1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

From the dealer's mouth!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TOYOTA 09, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mar 2, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 [OP] Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    Just read a thread here about how much the 60K service was gonna cost at the dealer. I agree! way too much money for what they are doing. But something my dealer told me made me consider getting my big service check ups 30K and 60K etc etc at the dealer for this reason. He mentioned that when you have (or if you have) an issue with your TOYOTA, the first thing corporate and or the dealer will check is your service history. "They tend to help out cutomers who have had the major service check up done by TOYOTA." not sure what that meant but i'm considering if maybe paying that $600 may end up helping me down the road?

Just a thought! Of course i do all the 5K check up's and small stuff myself. Not that i COULDN'T do the big check up...it just may be better to have the dealer do them...so they can see my service record IF anything goes wrong.

what are everyones thoughts on this?

2. Mar 2, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    If you document and keep receipts from all your services it shouldn't matter.

3. Mar 2, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    sonjason

sonjason Pink Taco Lover

Member:
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    85 Turbo Diesel 4x4 Yota
    Sounds like typical dealer BS to me.

4. Mar 2, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    how can you document a receipt for something you did yourself?

5. Mar 2, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    SoutheastTaco

SoutheastTaco Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    columbia sc
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport dc 4x4
    rear spring tsb, 255/75/17 bfg muds
    you buy all oem filters from the dealer and keep the receipts... also the the receipts from the oil and all fluids you purchase.. they really cant fight it..

6. Mar 2, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    when you purchase all of the oem parts at the dealer, have the service department print off a work order with your full vin and mileage and have all the parts billed to the work order and pay for them through the service department. voila!

7. Mar 2, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    :eek:600 bucks!!!:eek:

8. Mar 2, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
    $600 bucks? That's a fucking ass raping.

9. Mar 2, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Bingo.

The only thing I'd like to see coming out of my "dealers" mouth is teeth. The people at Sparks Toyota in MB are a bunch of buttholes. I'd rather deal with the Ford dealership than those phucktards (I can't believe I just said that but it's true).

10. Mar 2, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    BUZZ5

BUZZ5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Many
    As for the dealer ripping you of 6 bills for checking a list of things that they probably skip half of; you can get better service by a much more experienced mechanic from the shadetree shop down the road that has been there for many years providing reliable service. There is at least one in every town, just asking around will find the good ones. Also down the road if you have a problem, such as the dealer that will still rape you of many Benjamins & the tech that did the previous service is no longer there; the old reliable mechanic knows exactly what has been done to your ride & will charge a fair price. Dealers will fill you with all kinds of bs just to keep their hands deep in your pocket.

11. Mar 2, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I'm going to Wilmington, dammit.

12. Mar 2, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    HAHAHAHAH x2

13. Mar 2, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    Joe Taco

Joe Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma PreRunner TRD OR
    Purchased truck on 1/3/10
    Heh..y'all need to get a taste of a Land Rover service schedule. And you DON'T want one of these out of warranty, so it's best to let the dealer handle it. Spark plug and wire change? $900. Headgasket replacement? $3400. My favorite (and it requires this every 3500 miles)-Oil change and "inspection"- $277.

14. Mar 2, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    If you follow a lot of threads on this board where people do not get any factory assistance when outside the guidelines of their factory warranty nine times out of ten they have not spent any money at a dealership for service.
    When a dealership is asking for goodwill assistance for a customer for out of warranty repairs, the first question asked by the factory district service and parts manager is does the customer participate (spend money) in the dealership.
    Depending on how good of a customer you are warrants what kind of help you get from the factory when you are outside the factory warranty.
    So I think it is all about building some type of relationship with a dealership I have seen a lot of goodwill repairs covered. The dealer will put pressure on the factory to get you help when you have spent money in there store whether it is covered 100% or a 50-50 spilt or they buy the part and you pay labor all depends on how good a customer you are.

15. Mar 2, 2010 at 9:48 PM
    blackbox

blackbox Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4cyl 5mt 4x4 Pyrite
    ^^^ a whole lot depends on the dealer too, right? First class service from any one regarding anything in this country is cause for celebration, and it is quite clear that there are good dealers and bad dealers. A good relationship with a good dealer, if you got that you are lucky.

16. Mar 3, 2010 at 11:25 PM
    Got Tacoma

Got Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gila
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl. Cab Sb 4 x 4 Trd
    Undercover Tonneau, Roof Rack, ABR Bumper, Warn 9.5xp, OME 886, Dakar leaf springs, Bilstein 5100 Struts and shocks
    The dealer cannot make you service your vehicle or deny you warranty service because you did not go to the dealer for their service as long as you have documentation the routine maintenance was done somewhere else.
    If you do routine service your self you will have no proof of the service being completed and you risk being denied future warranty work.

Click here to read about the Magnuson Moss of 1975

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

17. Mar 4, 2010 at 5:44 AM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    so we are screwed if we DIY!

18. Mar 4, 2010 at 5:54 AM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    It's not BS.

My mom has bought her 03' Highlander and has the service done at Bowie Toyota. When I bent my tailgate I was at 37K miles (out of warranty for the tailgate TSB). When I went to the dealership to see if they would give it to me anyway they initially said no. They said take it to corporate.

After talking to Toyota Corporate and explaining the situation, explaining that my family has owned 7 Toyotas in the past 25 years and that this dealership was giving me crap over our newest Toyota vehicle they gave Bowie a call and I was in the next day to get my tailgate replaced. Toyota swallowed a $1000+ repair bill when technically didn't have to.

Just my opinion.

19. Mar 4, 2010 at 5:56 AM
    Rhino8541

Rhino8541 I like ze best!

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS DCSB OR
    I've dealt with sparks a few times, what did they do to you? They haven't steered me away so far, they aren't my favorite dealer though, I'll agree with you there.

20. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:03 AM
    coppert

coppert Mall Krawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Not really. As mentioned above by BeefTaco the "relationship" you have with the dealer really only comes into play when there may be something outside of the normal warranty guidelines or if you are slightly outside of the coverage period. I worked in the service dept of two different large motorcycle dealers & can speak from experience that there are times when the dealer will try to get assistance from the manufacturer on a repair. The amount of effort the dealer puts forth is almost always directly related to how much service, parts, money you have put into their pockets. I am not saying that this practice is right, it is just the way it is.

Products Discussed in

To Top