1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front End Knock, Need Diagnostic Help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by buick455, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Jul 16, 2009 at 5:34 PM
    buick455

buick455 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma
    I'm not sure if the protocol is to start an new thread or not, but I just discovered something on my little problem. Appreciate any help!

When I jack this truck up on the left side and go to spin the left wheel I can not turn it. Its as if the front dif is locked up. The right side, when jacked up does not do this, the right wheel will spin freely. When the left is jacked up under the a-arm the left wheel will spin, with some resistance.

My thought is the different pressure on left axle the front dif is causing it to lock up slightly on turning. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Clint

2. Jul 18, 2009 at 12:23 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    One ,hard knocking sound when turning left I think you said, sounds like you've pretty much covered the right areas in the suspension without finding anything too negative so I would start looking in the not-so-oblivious places like loose or bent or broken brackets, maybe a crack in the frame, I don't know enough about the type of miles driven on/off road, your driving habits etc; ( I mean c'mon now , I / we all get a little crazy offroad once in awhile we all want to feel what its like to have our Toy in the air. thats one of the reasons we have the damned things right ? & also along with this one loud knock you hear, do you feel it as well ?? After inspecting all the susp. components in the front without any real signs of damage you need to get the undercarriage clean & get a good light , and spend a couple of hours thoroughly inspecting all frame joints & welds , check where the body meets the frame & any parts that bolt to the frame. I don't know, can't hurt.

3. Jul 19, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    buick455

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma
    Well, here what this problem has developed into: [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Knock sound started to happen while I was going[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]straight down the highway. I would start about 65 mph(knock knock knock). [/FONT] [FONT=&quot] Its sort of a popping sound and it almost felt like it was right under[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] my clutch foot. [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]When I backed off it quit, for the most part. I am seriously wondering about that front differential.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Also, when I jack the front of the truck up and support it with jack stands on the frame the right wheel will spin freely. The left wheel will hardly spin at all, the axle will not move much. When I support it by the a arm it spins freely. At first I chalked this up to the angle of the axle to the differential but now I am begining to wonder.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I seems as if there are gears meshing that shouldn't be. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any opinions are wanted.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    Thanks for the help!!!
    Clint
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

4. Jul 19, 2009 at 7:13 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Did you check the oild in the front diff? Do you have any leaks on the front diff. You might have found the problem, but only further investigation shall prove it. I wouldn't know much since this is the first taco I had. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

5. Jan 30, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    buick455

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma
    Ok its been quite a while and I have lived with the knock when hanging a left for about two years. One single annoying knock that would happen every time I hung a left. Any way took it apart this weekend to change leaking seals at the front differential. That's when I noticed the real problem. Finally fixed it, so here's what it was not:
    Left or right half axle
    Ball Joint up and lower
    Control arm bushings
    Sway bar link
    Leaf Springs
    Rack and Pinion
    Tie rod ends
    Front differential (didn't change but pulled it and had a shop look at it)

I had two different TOYOTA DEALERS here in Denver look at it and either one had a clue either. (Don't like Go Toyota, stay away!)

So to make a long story even longer, I noticed that both front wheel bearings had sort of a hitch in them when spun with nothing attached to them, kind of a rough spot. So I put in new ones. Guess what, that was it!!!! Most of the stuff I changed was wore out, really wore out anyway, so I don't feel that bad. Now I have a truck that's ready for another 200k.

Hope this helps someone else.

Best,

Clint
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Feb 1, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    Wreckless_71

Wreckless_71 WRECKLESS for Life...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pullman, WA.
    Vehicle:
    98 ext cab Tacoma
    3" Lift via OME 881's, Bilstein 5100's, Dakar OME 3" leaf packs, MBRP custom exhaust, HID headlights, CB, Canopy, aluminum wheels, upgraded sound system, full set of studded snow tires and wheels, auxilary lighting, more to come.
    I had the same issue and it may not be anything close to what you have but I chased it around for months trying to figure it out and finally it clicked... CV's were shot. Or rather CV (singular) was shot on the driver side, would pop when there was a lot of suspension flex and momentum. It was the inboard CV and roller popping... just a thought.

Nevermind, you found it haha...

Products Discussed in

To Top