke my tether that holds my gas cap and they won't replace just offered me free installation if I purchased a new one. My next step is to have the tires balanced and possibly 2 new rotors. If that doesn't fix the problem then back to the dealer. I have always been happy with my truck but lately I have been thinking about trading my truck in.
    They did replace my front Cv axle at no charge but I think thats because they knew they couldn't fight the fact that the inner fender well clips were left out. When I first drove the truck off the lot I think they cut the boot when they were sucked in once I got up to speed.

11. Nov 28, 2015 at 5:33 AM
    Charlot

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 2018 Upgraded
    Hi Coryip
    Too badthat you still have that problem.
    Sounds a little different then my small vibration issue.
    For my problem,it feels more like it comes from when they reassemble my Tac,since even at a stop sign when i am stoped i still can feel that small vibration when i start moving again in my gaz pedal.
    It s not a big problem but it was nt there.

12. Nov 29, 2015 at 2:06 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    Rear transmission seal is leaking. How nice

13. Nov 30, 2015 at 12:05 PM
    dclatour

dclatour Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Latour
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport SR5
    Hey guys. Went to the beach this weekend. Got home and washed all the sand and whatnot off the truck. My hose blasts a hole into the frame. I'm out of town for work. Hoping my local dealership cooperates with this. They asked for a VIN, which I don't have on me but, I thought this was pass fail inspection thing based on your state. Pass they spray you down and fail its frame replacement.

14. Nov 30, 2015 at 12:51 PM
    JeffreyB

JeffreyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab 2.7 5 Speed 4X4
    It is pass fail like that and yours fails, you will get a new frame. They probably want the vin to look up the year. Just in time too it ends in March. Now start praying that they don't try to hose you for thousands in stuff that breaks when they take it apart like some of these guys here.

15. Nov 30, 2015 at 1:27 PM
    dclatour

dclatour Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Latour
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport SR5
    I've looked around on here and saw some horror stories. Good to hear though that they will take care of the frame. I have a deployment coming up so its a good time to have my truck in the shop for an extended period. I won't be using it anyways.

16. Nov 30, 2015 at 3:31 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Thats it ?
    You are one Lucky sob ... :D

17. Dec 1, 2015 at 12:07 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    WoW, a new use for the word Borked, which came from Judge Robert Bork, (see Saturday Night Massascre who lost his supreme court nomination on political issues...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Massacre
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bork

I went to school with his daughter Ellen...small world.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_Bork

Howard

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    george101 likes this.
  18. Dec 1, 2015 at 1:30 PM
    JeffreyB

JeffreyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab 2.7 5 Speed 4X4
    @95ninety when you say clutch pedal start sensor do you mean the clutch cancel switch or the sensor in the pedal saying it is depressed? If the latter that is a relatively easy fix assuming it is a problem with the clutch switch assembly itself. If it's in the wiring that is not so easy.

19. Dec 1, 2015 at 2:11 PM
    Newto4x4

Newto4x4 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    I see that this thread is old, but my 2006 Tacoma 4x4 had the frame recall done, and I bought the truck from the dealer.
    New frame, new shocks, new brake lines, new pads. All in all a good deal. Runs like a top, had 192k when I bought in July, now at 200k and climbing!

Incognito likes this.
  20. Dec 1, 2015 at 2:18 PM
    Charlot

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 2018 Upgraded
    Glad that you like the Tac,and mostly that hey did a good job,and mostly that it run very well.
    Cheers
    Cahrly

Products Discussed in

To Top