1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Coilsprings rubbing UCA joint

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ttran, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Feb 16, 2011 at 9:27 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

I would def. get an alignment !! I think You need to anytime anything is MODDED/LIFTED & I sent an email to toytec with some questions about the Eibachs & 5100's & they sent me back one addressing my questions & also stated that the coils provide up to 3" lift on stock UCA's/LCA's & re alignment is within specs , or so I'm told..

2. Feb 16, 2011 at 9:30 PM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner 01 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
    Ok yea i feel like we have now determined this is caused by no alignment and they are not broke in yet.

3. Feb 19, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    ttran

ttran [OP] Expert Mallcrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner Sport
    TRD Sport Prerunner
    Got an alignment done yesterday. Still clunked so I decided to take another look at the struts.... Turns out my friend who installed them for me while I was at school did not put the strut mounting plate back together correctly. These pieces right here are missing. He just put the top bolt straight back on without the little piece of rubber and whatever else is suppose to be up there. Anyone know where I can get these parts? No wonder i've been hearing it clunk hahaha

stock_strut_88de740c9ade04a65461baac7b17be98ed44c921.jpg

4. Feb 19, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
  5. Feb 19, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    ttran

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner Sport
    TRD Sport Prerunner
    anyone?

If I can find a piece of thick rubber and cut it so that it'll fit would that work? Looks like I just need something to space it out right there to get rid of the gab between the bolt and the plate

6. Feb 19, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner 01 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
    can you not like go to his house and get the pieces your missing?

7. Feb 19, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    so your missing a bushing?... toytec sells bushing kits for $20

8. Feb 19, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    ttran

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner Sport
    TRD Sport Prerunner
    I bought a new mounting plate because the one on my old shock was rusted to hell and it didn't come with bushings.

Thanks for the link! Just what I need

9. Feb 24, 2011 at 3:40 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Holy shit !! No top bushings? I mean was the bushing washer there at least ??....:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :D well now ya know anyway

10. Feb 24, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    ttran

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner Sport
    TRD Sport Prerunner
    Nope just mounting plate LOL no wonder hahaha. Bushings should be here tomorrow and i'll get them on over the weekend. Had to replace my cv axle today, was pretty easy!

11. Feb 24, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Yeah, R&R CV axles looks harder than what it really is, I've got my rear axle dropped right now silencing myu noisy leaf springs , i shoulda done it when i rebuilt my leaf pack 2 weeks ago but was in a hurry to road test, oh well they shouldn't squeek anymore....;)

12. Feb 24, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    ttran

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner Sport
    TRD Sport Prerunner
    haha, now for some tires to pair with my new wheels..... haven't made up my mind on one yet

13. Feb 25, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    ttran

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner Sport
    TRD Sport Prerunner
    So I got my bushings in the mail today. Is there a way for me to install them without having to remove the whole strut assembly. I'm thinking something along the lines of removing the main center bolt on the strut on top of the mounting plate while leaving the three surrounding bolts untouched. Then once I jack up the vehicle and relieve some tension off the spring would the strut just slide through so I'd be able to put the bushings on? Any other ideas?

Also does anyone know what order the bushings go back on? from top to bottom and on top of mounting plate or below. Thanks! I numbered the parts below.

Bushings-1_9a5061ace315f4549385e0629fecb3fab9f3f137.jpg

14. Feb 25, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    unless you can compress the spring to where it is no longer putting any tension on the assembly then no. You'll really, I mean really mess yourself up. that nut is the only thing keeping the strut and the spring together. Even if you could relieve the tension on the spring with it still installed you are taking a risk. Do it right and you'll avoid a huge head ache. Disassemble everything the way it should be, then go get an alignment as fast as you can.

15. Feb 25, 2011 at 2:51 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    strut rod, metal washer, bushing, mounting plate, bushing, metal washer, then nut. us a crescent wrench to hold the top of the strut rod while you wrench down the nut, I believe the nut you use a 17mm wrench or if you use standard I believe it's 11/16ths. Tighten the nut to where ther is at least 3 threads showing between the nut and the top. Then decompress the spring and tighten the nut to you see the bushing compress just a little, or it may be safe to leave with the 3 threads showing above the nut.

16. Feb 25, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

They'll have to come back off & disassembled because you have washer & grommett (bushing) under top plate....:cool:

17. Feb 25, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    ttran

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner Sport
    TRD Sport Prerunner
    alright guys. Seeing that the washes and rubber pieces are different sizes, can someone put them in order from top to bottom using my the numbered parts in the picture i posted?

18. Feb 26, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Don't think it will matter too much. I would put the smaller stuff on the bottom and the bigger stuff on top. Actually, I am pretty sure that's how it should go. Actually 100%

Products Discussed in

To Top