1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

front end growling noise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Patrick0625, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Sep 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Agreed these tacomas are hugely over hyped, or the competitions are just that bad.

Any insight on what is th worst case scenario if the vibration is left unfixed?

2. Feb 20, 2011 at 8:30 AM
    tacofred

tacofred Member

Member:
    First Name:
    fred
    salt lake city
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    3inlift,uni chip,trd seatcover,volant cold air with sweepermagniflowexhaust
    i have the same problem and ive pulled my front driveline to try and isolate the front end it has to be in the front diff cv axles or bearing i wanna give manuel hubs a shot

3. Feb 21, 2011 at 9:28 AM
    Devildoc75

Devildoc75 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Level kit, n- fab bars
    It's a wheel bearing. Just had the same symptoms. Get it checked out before your wheel goes flying off while your doin 80mph

4. Feb 21, 2011 at 11:04 AM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    not a wheel bearing. Please read the posts..

5. Feb 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    As ywen said, please don't comment when you haven't read the thread. It was not a wheel bearing issue as wheel bearings don't stop vibrating in 4wd. It's a well known problem with the front diff.

6. Feb 24, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I am going to take mine to get the same thing, glad yours turned out well. Good luck to everyone else having these problems.

7. Apr 17, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Tex, How did you fair at the dealership? I see you have a 2010. Did you have the same problem described in this thread?

8. May 1, 2011 at 6:31 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

Yes, I had the same problem as described in this thread. The dealership replaced the front diff and both cv's about the 1st week of march. Now, I am haveing the same issue even after the problem has been so called fixed. Only been two months and the vibes are back. My question is for anyone who has had toyota install the TRD lift if they have had this issue? I don't want to accuse my lift as the culprit of this issue, but never noticed it until immediately after installing my lift, and by immediately I mean the effing test drive. I have a 2.5" fat bobs urethane spacer lift with a diff drop. The mech who replaced the diff reinstalled the diff drop, so this must be ok. I will be contacting the dealer with this issue on monday and hopefully getting it in by thurs or fri. I will update when I get some news. I am very disapointed that a $30k truck can have so many issues.

9. May 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texoma: for your vibration, do you hear/feel it mostly only during cruising and below certain speed? Or do you also hear/feel it during acceleration?

10. May 4, 2011 at 2:29 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    It is right now, intermittent. When it does vibrate, it is between 5mph and about 50mph. It is especially rough when slowing down (coasting). It's been a few days since it has done anything, but when it starts up bad I plan on pulling over and doing a lil troubleshooting.

11. Sep 28, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    Tacoma2nd

Tacoma2nd Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner
    2.5 inch coil spacer and rear add-a-leaf
    i have an 06 prerunner and mine does the same thing. im thinking its a worn out universal joint?

12. Sep 28, 2011 at 8:43 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    You won't have a front end issue as explained here due to your front end lift. If you've lifted the rear with a block or leaf pack then you may have an axle vibe like a take off shudder. I also had a vibration issue with the rear end doinig about 60mph. I think that could be remedied with a carrier bearing drop or axle shims, or even the combonation of the two. Both are cheap. Old Man Emu sells the CB drop for about $10 and Pep boys has axle shims for about the same. I've also seen the shims at other parts stores in the section where the keep the truck stuff like over load springs n stuff. Do a search for rear vibes and you should find a lil more info on this subject.

13. Nov 6, 2011 at 3:59 AM
    SPORT

SPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    CA bred, currently living in York, PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4 V6
    3" level lift 1.25" Wheel Spacers
    Damn I love these forums!

I too have picked up this growling with the exact symptoms described by the OP and other who follow the topic.

A 3" level lift with diff drop was installed by yours truly approx 3,000miles ago. I currently have 13,000 miles on a Gen 2. Not sure who all is aware of THIS post, but Post #3 has pics of what I think most of us are experiencing.

I'll be scheduling maintenance tomorrow (Monday). Hopefully Warranty is still an option.

subscribed.

14. Nov 6, 2011 at 5:24 AM
    glasstaco

glasstaco Member

Member:
    ny
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4
    i also have a growl i can hear and feel. it sounds like front end, goes away when i turn the wheel to the right. took it to dealership and they say its a rear end problem. warranty will cover it but they can not pinpoint the bad bearing. sooooo i still have a growling truck until it gets worse and they can pinpoint it. i dont know how they cant pinpoint it cuz its real loud. also how does a rear bearing sound like its a front?

15. Nov 7, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    SPORT

SPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4 V6
    This sounds like a CV joint.

16. Nov 9, 2011 at 5:33 AM
    glasstaco

glasstaco Member

Member:
    ny
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4
    ^^^^if its a cv joint why is the dealership telling me its a side bearing in the rear end? i am seriously doubting my local dealerships knowledge right now.

17. Nov 10, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    SPORT

SPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4 V6
    Hearing a lot of smack about the Tacoma's. This is my second Tacoma (I had a Gen 1 Pre-Runner for 90,000miles before trading up to a 4x4). The only problem I EVER had was the battery dying...twice. Once was under warranty. However, this was understandable as I was pulling a 5,500lb camper across CA frequently.

My Gen II has been a good truck, and I'd buy it again. However, I must say it has had a few more issues than the Gen I.

With that said, I just picked-up my Tacoma from the dealer to repair the dreaded 'growling' in the front end. Like most of you, it happened between 25-45MPH and ONLY while in 4x2.

Dealer replaced, under warranty, and no questions asked, the Differential Carrier Assembly. As a note: I installed a 3" spacer lift 4 months ago and had the dealer align afterward.

Though I'm not completely sure, I think the part numbers are:
    Differential Assy EMP#990956
    Carrier Assy. 107557 & 178905

I am told they are updated parts.

If anyone can confirm or question the part #'s I'll call my dealer and get it right.

Hope this helps.

18. Nov 10, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    betipper

betipper Active Member

Member:
    London Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport LB
    Modified grill, fogs lights behind grill, leer cap, redline leather goods, hid headlights, hood lights,undercoated and oiled, beep for lock mod, fog light on mod, box lights, reverse brighter mod. bulbs, bed mats, weather tech liners, iPod interface, ome leaf pack, spacers front suspension, diff drop, drive shaft drop,
    I took it to the dealer and they had it up on the hoist we grabbed the front drive cv shaft and held it and spun the front wheels both wheels are grinding. When you spin them by hand. Has no play in the bearings at all. It was after I put the front lift on. I am a mechanic and had work for Toyota for 5 years. The mechanics all said that the Tacomas are really bad for front wheel bearings going. I am having them changed this week and will let you know if the noise goes away. I will inspect the old wheel bearings after they have been removed. I will Take some pictures if I find anything. Oblonged ball bearing rust etc. When you turn right the noise goes away. This is totally bad front wheel bearing characteristics from my point.

19. Dec 16, 2011 at 8:01 AM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    Did the wheel bearings fix your issue? I am chasing a bearing noise and wonder if it is wheel bearings or the dreaded diff bearing, although my noise does not disappear in 4WD so I am hoping not the diff.

20. Dec 16, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    I would say it is not the front diff since the noise doesn't go away in 4wd.

Products Discussed in

To Top