1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

front hub bearing assembly

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by pulpwood, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Feb 28, 2011 at 3:43 PM
    pulpwood

pulpwood [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    pulpwood
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    02 V6 auto
    i have a right front bearing going out on my 02 4x4 with 138k miles. the dealership said that i cant buy a complete hub bearing assembly and that i must rebuild mine. that is fine, if it is true, but i find it hard to believe. i looked online and thought i found a complete assembly for about $140 on trdpartstore.com or some such place. it seems simpler to buy a complete assembly and rebuild the old for next time. plus having bearings pressed out and in and buying bearing, seals, race... not much cheaper if whole assembly costs what i am thinking. anyone have a clue?:confused:

p.s. i am almost computer illiterate but pretty ok with shade tree mechanic stuffs.

2. Feb 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM
    pulpwood

pulpwood [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    pulpwood
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    02 V6 auto
    it appears that i may in fact have to rebuild the old unit. after examining an exploded view diagram it looks like the bearing rests in the knuckle cavity. I have read on other posts here that the bearings must be pressed and a special tool is also needed i think. any of you do-it-yourselfers have any experience on this issue.

3. Feb 28, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    brians05taco

brians05taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Lafayette,La.
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner white debadged 4.0
    lifted, bedcover,BHLM, grill, etc...
    just had my right front changed at the dealer, long story but ended up getting a discount since they told me twice it was fine... had to actually drive it in and shake the wheel for them after numerous test drives lol changed for 220 dollars the part alone was over a hundred bucks

Products Discussed in

To Top