1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame rust sanity check

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bbartolotto, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Jun 21, 2012 at 7:42 AM
    bbartolotto

bbartolotto [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Rusty
    Topper
    Again thanks to everybody for the knowledgeable and prescriptive posts.

Yes it was the CEC that I called and first talked to Dawn who later referred me to Nicole Morris the case worker.

I made an appointment with the dealer (Rudy Luther Toyota) to have the frame inspected last week. Before the service representative Jeremy (not a technician) just went up to the truck in the entrance bay and immediately looked up under where the leaf spring attaches and put his finger thru a hole on the inside of the frame. No need to proceed from there.

Yesterday I went to the Toyota site and entered my VIN number and information and was able to view my service history. It turns out the truck was in one more time than I thought for "Misc repairs" in 2007 however when I clicked on the details I got a message stating that the data bank was not available and to try later.

And I do agree that any contact with the dealer or Toyota should always be professional and not include hostility. Keeping your emotions under control is
    necessary.

I've also identified an attorney office that specializes in Minnesota vehicle issues. It seems a lot of their work is to do with lemon laws however I filled out a form with them and my case is under evaluation. The outcome of that and my scheduled meeting next week with the Rudy Luther service manager may determine my will to fight.

I'll for sure contunue to keep the board updated.

2. Jun 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    From what I gathered, the undercoating only applies to certain states. Everything has been extremely inconsistent with this frame rust campaign but I have to applaud Toyota that they manned up and took responsibility for this problem. Kansas wasn't on that list of states I've seen but I took mine to a dealer (actually it was in Missouri but I'm registered in Kansas) and had to explain to the service writer what the recall was (I don't think they'd had one yet) and finally they got a guy who knew about it to approve the inspection and warranty. The tech took me back and demonstrated that my frame was solid (I don't think he understood I was just there to get it on file before the deadline so I qualified for the rust thing) and sent me on my way.

In short I don't think everyone gets the undercoating but everyone does get the warranty. I have till 2019 I think to get a hole in my frame.

3. Jun 21, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    The buyback wasn't announced until the spring of 2008. Was your truck ever at the dealership after that?

4. Jul 11, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    Messyt

Messyt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ah the rusty frame scam! Just keep using your truck! Don' get rid of it there is this thick greasy stuff you can put on rust that hardens it more than the steel., it turns it into zink. Use that and keep ur oldre truck! They are sooo much better than anything after 2000. Do not buy anything from the 2nd gen up. U will have terrible annoying little american car style nickle and diming issues. Yeah Toyota, if you're reading this, i want my 98 back! U told me to get a 2nd gen and i listened to you! You toyota, tricked me into taking the check for my truck when i repeatedly tried to find a diff soltion. know what toyota? here comes a big lawsuit! I'm pissed and your payoff check was bribery. No i'm not crazy tacoma world, i just got seriously shafted by toyota. I won't sleep until toyota makes this right. They can take this 2002 limted and shove it up thier asses, i'll give them thier money back but they must Trade me back for the 98 limited with sunroof! Seriously guys, even my grlfrend stated, " you went from absolutely loving the tacoma to absolutely hating tacoma." I used to recommend toyotas with passion! I was a free sponser, LOVED them! Now it is 10000% the opposite.

5. Jul 11, 2012 at 7:11 AM
    Messyt

Messyt Well-Known Member

Member:
    If i was able to swear on this foum, the last post would have had a lot more violent vulgarity!

6. Jul 11, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    This makes no sense. Does it have a name? Oh and it's "zinc".

7. Jul 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM
    95taco

95taco Member

Member:
    I am having the same issues with my 11/00 toyota tacoma . i am the 3rd owner purchased it in oct 2010. My 95 taco never had a issue so i never personally took a good hard look at the 2001 (anything after 8/00 is a 01) just did my regular maintenance and gave it everything it needed to go 300k like my 95. Now i am stuck with the run around and a truck that i paid blue book on b/c it is a toyota , that i cant do anything with. i was given the 18003314331 number, even told them of my long history of toyota's 6 in all. i even told them i would take toyota credit towards a new vehicle , heres what i was told . Call your D.A's office. The guy at the 1800 # was nice but the only answer he had for every Q was the recall ended on 9/30/11 . The vehicle was maintained at the dealership and was serviced 3 weeks prior to my purchase of the vehicle. So basically i am going to have to be as dishonest and grimy as toyota and sell it to some unsuspecting toyota lover b/c I can't afford to be stuck holding the bag of poop unfortunately. BUY CHEVY at least you know your getting a turd and you didnt pay much for it. I'm heartbroken. I think we all have no case in court.
    edit: sorry to rant feel your pain, my truck is the backbone of my business.

8. Aug 13, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    andiaut

andiaut New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma aka rust bucket
    Get a lawyer! That is what I am going to do. We took ours in had it sprayed, everything they asked us to do in the times they set us up to do it in. Needless to say it is now rusted to the point it is not safe to drive and they claim it is our fault and it is caused by abuse. I guess driving on snowy raods is considered abuse, Good Luck.

9. Jan 20, 2014 at 8:23 AM
    bbartolotto

bbartolotto [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Rusty
    Topper
    Just a quick update, I have given up all together on this and am writing it off as a loss. The time I would spend fighting it I could make more money than the cost of the frame. I know the vehicle is not technically safe to drive however after a visual check I'm willing to take that risk.

10. Jan 20, 2014 at 8:33 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Have a frame shop weld the frame up nice.

11. Jan 20, 2014 at 1:02 PM
    grovestreet

grovestreet Well-Known Member

Member:
    So if I bought a 04 tacoma in 08/2012 and registered the vehicle with the state promptly, should I receive a mail regarding the problem?

I was not aware the service campaign until 02/2013 thus missed the opportunity to replace the frame.

Products Discussed in

To Top