1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front bumper paint

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by StormTrooper, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Jul 18, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    StormTrooper

StormTrooper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Flowmaster Super 44 w/ K&N drop in
    Bed Cap,K&N Air Filter,Chrome Pieces,Flowmaster Exhaust,Neon on inside, Heavy Duty Custom Floormats ( Tacoma ), Tint 20%, Blue license plate lights, Various decals, LED Projector Halos headlights, JVC head unit stereo
    Has anyone painted the 2.7L stock bumper the color of ur truck? i want mine white.. idk if its the same material as the higher model ones or not

2. Jul 18, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    mwild

mwild I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels
    As long as its not chrome it can be painted and last a long time.

3. Jul 18, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    dubbedSinner

dubbedSinner blisters

Member:
    Lowered 3/4, debadged, led tails, projector headlights with hids, billet grill, blacked out windows, painted front and rear bumper and grill shell. Inside, 4 crappy 15's, suede wrapped headliner and door panel inserts, alpine double din, few painted pieces inside, and every led is either blue or white.
    i painted mine to match, and i think it turned out ok. the paint i got did not match exactly though and im not so happy with that

4. Jul 18, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    I don't think its the same material, or at least they are pulled off the production line a few steps before the more expensive models.

There is a taco out here where it looks like the guy tried and failed... horribly. It looks like he did the logical thing and tried to use OEM touch-up paint. Issue was the color match was off, and he didn't sand the black plastic down first. If you sanded them down to be completely smooth with a palm sander and fine grit it might work.

5. Jul 18, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    dubbedSinner

dubbedSinner blisters

Member:
    Lowered 3/4, debadged, led tails, projector headlights with hids, billet grill, blacked out windows, painted front and rear bumper and grill shell. Inside, 4 crappy 15's, suede wrapped headliner and door panel inserts, alpine double din, few painted pieces inside, and every led is either blue or white.
    it doesnt really matter what the material is, as long as u prep it right it can be sprayed. chrome could even be painted if someone really wanted and prepped it right. i took my time and sanded it and washed it off with soappy water to get rid of all grease and oil and the paint stuck really good

6. Jul 18, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    It did! How intensively did you sand it? Primer/ Paint used? I read your build, but didn't see it mentioned.

7. Jul 18, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    dubbedSinner

dubbedSinner blisters

Member:
    i sanded it pretty good, i even got my gf to help me haha. i dont remember what grit i used but it was a low enough grit that is wouldnt make it super smooth and wouldnt leave to many scratches. i feel like it might have been 120 or 200 grit, im not sure. and i bought all my paint from here, i got the adhesion promoter that i used before the color then i cleared it, no primer.
    http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp

8. Jul 19, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Frederick County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 lug single cab
    Hows it holding up? I want to do this too.

9. Jul 19, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Common problem...the pro's blend onto the fenders to match shades.

10. Jul 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    dubbedSinner

dubbedSinner blisters

Member:
    its been holding up fine the past few months that i have done it, just a few chips which is expected for a daily. i have a buddy that paints for ford and he might be able to respray it for me as well as some other parts to match better

Products Discussed in

To Top