1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

front bumper help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Nitronick, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Sep 29, 2010 at 11:07 PM
    Nitronick

Nitronick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Oregon City, OR
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5 v6 3.4
    [​IMG]

so im thinking of adding d ring shackles to the bumper. im going to mount them between the bolt and front tow hitch. Question is, do you think i should center them or have them lower and have them down over the tubing?

Also what size should i get? i know a 5/8 shackle is rated for enough weight but would it look to small? or should i use a 3/4?

:eek:

2. Sep 29, 2010 at 11:28 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I like the reciever you've got in front, I think I'd mount your rings,shackles,clevis as close to where your stock frame heads were/are as possible left & right respectively & keep them low to mid level height, when pulling or being pulled you want that pulling force in an "upwards" geometry..

I'm also curious about your skidplate there, is it solid or solid mesh ? so air can pass thru to radiator, a little ruff but I like your design concept ...:D

I'm still dickin' around with mine,, at least you've gotten something fabbed up & installed !! looks good

3. Sep 29, 2010 at 11:38 PM
    Nitronick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Oregon City, OR
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5 v6 3.4
    yea, or the other option that i forgot about, actually the best is to mount them right about the bolts, mounted to the plate and tube.

wait my actual skid plate? that is just the stock one. but if you talking about the stainless just sitting behind it. i just put it up there to see if it would look good or not. lol. Its not mounted at all yet. but soon it will be when i get it plasma cut for fog lights and maybe some holes for air flow then it will be :D cant decide what i want to do about holes, i wounder if just fog light holes with cut it?

get err done! bumpers actually dont cost to much to make, just the time mostly.

4. Sep 29, 2010 at 11:47 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Yeah no shit huh , but you answered my question about the stainless
    & you're cutting some holes in it so air will pass, thats alot of radiator to leave exposed as I'm sure you know, So far I've just cut away some of the ugly ass stock bumper & it actually looks ok but I need to come up with a tube type light bar with some protection for whats left of my bumper, I found & beat into shape a nice piece of steel mesh

WebDSC02723_857fc2f7f9ebc33b3f508e9f03bf758021972aa5.jpg

5. Sep 30, 2010 at 12:01 AM
    Nitronick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Oregon City, OR
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5 v6 3.4
    yea im just not sure what sizes holes yet. ill probably end of doing that this week. i have access to a shop so, i should get crackin on it since winter is coming and i will be driving my truck more.

o yea i have seen it before, it actually doesn't look to bad, and gives you more clearance i assume.? I cant imagine making half a bumper isn't hard at all, since your going to be doing it mostly for protection and lights.

6. Sep 30, 2010 at 3:39 PM
    Nitronick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Oregon City, OR
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5 v6 3.4
  7. Feb 10, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    vette6991

vette6991 Well-Known Member