1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front end locked up while in 4 wheel in snow. why???

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Detjensyota, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Jan 31, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    Detjensyota

Detjensyota [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Vehicle:
    2000 4x4 v-6 supercharged tacoma
    Trd headers, Trd Supercharger, sway-away racerunner coilovers. Full front fiberglass hood and fenders, full 2011 Magnaflow off road exhaust. kevlar Mtr 33/12.50/15 tires . full front race bumper and rear bumper. etc
    I was in my 4x4 tacoma in about 7inches of snow driving about 15 miles per hr while in 4 wheel drive when all the sudden my front end locked up and i started to slide. I slammed in the clutch and about had a heart attack. I can still drive in 2 wheel drive but if i try to put it in 4x it wont budge . oh Man what did i doooooo.

2. Feb 1, 2011 at 12:08 AM
    rednecktaco

rednecktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    wv
    Vehicle:
    81 4x4 long bed, wk2
    taco, inchannel vent visors, sat radio, undercover bed cover, and little stuff. 81 has a few.
    My guess broken ring gear or pinion

3. Feb 1, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    Crawl under the truck and start poking around. Is the front drive shaft intact? Are the u-joints OK? Put it in neutral....grab the front driveshaft and spin it with your hands. Does it spin freely? Put it in 4WD and spin the driveshaft by hand - what does it do?

Shift it back-n-forth from 2WD & 4WD - what does it do? Is the 4WD light still on in 4WD? do you hear anything when shifting? Is it hard to shift?

4. Feb 1, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    :eek::eek::eek: I hope its nothing too serious.

5. Feb 1, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    Detjensyota

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Vehicle:
    Trd headers, Trd Supercharger, sway-away racerunner coilovers. Full front fiberglass hood and fenders, full 2011 Magnaflow off road exhaust. kevlar Mtr 33/12.50/15 tires . full front race bumper and rear bumper. etc
    thanks janster ill try and get back to you on whats going on. i appreciate all insight on this . It will shift in and out of 4wheel drive and the 4wheel drive light does come on but once it is in 4wheel drive it will not move forward or backward.The front drive shaft is intact and the u-joints are ok.

6. Feb 1, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    Detjensyota

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Vehicle:
    If it is the front ring and pinion is it easier or harder than doin the rear. I have replaced the rear myself and it was not so simple.

7. Feb 1, 2011 at 4:29 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    You need to remove the front diff to work on it. The rear is easier since it is just a 3rd member.

8. Feb 1, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    The truck won't move at all in 4WD?? Are your wheels straight? Have you tried rocking it back-n-forth?

Have you tried engaging 4LO - just to see if it'll move?

Something else to try - remove the front driveshaft and drive in 4WD.

To Top