1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Bilstein 5100s before or after the TSB??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gordynor, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Jan 4, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    gordynor

gordynor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Steering intermediate shaft TSB, Rear leaf TSB, Bilstien 5100 F&R, Viair 400 mounted under the hood, rear diff breather, re-routed crossmember exhaust, fixed GPS mount, in-dash CB radio, double din HU, trimmed mud flaps, etc...
    So I have a 2011 DC TRD/OR 4x4. I already threw on 265/75R16 BFG ATs, done a bunch of mods and have even taken it to Ocotillo, all before my first payment - WooHoo!! I love this truck!

I was just about to get some Bilstein 5100s for the front when I noticed that the TSB for the rear leaf pack had been updated to include the 2011 models. Sweet.

Now for my question... I know that I need to get the front end aligned after I install the 5100s. The TSB seems to include an alignment...? Should I install the 5100s (doing it myself) and THEN take it in for the TSB and get a "free" alignment? Am I just confused?

I'm doing both the TSB and the new front Bilsiens (yes, front only), I just need to know if there's an advantage to doing one before the other.

Thanks everyone!

2. Jan 4, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    free alignment!!!!

3. Jan 4, 2011 at 9:55 PM
    Rbohno

Rbohno Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Charlotte,NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD OffRoad
    Viper remote start alarm 2.5" Spacer in front, 1.5" spacer in rear, rear TSB performed N-Fab Nerf bars 16" x 8" Vision Warrior wheels 265/75/16 Dura Trac tires
    When I had my tsb performed they told me an alignment wasn't needed when I showed them the TSB printout with alignment specs?

1. I got bullshitted about needing not needing an alignment or
    2. I didn't need an alignment after tsb was performed ( have put over 10k miles on truck since TSB performed and tires are wearing properly and seems to drive great)
    I think its a crap shoot whether you get the free alignment or not. So that being said I would put the billies on first and if they align your truck great, if they don't align your truck no harm no foul because you needed an alignment anyway after the billies were installed.

4. Jan 4, 2011 at 10:07 PM
    Beerrun

Beerrun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Spokane WA
    Vehicle:
    10 Sedan Sport LB
    Fog light rewire- debadge- front window tint- 5100's @ 1.75- Toytec 1.5 AAL- Avid sliders- 4x4 lighted switch- Sockmonkey decals- Truxedo low pro QT cover- Weather Techs- Back up light Mod. Diff. breather mod. OEM roof rack-Yakima bars. HomerTaco grill. Hella Black Magic Lts. WT vent visors.
    Maybe Toyota does things different than where I work. But when we complete a TSB we file for warranty, (from the manufacture) and we're reimbursed for the repair, the whole repair, not just the part we wanted to do.

5. Jan 4, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    gordynor

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Steering intermediate shaft TSB, Rear leaf TSB, Bilstien 5100 F&R, Viair 400 mounted under the hood, rear diff breather, re-routed crossmember exhaust, fixed GPS mount, in-dash CB radio, double din HU, trimmed mud flaps, etc...
    Sounds good - I think I'll do Billies first. Anything special to install the fronts on a Taco? I installed some on my Jeep Cherokee about 6yrs ago, but I don't recall how hard it was or how long it took..

6. Jan 5, 2011 at 12:21 AM
    gordynor

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Anyone know if the TSB for the 2011 4x4 TRD includes replacing the shocks? I think it's just the leaf pack, right?

7. Jan 5, 2011 at 5:54 AM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!

A little searching goes a long way- read post #4 here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...1-dc-lb-trd-sport.html?highlight=#post2543145

8. Jan 5, 2011 at 6:07 AM
    Range 44

Range 44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2008 FJ TTE
    I have a 2011 with the tsb done, no shock replacement. No alignment since they are only going to put new rear leaf packs on. The ppl who have older tacomas got an alignment because they got new front shocks, which are now the shocks our trucks came with. This is my understanding. If you want a free alignment from a TSB I heard you get one from the steering column rattle one?

9. Jan 5, 2011 at 6:26 AM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    On the 2008 it was leafs and all 4 shocks and alignment .;)

10. Jan 5, 2011 at 6:53 AM
    gordynor

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I actually came across that in my searches, but it didn't quite answer my question. You said "I gave the 5100's to the dealer to use in place of the yellow billies" but since I have a 2011 4x4 TRD/OR and my understanding is that the TSB for that model year only applies to the rear leaf packs and NOT the shocks, I wanted to get some other opinions. I just want to be well-informed before I walk into the dealer.

11. Jan 5, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    Rossi396

Rossi396 Rossi396

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White TRD Off Road DCSB
    They did an alignment check on my 2010....No shocks here either. It calls for the alignment on the TSB whether the shocks are replaced or not.

12. Jan 5, 2011 at 7:01 AM
    Falcon86

Falcon86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beachshire
    Vehicle:
    Bone-stock
    I just got the rear TSB done yesterday, and I'm pretty sure there was no alignment done. You were correct in that they don't do anything up front, just the leafs in back, so I was assuming that explained the lack of alignment. I just ordered the 5100's, so put me down for "after".

13. Jan 6, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!

My bad, I was under the impression that the '11s received the same treatment.

14. Jan 6, 2011 at 11:10 PM
    gordynor

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    No sweat. I wasn't clear what Toyota did to the 2011 models... I hoped that they had fixed ALL of this stuff, but apparently not. The dealer just ordered the parts for the TSB and confirmed that the front suspension wouldn't be touched.

So in the end, the dealer actually answered my question. For a 2011, they don't touch the front - I chose to do the TSB first to keep it simple.

Thanks all!

Products Discussed in

To Top