1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Hub and Bearing ?s

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by motoedde, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Mar 5, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    motoedde

motoedde [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Edde
    Philly, PA
    Vehicle:
    '96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7L shortie
    A couple weeks back, I replaced the front rotors and pads on my 96 Tacoma. I had the dealer do it as well as bleed the entire system, as I didn't have time.

Before I replaced the pads I heard a loud scratching sound that came from the passenger side front wheel. Once the pads and rotors were replaced, the sound went away and for over a month I've been driving without the noise.

Last night, the same scratching noise appeared again so I took it back to the dealership. They claim the passenger side front hub needs to be relubed and the bearings need to be repacked with grease as they're dry. The front hub has to be manually locked, and is noticeably easier to turn than the driver's side. Last year due to an accident, my front hub assembly on the driver's side was replaced by another dealer.

I didn't think you could repack these bearings as they are a sealed unit. Any thoughts?

Also, when a new hub is installed, should it be difficult to turn and lock the hub as is the case on the drivers side?

2. Mar 5, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    The bearings are not a sealed unit. And all of my locking hubs vehicles were a little difficult to turn sometimes.

3. Mar 5, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    Slodgetto

Slodgetto Über Posre

Member:
    First Name:
    Silas
    Vehicle:
    Dirty Terc
    Scratches, dents, and junkyard parts.
    x2^ Also, I just rebuilt my manual hubs and they're still a bit difficult to turn... It's just the way they are I think.

To Top