1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Freeze plug issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by joe2w1, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Sep 11, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    joe2w1

joe2w1 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    North Pole, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma DCab 4x4 Sr5 V6
    Ok so i have done my searching on this site and keep coming up with nothing that will work for me. I have a 2010 V6 that i am trying to install the freeze plug heater on. Every time i search i come up with info for older models or 4cyl engines. I have found 1 topic that relates to mine but im not able to get the freeze plug out. The one i found says to hit it with a screwdriver/hammer. There is no where to hit my plug with out it going in towards the block. Some pics and advice would be awesome here! I am kind of sure it's on the LR of my motor but im not exactly sure and i don't wanna fuck this up. HELP PLEASE!!

2. Sep 11, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  3. Sep 11, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    It may be too late to change strategy... but why not use a lower radiator hose heater instead? It just splices into the lower radiator hose... they come in pretty high wattage too, for quick warm up.

It would seem a lot easier to install and far less likely to spring a leak in hard to get to area. Even if you royally mess it up you're only out the cost of a radiator hose.

4. Sep 11, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Stay away from the block Joe.
    Your still under warranty. Do the lower rad hose if you must but if you mess up it's going to cost you in ways you don't want to think about....

5. Sep 11, 2011 at 5:21 PM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    I bought a block heater from the dealer. The block has a specific spot where there is a hole where the heater slides in and clips.
    No need to remove any frost plugs and worry about leaks.

There is a write up somewhere on the install, I'll try and find it.

Shawn

6. Sep 11, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Yeup your in Canada. I believe you need it there by law. (Thought i read something about it)
    Here you don't.
    A factory one from Canada would be the way to go.

http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-5127

7. Sep 11, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't see why you wouldn't use the factory block heater in the factory location. The hole is already bored there and ready to go.

The heater itself costs something like $40 or $50.

8. Sep 11, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    shawnd2

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Haha, that's funny!

I can assure you we do not live in Igloos nor is it law that we have block heaters on out cars.
    In fact I don't know of any car that includes a block heater from the factory.

Ironically. I think a bought my heater when I was in the states as it was cheaper.

Shawn

9. Sep 11, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
  10. Sep 11, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I don't know if that video is going to apply to an aluminum block. There may be a ledge behind the plug. I know there is such a thing as a "disc" freeze plug. If that's what our engines have, it won't come out that way.

I wouldn't mess with the block. The stakes are too high. Find another way. I would look for one that goes into a radiator hose, if that exists. I wouldn't know, I'm in California, cold to me is 25 degrees.

11. Sep 11, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    shawnd2

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, that was the write up I was referring to. I couldn't remember what site I saw it on.

Shawn

12. Sep 12, 2011 at 1:21 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
  13. Sep 12, 2011 at 2:18 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Never said you lived in a Igloo roflmao.
    I said i THOUGHT I read it somewhere about block heaters.
    I haven't installed a block heater since the 70's.
    I'll have the parts guys look it up today and see if they have a listing.

14. Sep 12, 2011 at 3:29 AM
    reg boulette

reg boulette Well-Known Member

Member:
    Shawn - in Alberta new vehicles are mandated to come with block heaters.

As for the OP, the Toyota block heater is an easy install. The same model fits most Toyota vehicles. You just grease it, slide it into a pre-existing hole near the starter and it clips in.

Can't find the post myself, but the original how to suggests moving the wheel shrouding on the driver's side. This isn't necessary. I would recommend attaching the heater part to the power cord part, have someone dangle it down through the engine (or hook it yourself this way as I did) and slide it into position that way.

15. Sep 12, 2011 at 3:53 AM
    shawnd2

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Things must have changed.
    When we spent a year in Edmonton, I know you could get block heaters installed as a accessory at the dealer, but I never heard them as being mandated.
    Which government department mandates this and how is it enforced?

To the OP, I apologize, I didn't mean to offend you, I glad that we helped you out with getting the right heater.

Shawn

16. Sep 12, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    reg boulette

Member:
    Spent a few years out there until back to Ontario as well....not sure who enforced it, but all new cars had to have a block heater installed. We purchased a truck in Lethbridge where it wasn't all that cold, but it was 'the rules' that the heater was included. Same with other brands as well.

Attached find a photo from a post by DefiniteChoice (thanks!) on TN - yellow circle gives a good idea of where to look for the heater plug opening. It was easier to install with the front wheels up on ramps

blockheater.jpg

17. Sep 12, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    shawnd2

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Interesting. I have lived in the North West Territories, North Quebec, and spent time in Yukon as well and have never heard that it is mandated to have a block heater.

It maybe a good idea in some areas (just like in the northern States) and the dealers may install them before sale, but again that was by the dealers choice.

In the NWT some people would leave there cars running all night due to the cold, and many didn't have block heaters.

Shawn

18. Sep 12, 2011 at 1:05 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    There cheap enough I might even get one for mine. Not that I would use it often.
    Thanks Reg for confirming what I thought I read.
    I'm not senile yet.. ERRR I don't think :p

Parts said they were to busy today to see if they had one lying around so I gave them a bunch of crap and then ordered my new springs. That will teach them. LOL

19. Sep 13, 2011 at 2:43 AM
    reg boulette

Member:
    Have also lived in NWT, been in Yukon for extended periods. Upon our arrival in NWT was really surprised to find cars starting with no one inside them...had some kind of gadget that when temperature fell to a certain degree, the motor would start and run for a while to warm it up. Lots of remote starters as well.

Up there, learned the value of synthetic oil - 0W40 -, block heater, battery blankets and how superb the Optima battery is - once left truck unplugged for 5 days at average -37 degrees celcius - and still turned over and started, although one cylinder at a time.:)

I believe the block heater requirement in Alberta had something to do with saving gas - vehicle warmed up faster. Despite floating on oil and natural gas, Alberta was advanced in energy conversation - saw my first 'wind turbine farm' in Pincher Creek, AB, quite a few years ago.

Products Discussed in

To Top