1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame rust recall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by markey, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Feb 5, 2016 at 11:54 AM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
  2. Feb 5, 2016 at 10:33 PM
    dclatour

dclatour Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Latour
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport SR5

Its been a little bit, but here is my current situation. Surprise! parts are not in as fast as the deal had thought, still waiting, has only been about 2 months though, I'm not too worried about that. Here's where everything gets tricky though, I deployed at the beginning of January and will be gone until the summer, the wife and kids went up to stay with family in Delaware for the time being. Toyota in Jacksonville, NC knew this and said they are willing to ship everything to a dealer in DE once it all comes in. The CSC ends next month, and I want to make sure I am taken care of. Everything is all on order so I don't want to send the Wife into a new dealer and start all over, but I did receive a survey type email from my dealer in NC that is typical after you get serviced (how was everything, did they take care of it, any issues etc..) and the Customer Service Manager in NC has not been very good at returning my wifes phone calls. Trying to make sure that they didnt close out my ticket in NC and leave me with a survey and a rusted frame. He is going to get a heated phone call from me come Monday if this issue is not resolved.

3. Feb 6, 2016 at 8:51 AM
    jon.e.b3030

jon.e.b3030 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    So i stopped at dealer yesterday to see if they knew when my frame would be in, its in, the issue they have is loaners. He said i could be done by end of next week if i dont need a loaner. So monday morning ill order my ome shocks and aal. Any ideas what else ill need? Just wanna freshen the old girl up a bit while all apart.

4. Feb 6, 2016 at 12:57 PM
    Canufixit

Member:
    First Name:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco

No Loaner??? Is it just me but this sound fishy. They can get a loaner buy picking up the phone and calling a Rental Company. Are they out of cars on their Lot?? Corp will pay - so what's the issue?? Why hold your repair hostage for this?? Perhaps they wish to bill Corporate for the loaner and pocket the gain?? Just Saying .....

5. Feb 6, 2016 at 1:12 PM
    jon.e.b3030

jon.e.b3030 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    They have loaners but the loaners are spoken for until about a month from now, the dealer near me is cranking these things out like piecework, i believe they are even taking other ,smaller dealers that dont have space,staff, etc . My sons buddys stepdad is one of the techs so i can get any answers i need. Im gonna get my shocks,etc lined up then ill see where we at. I could use my dads truck anytime. I can see that they wont just let.me walk the lot and pick a loaner ,they sell new cars not gently loaned. Just sayin

6. Feb 6, 2016 at 1:56 PM
    JeffreyB

JeffreyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab 2.7 5 Speed 4X4
    Did they have you in a new style RAV4 or was it a model back?

7. Feb 6, 2016 at 2:00 PM
    JeffreyB

JeffreyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab 2.7 5 Speed 4X4
    That is the way to go if you are going to keep it till it's reasonably old. I've already decided I will pocket repair money on anything that isn't major and won't affect longevity.

8. Feb 6, 2016 at 4:45 PM
    Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dianna
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    -06 Tacoma Sport -77 FJ40 -14 4Runner Trail Premium -19 Tacoma TRD Sport Cement Gray
    It's a 2014.

9. Feb 6, 2016 at 4:56 PM
    Canufixit

Member:
    First Name:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    As I mentioned, a call to a rental company fixes this .... JustSayin'

10. Feb 6, 2016 at 5:50 PM
    Redtaco704

Redtaco704 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's all around, Pro-Comp AAL, Pioneer in Dash DVD, Image Dynamics Component speakers, Custom 10" sub enclosure
    Anyone had any experience with dealers in the Charlotte area? I dropped mine off at Scott Clark to get inspected and don't feel like getting jerked around if they say it needs to be replaced, which I think it does.

11. Feb 6, 2016 at 8:42 PM
    tinker2

tinker2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Of The Big River
    Something else I should have had replaced when my frame was done is the front inner wheel bearing seals. The National part #710573 is on the inside of the steering knuckle/stem. They had them off and I never even thought about the seals. I just had to do the passenger side wheel bearing and of course the inner seal was bad. lol.
    If that seal was new, my wheel bearing/hub change would have been an hour deal. :annoyed:

12. Feb 7, 2016 at 1:25 PM
    Beaglesridefree

Beaglesridefree Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DBL cab 4x4 TRD Sport, Premium and Tech Pkgs

Nice to know they fixed it without giving you any crap. Still waiting for my frame to come in. Hoping for no funny business.

13. Feb 7, 2016 at 1:29 PM
    Beaglesridefree

Beaglesridefree Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DBL cab 4x4 TRD Sport, Premium and Tech Pkgs

What should I look for to indicate if mine are bad?

14. Feb 7, 2016 at 3:35 PM
    pcolache

pcolache Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Southern NJ
    I took my 2007 Tacoma to Toyota of Turnersville, NJ this past Saturday. I'll need to have the frame replaced. I was told it would probably be done around summer time. I've been flipping thru this thread, made it to page 30! I'm trying to find out if anyone else has dealt with this dealership and how did they make out?
    Thanks

15. Feb 7, 2016 at 8:59 PM
    L J

L J Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport DCLB
    I'm part of the club now. 2007 failed inspection. They didn't have any tacomas so I'm in a 2015 Highlander loaner. I'm starting to gather some parts to have the dealer install during the swap. I've got some lightly used UCAs coming from the FS section here. I'm going to get new u joints and center bearing in the next few days. I'd like to upgrade the leaf springs. Does anyone have a suggestion for replacement springs that will give me more carrying capacity with minimal lift? I've got new drums, shoes and all the hardware. The rear brakes are original to the truck so definitely need replacement. Do they replace ebrake cables with the frame? Going to stop by the dealer tomorrow to discuss all this. I'm hoping to get into a loaner truck as I need the hitch, not really liking the SUV. I'm at 130k and am considering front wheel bearings also although I haven't noticed any noise from the front. I saw a lot of trucks lined up at the back of the lot with mine waiting for frames.

Beaglesridefree likes this.
  16. Feb 9, 2016 at 11:49 AM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    I tried to get a follow-up inspection on my frame and they told me they can't because it's been inspected once about 5 months ago before I left on deployment...I should get home in April after the campaign ends, and if they won't inspect it again I'm gonna be angry.

it barely "passed" the first time, with a hole already forming in the layers next to the driver side cat.

17. Feb 9, 2016 at 12:55 PM
    a.s.

a.s. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stack
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver '07 DCSB Sport
    KO2s/5100s/Eibachs/TRD
    Man I hope for your sake that they extend the campaign past March. You'd think any respectable dealership would make a concession for one of our military brothers or sisters, especially if they're on deployment. Not sure Toyota would though. Good luck and stay safe.

18. Feb 9, 2016 at 1:25 PM
    Canufixit

Member:
    First Name:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    My inputs .....

I'd go back to that dealer and make you have that in writing - "refuse to inspect per Recall/LSC " (or what ever the correct name is ...) And tell the Dealer to be sure he stands behind the document because it's going to my Lawyer.

Second, I'd play dumb and drive it into another dealer and see what they say/do. You might get it at least checked again - or they can refuse and then I'd sill demand the refusal letter for the 2nd Dealer.

Third, I sent the paperwork to Toyota asking why they are penalizing a Vet.......

Might help, Might not - but IT would make me feel better that I at least did something before time ran out ....

19. Feb 9, 2016 at 2:01 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    i'd wager that the data is already in the computer..

20. Feb 9, 2016 at 2:05 PM
    Canufixit

Member:
    First Name:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    Agreed. But, IMO It Would not hut to try ... Besides the Second dealer many "Want" to change the frame for the work .

Products Discussed in

To Top