1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front end noise over large bumps. FIXED!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Saskabush, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Sep 4, 2015 at 4:43 PM
    Saskabush

Saskabush [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Elka 2.5" DSC w/ Dakars, Archive Hammer Hangers, SPC UCAs, Timbren bumps, 16" TRD baja wheels, 265/75r16 BFG K02, 1.25" wheel spacers, TRD skid plate, N-Fab spare tire box mount.
    I have been searching TW to exhaustion and can't figure it out. Lots of similar issues but no one (that i have found) has seemed to have found the cause.

2013 TRD Sport DCLB
    3" Toytec lift with 5100's all around.
    32,000km on it. Lift was put on immediately when I got home form the dealer.
    Sway bar removed recently and that's when I really started to notice the noise. Not sure if its related or just more noticeable because of the extra movement.

Noise is coming from the front drivers side wheel. Sounds like a metal on metal tap or pop. The noise only happens when going over large dips in the road. Rough roads, potholes and speed bumps there is no noise at all. I live in Saskatchewan so when I say large dips I mean normal cars/trucks hit the breaks before going over.

Seems to happen more when the wheel is turned to the right. Sometimes I will get the same noise when turning (either direction) soon after going over a large bump and hearing the noise.

Took a video today to show what I'm talking about. I was able to capture the noise going over bumps and when turning shortly after. I can't see anything moving/binding. I'm starting to think it's steering related. Maybe the rack? I have a bit of play in the axel. Moves about 1/4" in and out where it connects to the diff. Not sure if that could be causing that sound.

And before anyone says UCA, I have checked. They only touch the coil at full droop when its on a lift. I will be replacing them soon.

Update: Sept 19, 2016

I finally got around to taking the strut off and re-seating the coil. It took a while to find spring compressors that would fit and work! The top didn't show any signs of where or anything. The rubber was in good shape and there was no wear spots in the metal. The bottom perch however did have a small shiny wear spot right where the corner of the end of the coil sat. I think that was my problem area!

When I re-assembled the strut, I made sure the end of the coil at the bottom was further away from the slope on the perch. I also twisted the coil so that the end of the coil at the top was not near any of the top plate bolts. Also, when I took the strut off I noticed that the top plate was not perfectly lined up with the bottom mount on the shock body. So when it was installed on the truck, the whole assembly was slightly twisted. I made sure that those were in line when reassembling.

After driving around a couple of days, the noise has definitely gotten better but I am still hearing the noise on some bumps/dips. But I need to hit them a lot harder now for it to happen. I think that the bottom of the coil is still moving a bit on the perch. I wasn't able to compress the coil enough to get in there and properly clean away the dirt/rust so that's likely why i'm still getting movement.

I'm just going to have to live with the noise for the time being. At least it is better now and i know now that it isn't anything that will get worse and cause bigger problems (knock on wood). The next time that strut comes out it will be to replace them with Fox adjustable coil overs!

Update: August, 2022
    IT'S FIXED!! It was the coilover. I replaced them with Elka and the noise is 100% gone now. I actually think it was the 1/2" top plate spacer that was moving slightly.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    Marc70 and ChadsPride like this.
  2. Sep 4, 2015 at 5:02 PM
    patbegley

patbegley Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCLB
    Awesome video.

I had a clunk in a new truck, turns out it was the body mounts that were pretty loose.

Just throwin it out there

3. Sep 4, 2015 at 5:07 PM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DC, 6 spd, TRD Sport
    King ext travel coilovers, Icon tubular UCA's Rear-King "Tundra" 2.5's, Allpro Expos, TRD cat-back, Hurst/Core short shift kit, etc...
    Also, try torquing down your alignment cam bolts. If those are loose, you'll have unwanted movement in your LCA's.

4. Sep 4, 2015 at 10:57 PM
    Saskabush

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Elka 2.5" DSC w/ Dakars, Archive Hammer Hangers, SPC UCAs, Timbren bumps, 16" TRD baja wheels, 265/75r16 BFG K02, 1.25" wheel spacers, TRD skid plate, N-Fab spare tire box mount.
    Thanks man. Ill give those a check tomorrow while I'm under there!

Good call... I've had a couple alignments done after the lift. I'll check those tomorrow and check back in.

Nice build btw! I love the KM2s on that wheel. If it wasn't for the 7+ months of snow and ice id rock those too!

deeezy[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Sep 4, 2015 at 11:15 PM
    imom

imom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CAL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Regular Cab
    I had a similar thing on a gen1 taco that I bought used from dealer and they checked it and found nothing...I went under myself and found loose bolts to the control arms and such. So it's either loose bolt somewhere or you got something broken in the strut tower area.

I tightened it and the noise went away...it happened when I went over a bump...scary crap...sad that the dealer didn't check. But that doesn't sound good at all.

6. Sep 5, 2015 at 6:13 AM
    devkurf

devkurf Member at Large

Member:
    midwest
    Vehicle:
    This, and try really soaking them with a good penetrating oil too. They can get rusted to the metal sleeves and cause binding, its a good cheap place to start.

7. Sep 5, 2015 at 6:45 AM
    Styx586

Styx586 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport, 2001 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    The reverberation of the noise leads me to believe it might have something to do with the coil, double check torque on all the strut top plate and strut tower bolts. Also it would be wise to make sure all necessary bushings and rubber pieces are there and in decent shape...

8. Sep 5, 2015 at 8:13 AM
    jrod2223

jrod2223 Active Member

Member:
    It sounds like its coming from the spring.

9. Sep 8, 2015 at 7:44 AM
    Saskabush

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    So I went under and checked/tightened everything. Alignment cams bolts, UCA bolt, strut top plate bolts, steering rack bolts, ball joints and body mounts. Got a couple to move a bit but they all seemed good and tight. After driving around for a couple days I still have the same noise. It didn't seem to improve at all either.

I am thinking it might be the coil now too... When I was assembling the struts, I remember having a bit a trouble getting the top nut to tighten on this particular strut. After fighting with it a bit it finally cooperated. The amount of the thread showing above the top nut is the same on both struts. And the rubber bushing on top also seems to be compressed equally on both.

How would I check to make sure its assembled correctly? Could it be something as simple as re-torquing that top nut? Is there a special position the spring should be in (rotation wise)?

10. Sep 11, 2015 at 8:55 AM
    Saskabush

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Update: Tightened the top nut of the strut as much as I could while it was on the truck. Driving to work this morning I still heard the noise on my "test bump".

Without completely rebuilding the strut I'm not sure what else to try. Is there anything else beside the strut that it could be?

11. Sep 11, 2015 at 9:13 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    The uca isn't making contact with the spring is it?

12. Sep 11, 2015 at 10:58 AM
    Saskabush

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    It does only at full droop. I'm hearing the noise when the suspension is compressed and close to stop.

13. Oct 5, 2015 at 8:30 PM
    Saskabush

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    So I tried spraying WD40 on pretty much any point of the coil that contacts anything else. Didn't seem to make any difference.

14. Oct 5, 2015 at 8:34 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Have u tried lightly riding ur brakes while hitting the test bump? If it doesn't make the sound, its ur brake pads

15. Oct 5, 2015 at 8:37 PM
    Saskabush

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Update: New pics and video. I was trying to see if the LCA bushings were causing the problem. Take a look and let me know what you think. Should they have that much play? Also, is that coil seated properly on the perch? I'm almost wondering if its pushed up the little slope a bit more than it should be and causing the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgpA41RUXAg

IMG_5357.jpg
    IMG_5356.jpg

16. Oct 5, 2015 at 8:47 PM
    Saskabush

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    I thought that too at first. But it still happens regardless of whether I'm pushing on the brakes or not.

Justus[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Oct 7, 2015 at 9:41 PM
    Markallyn86

Markallyn86 I like tacos and burritos

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Houston, TX /Heights
    Vehicle:
    Trd sport 4x4 2012
    OME kit 885, LR UCA, XD addict 17's, 265 70 Nitto, ultra gauge, weather tech
    What about the ball joint on the uca? Grab it with both hands and yank it back and forth (lol) and see if it moves or pops.

18. Oct 7, 2015 at 9:54 PM
    JohnB81

JohnB81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    OC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    trifold solid bed cover (Amazon) Pop & Lock tailgate auto lock LED Headlight/ fog lights, reverse lights, dome/plate lights AVS ventshades Smartliner front & rear floor mats Rough Country neoprene seat covers BHLM NiLight LED strip bed lights NiLight RGB LED strip lights behind rear seat storage NiLight RGB LED strip lights for under hood and behind the grill lighting NAVIKS Apple CarPlay interface on stock Entune system Auxbeam auxiliary fuse box/ switch controller Auxbeam custom fit switch panel (Etsy) Coin holder bucket (Etsy) Center console organizer HookeRoad center console vault 32” Slim LED light bar mounted on CaliRaised Offroad lower bumper brackets Suparee sequential turn signals in black smoke OEM bed mat Sokie Tech hood struts 14” Hood scoop LED light bar RGB Raptor lights with smoked lens K&N air filter with TRD air intake accelerator K&N cabin air filter ViAir portable air compressor TuffSkinz interior red color accents on doors and center console TRD faux Pro shift knob w/ TVD TRD decal Glove box letters from Tacos4Cheap MESO customs chrome delete MESO customs door handle blackout covers MESO customs minimalist key fob V1 & V2, red MESO buttons MESO customs puddle lights MESO customs dual color map lights Matte black steering wheel overlay TVD matte black glove box overlay Pedal Commander A/C drain mod Red/Black paracord grab handles Red seat pull straps LOSTAR faux Pro skid plate Rockville 8” powered subwoofer CaliRaised LED catalytic converter plates Hooke Road tailgate panel Rok-Block tailgate gap seal Rear cab USB mod (idea from @ClassyTacos) Xprite RGB rock lights Falken Wildpeak MT 285/70/R17 Painted calipers red w/ TRD decal Akebono brake pads eBay seat jackers 4WP rock sliders Bought it with: Black Rhino Hammer wheels Spacer lift 285/75/17 Toyo MT’s TRD Pro Grill Hertz Audio speakers/ KENWOOD tweeters
    After watching your last video, looks like some extra play in the lower control arm. I noticed this toward the last 30 seconds or so of the video. Could be a worn bushing,... Just a thought.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  19. Oct 7, 2015 at 11:16 PM
    shthawk

shthawk Active Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    06', dbl cab, SR5, auto
    3" full OME lift, LR upper control arms, 33" KO2, heated mirror mod, 1000w inverter.
    Have you tried removing the stock skid plate? Had the same noise and it ended up just being the left side of the skid plate hitting over bumps. Hope you figure it out and it ends up being a simple fix.

20. Oct 8, 2015 at 7:17 AM
    Saskabush

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    I will give that a try in the next couple nights. I never suspected the ball joints because there is no sound at all on rough or washboard roads but doesnt hurt to check!

I was wondering about that. The last bit of the video was me leaning into corners hard so there would be a lot of stress on those bushings. Without taking the LCA right off is there any way to check the bushings?

I was actually planning on doing that this weekend. I have the TRD skid plate on as well so I'll take both off and see if the noise goes away. Let's hope that's all it is!

Thanks for the feedback! I'll give those suggestions a try this weekend and report back.

Products Discussed in

To Top