1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front end noise

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ltdpilot, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Mar 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM
    ltdpilot

ltdpilot [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma TRD SR5
    Hi All,

I have a 2004 Tacoma Double Cab TRD with 89k miles.

Recently I began to hear a "whomp whomp" from the front end. It appears to be coming from the passenger side by the wheel. It sounds like plastic rubbing but I can feel the vibrations in the floor. No vibrations can be felt in the steering wheel. No vibrations when braking and it does not pull to either side. It is most easily heard after accelerating through 60 when I release the gas and coast. As the vehicle slows the sound can be heard but if I accelerate the sound either goes away or is drowned by engine noise (not sure which). At other times though it is there all the time. Usually I need to get above 50 first to hear the sound. The whomp whomp is faster at higher speed and will slow as the vehicle slows. It is indistinguishable below 20.

Ideas?

I thought wheel bearing but when I had it up on a jack tonight I didn't notice movement. I spun the wheel and no sounds other than the calipers which appear to be the same from side to side. I put on the spare and no change in noise. I'm stumped...

Thanks!

Ltdpilot

2. Mar 26, 2012 at 5:30 AM
    ltdpilot

ltdpilot [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma TRD SR5
    bump...

Anyone know if a bearing would show itself as an intermittent grinding noise?

3. Mar 27, 2012 at 4:51 PM
    hossmaster

hossmaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    League City, Tx
    Was a PreRunner, now it isn't
    Have you tried moving that tire to the back and see if the sound moves with the tire?

4. Sep 10, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    sjester

sjester Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 trd
    OP did you ever solve this issue?

5. Sep 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Could be those little rubber (?) flaps that attach to the frame , kinda like a splash shield, you know by the starter on pass side, maybe came loose, they are heavy enough to make some noise if enough wind gets to them...:notsure:

6. Sep 10, 2012 at 9:22 PM
    NegroTundra

NegroTundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4WD 5 spd
    Sounds like front diff issue to me....had the same noise on my 2003 Tundra which eventually showed itself when my front diff engaged but wouldnt pull (grind grind grind) one day.

Thread is a little old, maybe he lost his 4wd and ditched the truck. But then again he never said it was 4wd...just guessin here.

7. Sep 11, 2012 at 1:01 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Jeeeezus, why dont i ever check the date ??....:facepalm::facepalm: :eek:

8. Sep 11, 2012 at 3:55 AM
    ltdpilot

ltdpilot [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma TRD SR5
    Hey guys, figured out my issue a few months ago. It was a bad left rear wheel bearing. Finally took it to my mechanic and he diagnosed it after putting it up on the lift. He said it is common for bad wheel bearings to present themselves by transmitting the noise through the frame to other places. Weird eh? Anyway, changed it out and haven't had a problem since then.

9. Sep 12, 2012 at 3:26 AM
    sjester

sjester Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 trd
    Thanks for the follow up! The symptoms sound exactly like my issue. However I had the rear wheel bearings and differential replaced 20k miles ago. Hopefully one is not already bad but gives me a place to start looking!

To Top