1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

front drivetrain

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TRUCKSBAD, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Oct 26, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    TRUCKSBAD

TRUCKSBAD [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4
    My son has a 1997 4x4 ...it has been parked since it needed rack and pinion work we were also working in colorado for the past 3 years and we live in Arkansas...anyhow we are in the process of getting truck running again ...I am no mech by any means but I am learning....our mech pulled the rack out and is saying the front axle wont engage into 4x4 mode and that it is locked up he doesn't know if the transfer case is good or not ...I was wondering how hard it would be to just have a solid axle with manual lock installed ...thanks for any input

2. Oct 26, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    Putting a solid axle under one of these trucks is a good little project. If you look around at different sites they make kits to do it, but if you haven't ever done it before then it will take a while. It is definitely not a weekend project and from what I've been reading it can get pretty expensive. I would get a price on fixing it and then go from there.

To Top