1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

fron drive shaft grease zerk, uneven Oil change, and 15K service

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TOYOTA 09, May 3, 2010.

1. May 3, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 [OP] Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    I was changing the oil on my truck and when I finnished I noticed the truck was not sitting 100% level. It was a little higher in the front (about a 10 degree incline)...Should I be concerned about this?

Also, I was greasing the zerks on the driveline and noticed i could get to all the zerks except for the rear one on the front drive shaft....how do i get to that?/Do i need to grease this one? (It's up under the exhuast)

Going to do a search for 15K service DIY....does anyone know of one that gives the torq specs for all the boldts that need checking?

Thanks!

2. May 3, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    To get to the zerk fitting, remove the heat shield that gaurds the u-joint from the exhaust tubing. It takes two 13 mm hex head bolts to remove/re-install.

3. May 3, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    thanks^ how about the uneven oil change?

4. May 3, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Its called the TACO LEAN, its normal because the battery and gas tank are on the drivers side so the driver-side is lower

5. May 3, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    what he said ^^^

uneven oil change should be fine.

6. May 3, 2010 at 7:15 PM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    I can't picture a 10 deg incline very well. Hopefully others will chime in, but the worse that will happen is that they'll tell you to change the oil again on flat ground. If you're concerned, go with your gut and beat them to it, change it out on flat ground.

7. May 3, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    the front 2 wheels were about 2-3 inches higher than the back...so the truck was tilted towards the back...not side to side. Just worried about not draining all the old oil...

8. May 3, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Here's a link to the factory service manual online: Have a look through for the torques, you'll probably want to check the drive shaft u-joint flange bolts, bed bolts (just use your calibrated elbow for the bed bolts), wheel nuts, and any frame bolts. I normally only check the bed bolts.

9. May 3, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    :confused: I think he is just saying that when he changed the oil, his truck was on a slight uphill slope, and is worried that not all of the oil drained.

10. May 3, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    The plug is near the back so if it was leaned front up... should be more than fine. Even if not, you still replaced like 95% of the oil... it'll dilute the dirty old stuff. If you keep on the regular schedules I wouldn't even think about worrying about it.

11. May 3, 2010 at 10:05 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    When you change your oil you actually only change about 80%-90% of the oil in the system. There is still oil in the heads & galleys and such. To get a 100% oil change you need to change the oil once run the engine to operating temp and then change it again (waste of time). So the tilt does not really matter. As long as you let it drain until it goes from draining to dripping out you are OK.
    :D

12. May 4, 2010 at 6:00 AM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    NIce...thanks guys! Question on tightening the bolts on the fron drive shaft...the things just freely spins when i try to turn it. Should it be IN 4wd when i try to tighten it?

13. May 6, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Can you put a wrench on the nut and ratchet or wrench on the bolt? I've never tried to tighten the bolts on my drive shafts, but that could work.

Products Discussed in

To Top